Skates CCM Tacks or 50K ribcor?

kerouacknew

Hey, Ive had enough of my Bauer S190 skates and have decided to go back to traditional ones.

Its mostly the 3mm blade that i don't like. I would like to got back to 4mm.

Just feel like my balance was much better with the wider blade.

Lots of good deals on the 50K/44k Ribcors and the super tacks out there now.

Just wondering if someone who has tried them could give me some thoughts on them.

Ive heard the tacks have a very stiff boot. I was wearing a pair of Reeboks before the Bauers.

Also, Is Step steal really making a 4mm blade for the Vertexx? I haven't seen it online anywhere. That could be an option as well i guess.

Merry Christmas.

Shawn

Regardless of price you gotta go with what fits. My RBK 3Ks are 10 years old but the fit great from day 1. They were bottom end models but they have held up well all these years with an average of 3 to 4 ice times a week, although admittedly at the recreational level.

I tried Grafs but it was like round hole, square peg. All the baking in the world wasn't going to make them fit better. Next up were Bauers. They were less boxy feeling but still not right. Next were RBK and it was like wearing slippers even before baking.

Don't get seduced by brand or latest and greatest. If it don’t fit, they ain't right.

Another RBK feature are lace locks on the 3rd set of eyelets from the top. You can lock the tension on the bottom laces and then lace the top set of laces independently. I'm surprised this isn’t a standard feature on skates. Things like the Scrivens lacing method are attempts to mimic this.

I think the Ribcors are the progession of the RBK skates. I have zero reasns for spending $1000 on custom skates, but YMMV.

13 hours ago, kerouacknew said:

Thanks!

No budget but kinda would like some to finish the season with. I looked at the True one piece as well but don't really want to wait 6 weeks for them.

@kerouacknew I went from S190s to Tacks to VH/True 2-piece. 

Honestly, I was just guessing on fit when I bought the Bauers and CCMs. S190s were way off for me - heel slop was terrible. The Tacks were a better fit for me, boot was indeed very stiff as you mentioned. Did not like the stock steel at all, had a much better time with Step Extreme. My problem with them was that to get a solid fit I had to really crank them down and had a lot of lower foot pain. 

I finally pulled the trigger on the True 2-piece and I am thrilled. I did my own tracings and it took exactly 5 weeks to the day to arrive at my door in the US. I went into it assuming I would swap out the holders for either the CCM or Bauer cowling, but so far extremely happy with the stock holder and steel (they come with Step). The fit is as good as everyone says - between the custom cut of the boot and the adjustable tongue, you get no negative space, it’s as close as you can get to wearing a carbon fiber sock. 

I would strongly recommend you consider going with True. By the time you go through a few sets of skates shooting in the dark trying to find something that fits, you’ll have spent the same amount (or more) of cash and wasted as much time as it takes to build them. If you are married to a particular cowling you can just get the boot built too. 

Just some thoughts from someone who went through this path too. Good luck!

42 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@kerouacknew I went from S190s to Tacks to VH/True 2-piece. 

Honestly, I was just guessing on fit when I bought the Bauers and CCMs. S190s were way off for me - heel slop was terrible. The Tacks were a better fit for me, boot was indeed very stiff as you mentioned. Did not like the stock steel at all, had a much better time with Step Extreme. My problem with them was that to get a solid fit I had to really crank them down and had a lot of lower foot pain. 

I finally pulled the trigger on the True 2-piece and I am thrilled. I did my own tracings and it took exactly 5 weeks to the day to arrive at my door in the US. I went into it assuming I would swap out the holders for either the CCM or Bauer cowling, but so far extremely happy with the stock holder and steel (they come with Step). The fit is as good as everyone says - between the custom cut of the boot and the adjustable tongue, you get no negative space, it’s as close as you can get to wearing a carbon fiber sock. 

I would strongly recommend you consider going with True. By the time you go through a few sets of skates shooting in the dark trying to find something that fits, you’ll have spent the same amount (or more) of cash and wasted as much time as it takes to build them. If you are married to a particular cowling you can just get the boot built too. 

Just some thoughts from someone who went through this path too. Good luck!

@Punisher Goalie is right, @kerouacknew! I have VH/True. I have nightmare to fit feet. 5 weeks is nothing for ultimate foot comfort.

Archived