Brown 2400 C/A - Impressions

Chenner29

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted any content and thought that since these are not available to inspect at any retailers, this would be a good one to share.

I picked a used 2400 chest and arm unit off GGSU a couple months ago, so that I could have a unit to use while I shorten the arms on my P1. 

I've given it a couple dozen skates to jot down some thoughts for you all.

Let me start by saying that since I purchased this used, I didn't get to go through the highs and lows of the break-in process.  It was pretty well used (and stinky) when I got it, so the first thing I did was clean it out and do some stitching to repair some tears.  It also came with John's "high collar" neck guard, which I immediately swapped for a more traditional looking neck guard off an old Koho 588 unit. 

These things are absolutely bulletproof, but you do lose some mobility - although the latter could be because it was not custom sized to me.  I occasionally scrub in for a local college ACHA team when their goalies are out, and skate infrequently with some Junior A to ECHL level guys.  80% of my ice time is mid level beer league.  Quite frankly, for the level hockey I'm playing now, this unit doesn't make sense as it's a bit of overkill.  Against some poorer shooters, I'd actually lose the puck if it hit me in the chest or arms because I wouldn't even feel the impact.

The units are also very heavy compared to modern offerings - I would joke with guys that I was getting absolutely ripped wearing this thing, and then throw the whole thing at them so they could see what I was working with.  Unlike anyone else in the industry, John uses plastics in his chest and arm padding, hence the heavier weight.

image.thumb.png.887732c7886ea3718f6e6938db6aded0.png

Front pic: you can see some of my repair work on the left forearm pad and the left shoulder floater.  The tear at the forearm looks like it was caused by friction from rubbing with the plastic piece on the end of the forearm pad.  Also note the smaller profile neck guard that I installed.
You can definitely see the influence this unit has had on a modern unit like the Reebok Premier 1 with the wraparound ribs and general overall shape.

The arm floaters are his "NHL spec" version.  He said he still offers the old spec, which is a little more flexible.

image.png.af617b02e59db135db0ab0b190c1224c.png

Here's a shot of the back, I added the tie down on the inside but never used it.  The nylon straps across the back were too narrow for me to wear the unit outside my pants, so I tucked and used suspenders.  You can also see the rest of the neckguard from the Koho unit.  Also note the extra pad just below the left wrist for extra protection underneath your glove.
I like that he uses nylon straps back here, IMO this should be a standard across the industry.  Notice how they lead into the clips on the right, which are protected by a piece of foam.

image.thumb.png.29febe117cac59650153556ce69defbf.png

Here's one of my favorite features - a mushroom end on the wrist strap.  Keeps the hook side velcro from pulling through the D-ring.  IMO this should be standard everywhere, too.

image.thumb.png.2512d09f70a23cdb77f4939a2819156e.png

Back of the elbow caps.  Note that John doesn't do the lace and holes to hold the elbow caps in - he has these velcro pieces both above and below the elbow.
IMO this is a little bit of over-engineering, and I can see the velcro losing it's stickiness over time as it catches fibers off jerseys.  Still, a nice feature and it really makes the unit feel premium.
I noticed that if I tightened these down too much, the upper bicep pad would pinch into my arm, limiting mobility.

image.thumb.png.fa610099587a9fbf81a1e19d5ab71ddd.png

Doubled up rib padding.  The inside actually rests inside a cutout for the wraparound ribs. 

That's all, drop me a line if you've got any questions.

10 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

80% of my ice time is mid level beer league.  Quite frankly, for the level hockey I'm playing now, this unit doesn't make sense as it's a bit of overkill.  Against some poorer shooters, I'd actually lose the puck if it hit me in the chest or arms because I wouldn't even feel the impact.

Great write up... and I'm with you on the quote above. I'm finalizing an order w/ Passau now for a Pro Pack unit ($ ahead to just do Pro Pack instead of the onesie twosie upgrades I was going to add) and it is one of my concerns. I'd say I see 60-70% of my time against mid level beer league and I know I just won't feel it. I get a strange look from guys who press me for why sometimes I have odd rebounds in slower skates then in faster ones... "Guys... if you really wanna know... it's because you don't shoot hard enough."

On 3/26/2018 at 1:03 AM, Chenner29 said:

image.thumb.png.2512d09f70a23cdb77f4939a2819156e.png

Back of the elbow caps.  Note that John doesn't do the lace and holes to hold the elbow caps in - he has these velcro pieces both above and below the elbow.
IMO this is a little bit of over-engineering, and I can see the velcro losing it's stickiness over time as it catches fibers off jerseys.  Still, a nice feature and it really makes the unit feel premium.  I noticed that if I tightened these down too much, the upper bicep pad would pinch into my arm, limiting mobility.

I've never had any problems with the velcro straps across the elbow cup getting worn down.  It may be a dated design but its not something you should worry about.

Archived