Dealing with Chesty Pop Flys

WizYuan

Only applicable to goalies that are more sideways than upwardsironing board goalies need not apply

Real talk, I have a Mach chesty and my chesty I would say sits at an obtuse angle; this means stomach shots goes down and above belly button goes up.

I've been in a few situations where softies I would attempt to cradle but not feeling the puck, it pops up and is loose without me knowing I don't have it cradled. Harder shots are no problem as they actually rebound out or you can feel where it goes when cradled.

Anyone have any tips to make these more predictable?

Thanks!

Edited by WizYuan

In all honesty, the best thing that will help in all areas would be to lose some gut.

With that out of the way, could you maybe loosen up some straps up top to make it bounce less? What I would also try to do is add sections of 3D0 or materials with similar properties like adiprene on the outside of the chest where any puck would deaden against your chest and drops down in front of you.

2 hours ago, johncho said:

In all honesty, the best thing that will help in all areas would be to lose some gut.

With that out of the way, could you maybe loosen up some straps up top to make it bounce less? What I would also try to do is add sections of 3D0 or materials with similar properties like adiprene on the outside of the chest where any puck would deaden against your chest and drops down in front of you.

I was going to suggest the same. I wear a Mach too and the rebounds are quite hot (my only gripe about an otherwise amazing piece of gear). It may not just be your body shape at work here. 

14 hours ago, WizYuan said:

Only applicable to goalies that are more sideways than upwardsironing board goalies need not apply

Real talk, I have a Mach chesty and my chesty I would say sits at an obtuse angle; this means stomach shots goes down and above belly button goes up.

I've been in a few situations where softies I would attempt to cradle but not feeling the puck, it pops up and is loose without me knowing I don't have it cradled. Harder shots are no problem as they actually rebound out or you can feel where it goes when cradled.

Anyone have any tips to make these more predictable?

Thanks!

Consider your spine angle when in the butterfly

You should have a 10-15 degree forward lean from the low back, shoulders should be slightly in front of your knees when viewed from the side
Abs should be on to support you and picture pointing your tailbone to the ice

This habit will encourage a lot of other positive habits in your game.  You will see that you can now:

• Reach for gloves slightly further in front of you (which in turn helps you close on lanes to the net just inside the posts)
  • Properly track the puck with your eyes and nose on low shots ("head trajectory")
  • Close down vertical angle when the puck is tight
  • Finally to directly address your concern, a slight forward spine angle will help contain rebounds in front of you.

It's a little bit like billiards/pool.  Against a flat surface, the entry angle of an object in movement is going to be identical to the exit angle.
We can't control the entry angle or velocity, but we can control the flat surface to close down the exit.

See pics below, notice how Price looks like he's a wave cresting over the puck

image.png.6ea6e624ea2e7f115fd00d4e32ab1414.png

image.png.021e926c49b83911577950427a351956.png

image.png.97decadc7467b73d1fa3cb3bcfb91553.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...