Pro blocker for upper level beer league?

xmikex32

Hey guys, 

What are the opinions on “pro” blockers vs senior blockers for upper level beer league. I know level of players vary from place to place and I currently play at a level some guys can shoot but for the most part I’m not getting huge wind ups blasted at me. My warrior pro blocker has been protective enough. 

my question is should I splurge on a pro Bauer blocker or save the cash and go with senior level. I’m playing once to twice a week and some weeks I don’t play. No practice or pick up just games at upper intermediate level. I’m getting a pro level glove but I usually think a blocker is a blocker but I don’t want the blocker to crap out prematurely. 

Since you’re asking - I think you’d be fine with senior. Nearly all senior level stuff anymore is pretty close to pro in materials with just a few unique features separating the two. Point being - I don’t think protection and/or durability would be a concern on a blocker. That said - my OCD would kick into overdrive “mixing” the two so if it were me - I’d go pro. 

Personally, I've moved away from pro pads but stick with pro gloves. They're made better, have improved materials and last longer.  
But you go with what feels right for you.  
That's my 2 cents.  

The senior would be fine. I had a 3x before my hyperlite and if I’m being honest I didn’t notice much of a difference between the two feel or protection wise, the only thing is the pro has harder faster rebounds and might be a tiny bit more durable. Glove though definitely pro for the protection. 

• Like 1

I’m going pro definitely on the glove and yes my OCD would also kick in and bug me especially if the blocker wore out and I had to try to match another blocker to the glove. 

right now it’s senior pads with pro glove/blocker or senior blocker 

I always stand by the recommendation that Senior level gear is more than adequate for most beer leaguers.

Except,

I recommend that the one piece you don't skimp out on is the catcher. The improved durability and, most importantly, protection level you get from the Pro line does a great job at extending the life of the glove and how much you love it. 

Senior pads and blockers are more than protective enough and perform well enough that you're truly not missing out on a major amount by shelling out twice as much. 

I play in upper intermediate beer leagues and half the guys I play against are in all senior gear. Other half are in all Pro. Neither one has an impact on their ability to play the position at a decent level. 

You should have zero qualms about rocking a senior blocker in beer league. 

• Like 1

I've been rocking senior level pads with pro gloves. My previous blocker was a the first time I got a senior blocker. It was fine for the most part, but I did occasionally feel shots through it. Not enough to leave a bruise, but enough that I went back to using a pro blocker. But for the most part, you should probably be fine with a senior blocker.

54 minutes ago, tgfoo said:

I've been rocking senior level pads with pro gloves. My previous blocker was a the first time I got a senior blocker. It was fine for the most part, but I did occasionally feel shots through it. Not enough to leave a bruise, but enough that I went back to using a pro blocker. But for the most part, you should probably be fine with a senior blocker.

What level were you playing at?

On 5/12/2023 at 11:03 AM, xmikex32 said:

What level were you playing at?

Currently, technically Bronze 2, but our league doesn't have a gold division any more so everyone kept dropping down which forced us to drop down. We were mid/lower silver before depending on winter or summer. Though even in this division, every team has at least a few guys who can rocket pucks.