Any TF7/TF9 reviews?

• johncho changed the title to Any TF7/TF9 reviews?

I’ve been in TF9s for a while now, they’re honestly more comfortable than the VH Customs I had a while back. I wish I went for a half size smaller since my ankle bone doesn’t quite line up but they’re the most comfortable skate I’ve ever had.  I do wish the holder had somewhere for a heel strap like the Bauers.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 1:07 AM, mossey3535 said:

Can anyone with wide feet comment? 

I have 10.5 4E shoe size, been fitting ok into Bauer 8.5EE for awhile now across lines

I went to get fitted at one of the top fitters in town, but need to go back as they did not have stock. I will ask if this is possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoalieInTheDesertYT said:

I read that they run big, is this true?

I heard this too, and when I used the scanner it showed me in a size smaller. However when I went to get sized they were congruent with my Bauer sizing but that could also be because I’m in the wrong size for my Bauers.

On 4/4/2023 at 9:30 AM, johncho said:

I went to get fitted at one of the top fitters in town, but need to go back as they did not have stock. I will ask if this is possible.

Hey John!

just curious- who do you mean by “one of the top fitters in (our) town”…? 
I’m fine for skates just now, but might be a good tip for me to store for later, if you’ve found a place you’re happy with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Hey John!

just curious- who do you mean by “one of the top fitters in (our) town”…? 
I’m fine for skates just now, but might be a good tip for me to store for later, if you’ve found a place you’re happy with.

Joe at B-Sharp, tell him I sent you. He’s restored and fixed my player TRUEs and saved them. He’s fantastic to work with.

On 3/30/2023 at 1:07 AM, mossey3535 said:

Can anyone with wide feet comment? 

I have 10.5 4E shoe size, been fitting ok into Bauer 8.5EE for awhile now across lines

I asked about this, he said that he’s very confident that he’s be able to put you in the TF9 wide as the TF line has more room than the Catalyst line and the 9 has more flexibility in terms of fit than the 7. YMMV

• Like 1

Got fitted, and now I have to wait until Wednesday for my game. I’m looking forward to it.

Trying it on today I feel two issues:

- My toes feel a bit cramped due to the footbed being a bit wide and overlapping up the side of the inner toe box.

- I usually have a pain spot on both my navicular on most skates, it’s better on the TF9s but I still feel a bit of discomfort on the left skate.

The first issue seems easy enough to solve. I’ll try to trim the footbed a little to make it fit better. I tried using my old Grafs that fit my previous Bauer skates and it confirmed that my old Bauers were at least half a size too big. I’ll try the older footbed first in case I mess up.

Second issue is a bit more tricky, but the right side feeling good makes me hopeful. I will play a game and see if the pain subsides. If not I’ll bring it back to have it addressed.

Edited by johncho
  • Like 1

I got a game in, and I am extremely happy with these. There's still one lingering pressure point, but it's so minor that I feel like it will work itself out. I still have to fiddle with the footbed a bit as they need adjusting.

It is very comfortable which came in handy because we got an unexpected 30min extra ice time and in my previous skate I would have been in pain. These feel very light, and I am able to angle the skates in a predictable manner (there's a cutout in the back covered by a comfortable stretchy material). 

All in all I am super happy and willing to answer any questions about them.

• 2 months later...

So I went to get my skates sharpened yesterday and while I was there, I asked if I could try on the TF7s. Talking with the manager, he said that True runs about 1/4 to half a size bigger compared to Bauer. So I tried on a 9.5 regular and wide.

Now looking at the toe box on the TF7/TF9, you'd think "man, that's a wide squared toe box", kinda like barefoot shoes that I'm used to wearing, ie plenty of wiggle and splay room for my toes. Well to my big surprise, I was wrong. And quite honestly very disappointed, and then sad.

Here is pretty much what I was hoping and thought I was gonna feel but quite the opposite:

Proper fitting shoes: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

What he explained to me which makes complete sense is that the toe box has been highly reinforced for protection and thus gives the large squared toe box look we see. This is an illusion and the fit is pretty much like other skates. Closest I have ever felt to that tightness is when I tried on some CCMs in my usual size 9. Same feeling as the shoe pic on the right.

The ankle wrap and heel cup felt amazing though. Should I go to a 10 just for good measure? I could try again next time, maybe this time the TF9, but I was so much hoping that I was going to move on from my Vapors, stop the foot aches and have a better overall foot protection.

I got a shot on top of the boot on the left skate, left side near the lacing during warm-ups on Wednesday night and it was not a party dance move let-me-tell-you. I'm even considering hunting down some cowling skates as my style of goaltending as I age might revert back to the old school ways and today's skates aren't built for that. 

• Like 1

I recently purchased a pair of tf9's in 9 wide and I will say they are pretty tight and cramped in the toes at first. I personally hate my toes touching anything in the front. I don't feel that their wide is necessarily wide enough or the heel has enough volume/depth as the eyelets are on the side of my ankle instead of in front of it. Compared to a true custom the tf9 is softer and has more flex in the boot.  

Also when you're trying on skates in store, BAKE THEM. Our true rep recommended baking them for people to try on to get the full feel as the heel will open up a bit when baked. I also suggested tapping the heel again the board or floor to get your heel fully seated when trying them on after the bake. 

Snapchat-235635969.jpg

Edited by Madmedic6

34 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

I recently purchased a pair of tf9's in 9 wide and I will say they are pretty tight and cramped in the toes at first. I personally hate my toes touching anything in the front. I don't feel that their wide is necessarily wide enough or the heel has enough volume/depth as the eyelets are on the side of my ankle instead of in front of it. Compared to a true custom the tf9 is softer and has more flex in the boot.  

Also when you're trying on skates in store, BAKE THEM. Our true rep recommended baking them for people to try on to get the full feel as the heel will open up a bit when baked. I also suggested tapping the heel again the board or floor to get your heel fully seated when trying them on after the bake. 

Snapchat-235635969.jpg

Any skates that are baked or sharpened can't be returned, no exchange or refunds. But I do agree, that would make a difference.

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Any skates that are baked or sharpened can't be returned, no exchange or refunds. But I do agree, that would make a difference.

That is brand dependent. True has a 30 day satisfaction period regardless. I have baked trues for customers to try on them on and some went with them some went with a different skate. 

On 7/1/2023 at 5:38 PM, RichMan said:

Yeah B-Sharp told me you can bake/sharpen/play in them and if you don't like it, you can return the Trues within 30 days from purchase.

My TF9s are slightly cramped at the toe on the pinky side and it's a different feeling for sure, but I am used to it now and I don't even think about it anymore. There is also a wide version like someone else mentioned, that might serve you better. I would highly checkout B-Sharp and ask for Joe, he will be able to fit you properly. 

Edited by johncho

5 hours ago, johncho said:

Yeah B-Sharp told me you can bake/sharpen/play in them and if you don't like it, you can return the Trues within 30 days from purchase.

My TF9s are slightly cramped at the toe on the pinky side and it's a different feeling for sure, but I am used to it now and I don't even think about it anymore. There is also a wide version like someone else mentioned, that might serve you better. I would highly checkout B-Sharp and ask for Joe, he will be able to fit you properly. 

I did try the wide version and it was an absolute no as well. Beside, "wide" in conventional shoes is not in the toe box but at the sides of the foot, which in my case defeats the purpose or is not where I need it. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...