Passau Ball Hockey vs Ice Hockey Pads

ilyazhito

I've heard good reviews about the Passau ball hockey pads, so I'm interested to know how they compare to the Passau ice hockey pads. Are the materials and technologies used in the pads comparable? What differences are there, other than the built-in sliders on the ball hockey pads?

I've been thinking about saving up for a Passau ball hockey pad set, and want to see what folks have to.say about them.

On a different note, how do Passau ice pads compare to existing ice companies' butterfly pads? I think that if I like the Passau ball hockey pads, I might try to get Passau ice pads later, when my Bauer Supreme 1S Od1ns wear out. 

I have the passau ball hockey set but i have never held a ice hockey set in my hands so i can't compare. I would say there is more nylon on the pads and blocker. I believe the internal foams are softer too. The pads were kinda stiff when new but have gotten pretty soft fast. I also think the strapping is different.

The pads are great, slide well and rebounds are fast. You have to use their sizing chart because they fit taller than normal ccm/bauer etc. However, durability is a bit lacking, the jenpro on the boot part of the leg channel got ripped open after +/- 20 games. My previous reasony efficency (when they built normal pads) where much better in that department. They're in better condition and i have played almost twice as many games with the reasony set. 

A blocker is a blocker. I had quality issues with mine at first, as the jenpro was loose on the front and the palm was not sewn properly. The pinky was rotated so it was the mesh part that got in contact with my stick. However, it was replaced under warranty.

As for the catcher, i have not used mine much. I prefer the feel of my older reasony glove. I feel the passau one is bulkier and i can't catch quite as nice with it. 

I would say the base kit (all white or black) is worth it for the price (1650$ CAD). I would not pay 1000$ cad more for a custom set as i feel the quality is not worth it. 

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

IMG_3423.JPG

IMG_3425.JPG

IMG_4186.JPG

I used their chart and was confused. On the one hand, a 20" FTK (my FTK measurement) fits in a 32+2 pad, but that pad is for people from 5'8 to 5'10. I'm 5'11, so my recommended size based on height would be a 34+2. Thus, I don't know what size to use. 

I find it interesting that you say durability is lacking. I'm surprised that one of the three approved ISBHF pad sets has a severe design flaw like that. To my knowledge, international ball hockey rules require that pads with a sliding system have sliders built into the pad, and only 3 manufacturers currently satisfy that: Passau, ReasonY, and Kenesky. 

I'm also curious about why you think ReasonY pads have gotten worse the further they've gone away from trying to replicate ice hockey pads. I get that they're trying to create a distinct ball hockey product, but it's not going to sell well when the pad has to be shipped in from Europe because there are no North American retailers that stock it. I've seen complaints on Facebook from ball hockey goalies that the rebounds are even harder than rebounds off butterfly ice pads, so is that the problem you are referring to with the newer generation ReasonY pads? 

12 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

I used their chart and was confused. On the one hand, a 20" FTK (my FTK measurement) fits in a 32+2 pad, but that pad is for people from 5'8 to 5'10. I'm 5'11, so my recommended size based on height would be a 34+2. Thus, I don't know what size to use. 

I find it interesting that you say durability is lacking. I'm surprised that one of the three approved ISBHF pad sets has a severe design flaw like that. To my knowledge, international ball hockey rules require that pads with a sliding system have sliders built into the pad, and only 3 manufacturers currently satisfy that: Passau, ReasonY, and Kenesky. 

I'm also curious about why you think ReasonY pads have gotten worse the further they've gone away from trying to replicate ice hockey pads. I get that they're trying to create a distinct ball hockey product, but it's not going to sell well when the pad has to be shipped in from Europe because there are no North American retailers that stock it. I've seen complaints on Facebook from ball hockey goalies that the rebounds are even harder than rebounds off butterfly ice pads, so is that the problem you are referring to with the newer generation ReasonY pads? 

With the rules as you stated, you might be able to use Rollerflys and attach them permanently to the insides of goalie pads. I know peoole who have done away with the straps tha thold them in place, and replaced it with Velcro.

1 hour ago, tubby34 said:

With the rules as you stated, you might be able to use Rollerflys and attach them permanently to the insides of goalie pads. I know peoole who have done away with the straps tha thold them in place, and replaced it with Velcro.

Interesting idea. If I go through with that, I'd need a second set of pads just for ice use. It might take me some time to come up with the cash. I'll consider that, but I'd first want to see what people have to say about Kenesky. Maybe I might get lucky enough to find someone with a used set in my size. 

13 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

The sliders are still in perfect shape and have not loosened up. I don't know if passau have corrected the problem as of now, but i keep hearing durability isn't perfect for other users too.

To be honest, i have not seen or held a newer reasony pads in my hands. I have heard that the screws holding the modulars parts tend to loosen and fall from the vibrations of falling in butterfly and sliding. So i have heard you either have to check the screws before each game or use locktite (which remove the modular features of the pads..)

Wow. Colour me shocked. I wonder how the high-level ball hockey goalies can afford so many sets of this stuff if the durability for 2 of the 3 major ball hockey companies sucks. Perhaps Michal will be able to refine the modular pads for the next generation (or else go back to the ice hockey-style pads).

• 1 year later...
52 minutes ago, Danica589 said:

I've come across positive reviews regarding the Passau ball hockey pads, and I'm curious to understand how they measure up against the Passau ice hockey pads. Are the materials and technologies utilized in both sets comparable? Aside from the integrated sliders on the ball hockey pads, are there any notable differences?

I'm contemplating saving up for a Passau ball hockey pad set and would appreciate hearing people's experiences with them.

On a separate note, how do the Passau ice pads stack up against butterfly pads from other established ice hockey companies? If I find satisfaction with the Passau ball hockey pads, I might consider investing in Passau ice pads when my current Bauer Supreme 1S Od1ns wear out.

Why did you just copy my OP?