Any TF7/TF9 reviews?

On 7/1/2023 at 11:38 PM, RichMan said:

So I went to get my skates sharpened yesterday and while I was there, I asked if I could try on the TF7s. Talking with the manager, he said that True runs about 1/4 to half a size bigger compared to Bauer. So I tried on a 9.5 regular and wide.

Now looking at the toe box on the TF7/TF9, you'd think "man, that's a wide squared toe box", kinda like barefoot shoes that I'm used to wearing, ie plenty of wiggle and splay room for my toes. Well to my big surprise, I was wrong. And quite honestly very disappointed, and then sad.

Here is pretty much what I was hoping and thought I was gonna feel but quite the opposite:

Proper fitting shoes: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

What he explained to me which makes complete sense is that the toe box has been highly reinforced for protection and thus gives the large squared toe box look we see. This is an illusion and the fit is pretty much like other skates. Closest I have ever felt to that tightness is when I tried on some CCMs in my usual size 9. Same feeling as the shoe pic on the right.

The ankle wrap and heel cup felt amazing though. Should I go to a 10 just for good measure? I could try again next time, maybe this time the TF9, but I was so much hoping that I was going to move on from my Vapors, stop the foot aches and have a better overall foot protection.

I got a shot on top of the boot on the left skate, left side near the lacing during warm-ups on Wednesday night and it was not a party dance move let-me-tell-you. I'm even considering hunting down some cowling skates as my style of goaltending as I age might revert back to the old school ways and today's skates aren't built for that. 

I confirm. Despite the seemingly large volume of the toe box, the actual volume of the composite boot under the toes is much smaller and the shape follows the shape of the average foot, for which retail Trues are made

jq0HLe6VAEc.thumb.jpg.b5bdd52749aafc16d28e65434a7acef4.jpgWyvyL21Qcps.thumb.jpg.433c0238be896f9cfc2deb46d8634c85.jpg

the shape of my inserts to reinforce the sole emphasizes this very well

w5gTp-7Kpjk.thumb.jpg.850d076d1cfc6830025f06ff7ccecc2f.jpg

Shop GoalieMonkey.com Now!
17 hours ago, froese said:

Resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone has used the True Genetix insoles and what they thought of them, especially compared to Superfeet Carbon's which is what I currently use in my Tf9's. Thanks in advance.

I use the Genetix insoles in the TF9s, I've used Superfeet Yellow in the past and hated them. I find the Genetix a bit squishy at first but pretty comfortable and supportive, I had to add grips to them using liquid tape as my socks slid a bit. I do like them more than their previous footbeds and a bit more than the Graf SIDAS ones. But again, it's a pretty personal thing I find.

On 3/16/2023 at 12:14 PM, johncho said:

I'm looking for feedback on TF7/TF9. Especially from users with thin ankles/shins on how well the top of the skates wraps or provides support?

If you do get the TF7 specifically they fit awesome and will feel good on your foot for a long time (with occasional re-baking)but, the outer edge will be gedraged quickly by the post and get a ton of scratches.

These are TF9s but,

any-reason-to-be-concerned-about-this-crack-scratch-v0-88iqx0ewrhka1.webp

7 hours ago, ser33 said:

can you tell/show what it is? I have a similar problem and I would like to do something similar on my insoles. Thank you

So this is what I've used https://www.homedepot.ca/product/gardner-bender-liquid-electrical-tape-waterproof-seal-all-indoor-outdoor-uses-includes-brush-black-4oz-1-jar/1000751619

Two coats, one day between drying. Just on where the balls of my feet would land and also a lot on the heels.

I was thinking I could use https://www.amazon.ca/VIVA-DECOR-121800010-TRANSPARNT-Transparent/dp/B07PV2MNGM/ as well, but what I used is cheaper and works well for me.

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2023 at 9:56 AM, johncho said:

I use the Genetix insoles in the TF9s, I've used Superfeet Yellow in the past and hated them. I find the Genetix a bit squishy at first but pretty comfortable and supportive, I had to add grips to them using liquid tape as my socks slid a bit. I do like them more than their previous footbeds and a bit more than the Graf SIDAS ones. But again, it's a pretty personal thing I find.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Agreed that insoles in particular are incredibly personal given that people's feet are so unique. I've got some on order arriving next week so I'm looking forward to give them a try.

I used the Genetix insoles tonight and I did not like them. At all. Comfortable, yes, but for a company who's main goal is to eliminate energy loss between the foot and the skate to sell "premium" insoles that feel like waterbeds for your feet is a bit baffling. Way too squishy for my liking. I actually tossed them in the trash after my game tonight. Back to super feet for me!