20.2 x Px3 - A Photo Essay

Chenner29

Px3s arrived about a month ago.  I haven't been able to skate yet as I've been rehabbing an injury

Slow work day today so I thought I'd post some SxS pics with random thoughts.

Fronts -

• Both pads are base size 32. 
  • 20.2s on the left are +3, Px3 is +2.5
  • Px3 is slightly in the foreground and the tops haven't really curved yet so, but its really weird to me that Lefevre's "flex" option still seems to present stiffer and squarer

image.png.bb4b2488b5d0d2fb1f9593f457348418.png

Backs -

•  Left side on picture below shows the right leg of the Px3
  • Right side is the 20.2
  • Notice the difference in the FRS

image.png.d8416bde2bae6d8ef32c357792266cca.png

Boots -

• I realize now I didn't get a very good picture of this.
  • 20.2 is back on the left here.  Notice the cord binding the pad veers off to the right, I'm guessing this is to help keep the inside portion of the boot bound in place and flat.
  • Px3 has a discernable concavity to the boot channel.  20.2 is pretty flat
  • I think there's benefits re: having a thicker instep on the boot when you're in the butterfly

image.png.85293620b810c6133b6248738f2f27a7.png

Thigh Rise

• This was kind of marketed as the killer feature this year
  • 20.2 measures around 2-3/8" thick
  • Px3 slimmed it down to roughly 1-5/8"
    Both the outer roll and the thigh rise taper down as you get to the top of the pad
    As you get closer to the below-knee break we get back to standard outer roll thickness

image.png.d30f60afffb0b19c9933509749adcd80.png

image.png.97b0d5ca642afbce29c38d1c8fbe974a.png

image.png.cd0efedb1978ab23b2eeedb37c26974b.png

Sliding Surface

• Mistakes were made when ordering (see the white nylon calf wrap on the Px3 on left)
  • This SxS pic really shows you how much slimmer the top of the thigh is on Px3
  • Sidebar, the PPF on the 20.2 here is a year old and still going strong
  • Notice the Px3 flares out at the bottom of the shin and is noticeably thicker along the boot instep

image.png.794e631a1b28c588f805ebf7ae77632e.png

Gloves

• Another mistake here, I forgot to change to skate lace.
  • Single T on Px3 (top) vs double T on 20.2 (below)
  • Either the single T or the traditional cord seems to hold the T shape better

image.png.8849babae969a035a3223ae1552f0043.png

• Like 5

Does the concavity of the boot channel offset the thicker boot on the PX3? Otherwise, it looks like the below knee break on the PX3 is higher up (i.e. the knee block is higher) than on the 20.2. I actually ordered mine down a size based on conversations with the folks at TGC and from these pictures it looks like that was a good idea.

7 hours ago, Teezle said:

Does the concavity of the boot channel offset the thicker boot on the PX3? Otherwise, it looks like the below knee break on the PX3 is higher up (i.e. the knee block is higher) than on the 20.2. I actually ordered mine down a size based on conversations with the folks at TGC and from these pictures it looks like that was a good idea.

Not really, boot channel is about 1/2" deeper than the rest of the bottom of the pad

Shin length should be the same across both lines but i took another 1/2" off the thigh rise due to how much stiffer these are above the knee.

I have no complaints moving to a shorter shin - been in a 33" since Koho 560 through EFlex 4 and dropped to a 32" when the 20.1 came out

5 hours ago, beansbats said:

Thank you for the pics and comparisons!  I have 5 skates on my PX3 and am loving them.

-steve

Awesome, gonna try taking these out to stick time next week.  Got the go ahead to do some light goalie stuff (no RVH or anything crazy)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/5/2023 at 3:00 PM, Chenner29 said:

Px3s arrived about a month ago.  I haven't been able to skate yet as I've been rehabbing an injury

Slow work day today so I thought I'd post some SxS pics with random thoughts.

Fronts -

• Both pads are base size 32. 
  • 20.2s on the left are +3, Px3 is +2.5
  • Px3 is slightly in the foreground and the tops haven't really curved yet so, but its really weird to me that Lefevre's "flex" option still seems to present stiffer and squarer

image.png.bb4b2488b5d0d2fb1f9593f457348418.png

Backs -

•  Left side on picture below shows the right leg of the Px3
  • Right side is the 20.2
  • Notice the difference in the FRS

image.png.d8416bde2bae6d8ef32c357792266cca.png

Boots -

• I realize now I didn't get a very good picture of this.
  • 20.2 is back on the left here.  Notice the cord binding the pad veers off to the right, I'm guessing this is to help keep the inside portion of the boot bound in place and flat.
  • Px3 has a discernable concavity to the boot channel.  20.2 is pretty flat
  • I think there's benefits re: having a thicker instep on the boot when you're in the butterfly

image.png.85293620b810c6133b6248738f2f27a7.png

Thigh Rise

• This was kind of marketed as the killer feature this year
  • 20.2 measures around 2-3/8" thick
  • Px3 slimmed it down to roughly 1-5/8"
    Both the outer roll and the thigh rise taper down as you get to the top of the pad
    As you get closer to the below-knee break we get back to standard outer roll thickness

image.png.d30f60afffb0b19c9933509749adcd80.png

image.png.97b0d5ca642afbce29c38d1c8fbe974a.png

image.png.cd0efedb1978ab23b2eeedb37c26974b.png

Sliding Surface

• Mistakes were made when ordering (see the white nylon calf wrap on the Px3 on left)
  • This SxS pic really shows you how much slimmer the top of the thigh is on Px3
  • Sidebar, the PPF on the 20.2 here is a year old and still going strong
  • Notice the Px3 flares out at the bottom of the shin and is noticeably thicker along the boot instep

image.png.794e631a1b28c588f805ebf7ae77632e.png

Gloves

• Another mistake here, I forgot to change to skate lace.
  • Single T on Px3 (top) vs double T on 20.2 (below)
  • Either the single T or the traditional cord seems to hold the T shape better

image.png.8849babae969a035a3223ae1552f0043.png

So the difference in knee block location is 1 inch between the 12.2 vs the PX3?  Also it appears the thigh rise is an inch difference?  Can you confirm?

14 minutes ago, Desert Tendy said:

So the difference in knee block location is 1 inch between the 12.2 vs the PX3?  Also it appears the thigh rise is an inch difference?  Can you confirm?

Knee block is in the same location, refer to sizing charts they have been spot on for me.

Px3 is brand new and slightly in the foreground, that is why it looks taller (boot compression, thigh rise curve). 
Also note Px3 boot is slightly chonkier than 20.2, when sitting SxS the Px3 will look taller, but Px3 also has more of a boot channel

Due to the composite insert in the thigh, Px3 will not curve as aggressively above the knee as 20.2.

5 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Knee block is in the same location, refer to sizing charts they have been spot on for me.

Px3 is brand new and slightly in the foreground, that is why it looks taller (boot compression, thigh rise curve). 
Also note Px3 boot is slightly chonkier than 20.2, when sitting SxS the Px3 will look taller, but Px3 also has more of a boot channel

Due to the composite insert in the thigh, Px3 will not curve as aggressively above the knee as 20.2.

I’m so confused because when I use the chart I should be in a 32(19/19.5KNF) for a PX3 however my current pads (Kenesky 33+2 / Brian’s 33 + 1.5) line with a 33+ 1 for the true 20.2s.  The thigh rise is slightly lower about a .5 inch.  So I was thinking about going with a 33+1.5 in the PX3.

Edited by Desert Tendy

5 hours ago, Desert Tendy said:

I’m so confused because when I use the chart I should be in a 32(19/19.5KNF) for a PX3 however my current pads (Kenesky 33+2 / Brian’s 33 + 1.5) line with a 33+ 1 for the true 20.2s.  The thigh rise is slightly lower about a .5 inch.  So I was thinking about going with a 33+1.5 in the PX3.

I don't see a question here.  It sounds like you know your answer already (bold)
I provided my opinion, which is to go by the sizing chart.  I am sure other guys on here who also own the pad, as well as your retailer, will recommend the same.

But you do you.

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

I don't see a question here.  It sounds like you know your answer already (bold)
I provided my opinion, which is to go by the sizing chart.  I am sure other guys on here who also own the pad, as well as your retailer, will recommend the same.

But you do you.

Thx.