Foreign Brands of Equipment

RichMan

It's no secret that European countries have been creating and producing their own brands of gear for many decades. We can think of Koho, Tackla, Jofa, STRI, REY to name a few classics.

The more recent ones that come to mind is Miklin, MK4, MARK, KOVA, etc.

The one that seems to have dominated quite a bit has been Miklin, mostly in the Russian systems. MK4 looks like a close second.

Watching a Supreme Hockey League game on YouTube tonight made me realize how dominant north American brands are in Europe. Bauer looks to be the top favorite or should I say most present wherever their elite programs are. CCM seems runner up and maybe 3rd is Warrior.

It amazes me that a Canadian based brand/manufacturer has been able to take hold of this sport worldwide despite foreign brands be able to put forth as good a product for their own.

One thing that I'm surprised about is that Asia has yet to produce their own brand of equipment to compete, just like they do in the high end of road cycling (carbon frames and components). I'm aware that they have a very little market or consumer group on their territory but they could of still tried, especially now that they acquired the know how from our Canadian/American companies manufacturing overseas. 

And another thing or 2 that I've noticed; I'm not aware if there are forward gear brands in Europe and I've never seen another skate brand other than Graf come out from there.

Maybe our overseas brothers can chime in? My friend @estogoalie ?

There are other small brands in Europe, but usualy not big (or good) enough to make it to the profecional leagues. Other thing is sponsorship and contract of the clubs with Bauer, CCM...sometimes even in highest league goalies can´t decide brand of their equipment (some can, some can ´t). 

I can think only about REY masks form Czech Republic, which are used regulary in profesional hockey.   

M4G (M4G - ULTIMATE GOALIE GEAR (m4ghockey.cz) - small custom brand, in past same was DV Hockey (dv-hockey.com) now only repairs and service work). There are some other brands like STA (STA Šťastný (sta-stastny.cz) but their products are not on part with big brands.  

As an european goalie - we still love "made in Canada" gear 🙂.    

Edited by mik
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, mik said:

There are other small brands in Europe, but usualy not big (or good) enough to make it to the profecional leagues. Other thing is sponsorship and contract of the clubs with Bauer, CCM...sometimes even in highest league goalies can´t decide brand of their equipment (some can, some can ´t). 

Exactly, if a goalie gets traded, he often has to switch brands. Even our national team is sponsored (by CCM) and I've seen goalies playing in the EHT with covered logos on their gear.

Rey and VHV Opus were two very common brands back in late 90s, early 00s, mostly because of availability, not everyone could get their hands on "Made in Canada" gear. Both brands still exist, but they narrowed their offer. Rey focuses mostly on masks and Opus offers only knee pads, jocks and clavicle protectors.

Edited by havlicekdom
Wording
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, havlicekdom said:

Exactly, if a goalie gets traded, he often has to switch brands. Even our national team is sponsored (by CCM) and I've seen goalies playing in the EHT with covered logos on their gear.

Rey and VHV Opus were two very common brands back in late 90s, early 00s, mostly because of availability, not everyone could get their hands on "Made in Canada" gear. Both brands still exist, but they narrowed their offer. Rey focuses mostly on masks and Opus offers only knee pads, jocks and clavicle protectors.

And mostly due the money back then. 

How could I forget OPUS? Unbelievable (local joke 😀). 

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2023 at 11:55 AM, keeperton said:

Don't forget RXS masks and Wall masks. Seems like there's some great masks that come out of Europe.

I think Wall and Kova are only Euro- brands in NHL. Not sure about underwear etc. , maybe Aycane because they made underwear for Timo Meier (if I remember correctly).

And Jofa heritage lives strongly in CCM gear.