The definition of a custom skate and its conception?

As I ponder on the subject and although I have a general idea of what is the process of getting custom made skates, there are some questions that come to mind. 

I know that they use these digital scanners of sorts to measure width, length, height, etc. But even with all this data, how truly custom are these skates? Are they built from scratch from top to bottom or are they created off of a general last/frame and only have minimal adjustments to the user's needs?

If I use a simple example; I have a narrow foot but I like my toes to splay out (just like in barefoot shoes) and generally, skate toe boxes are built kind of narrow. Would they build/mould a new toe box to accommodate my request or is it more "this is what we got, take it or leave it" kind of deal?

You can build a custom car from the frame and chassis up. You can build a dress suit from one stitch to another. Is it or can it be the same for skates or are they limited to they have?

Both true and ccm should be able to accommodate your needs. All you get with bauer custom is quarter sizes. If memory serves there was a period of time where true didn't do proper custom and just picked whatever foot last they had stored and was closest to yours with a few adjustments. As of last year I know for certain they're doing proper custom again (probably ties in to when they switched scanning processes).

• Like 1

Both ccm and Bauer offer semi custom skates. Meaning they use pre formed shells that are distorted/padded appropriately for the print out of your foot scan. 

True on the other hand is a fully customized skate. Meaning it is pieced together around the printout of your foot from the inside out. 

24 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

Both ccm and Bauer offer semi custom skates. Meaning they use pre formed shells that are distorted/padded appropriately for the print out of your foot scan. 

True on the other hand is a fully customized skate. Meaning it is pieced together around the printout of your foot from the inside out. 

Ccm custom offer a fully custom shell and their higher level of custom offers nearly every option the pros get with the exception of being able to order an older model. Last I heard bauer doesn't even adjust the padding for their retail custom skates

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Ccm custom offer a fully custom shell and their higher level of custom offers nearly every option the pros get with the exception of being able to order an older model. Last I heard bauer doesn't even adjust the padding for their retail custom skates

Ccm offer's the total custom and total custom pro for skates. Total custom pro has more options in padding and face/eyelets placing (even or offset) and boot height +/- on the player side at least. Both with performed shells as far as I know. 

You could look into konekts… they accommodate up to EEE but mold to your feet during the fitting process. I have super wide forefeet and they’re the first skates I’ve had in years that haven’t hurt my feet.

On 1/16/2024 at 3:53 PM, Toobs said:

You could look into konekts… they accommodate up to EEE but mold to your feet during the fitting process. I have super wide forefeet and they’re the first skates I’ve had in years that haven’t hurt my feet.

When big brands (and some smaller ones) mention EE or EEE, it usually means bigger at the mid point of the foot, so basically where your arch is located, the width side to side. Problem is that for someone with a large forefoot or looking for that kind of space/shape, unless you got thick feet and heels, the rest of the shoe/boot/etc feels loose or sloppy. I doubt Bauer will create a injection mold for each and every different order, that would be too expensive for them and it would be put onto the customer.

My Bauer Vapors are borderline ok but I could use a 1/4" each side for optimal comfort. I tried on CCMs in the same size and my toes felt like they were shoved into a funnel. I tried on the True TF7 and TF9 in regular and wide and my toes felt the same. 

I tell you, once you get into foot shaped footwear, going back to the industry standard just feels wrong.

image.png.7774b15cf7903c21c233bfd6b938b99b.png

True full customs solve this issue for me.   I skate in those for goal and TF9 EE's for skating out.  The difference in comfort between the two is night and day!  As you said, my toes feel funneled in the TF9's, whereas the custom skates felt like a (very stiff) pair of old sneakers from the first bake.  Literally no pressure points anywhere, snug at the heel, just the best feeling set of skates I've ever had.  

4 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

True full customs solve this issue for me.   I skate in those for goal and TF9 EE's for skating out.  The difference in comfort between the two is night and day!  As you said, my toes feel funneled in the TF9's, whereas the custom skates felt like a (very stiff) pair of old sneakers from the first bake.  Literally no pressure points anywhere, snug at the heel, just the best feeling set of skates I've ever had.  

Nice to know. Is there a spec read out from the scan on the spot you can see or is it all a "behind the counter" kind of experience? Are there any videos on the process out there? I'll try to look for one on my side in the meantime.

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

It appears the process has evolved

What's dumb is that the scanner has to use the front-facing camera, so you (the scanner) can't see whether you got the customer's foot in the rectangle or not and adjust on the fly. As the scanner, you're kinda just relying on your positioning from experience doing previous scans with the selfie stick as well as the dinging sound the app makes.

Our store has an iPad to scan with so the whole scanning stick and iPad is a big unwieldy.

On 1/16/2024 at 2:53 PM, Toobs said:

This 👆

14 hours ago, RichMan said:

For 1500$, I would of expected a more sophisticated dock station with maybe a rotating camera on a swivel or track to have a more precise scan and less balance or swaying issues. Just a thought 

From a retail perspective this is just more expensive equipment that doesn't generate much profit for the space it takes up.   The iPad gets dumped in a drawer and comparatively costs True or the store very little $$$   

From reviewing my own scan and those of a couple other employees, I can tell you that the iPad scanning method does a really good job of capturing the nuances of your foot.   The results speak for themselves.  I've held on to my True customs for 5 years, which is far and away the longest I've used any piece of gear in the last 15 years.  They've given me no reason to move on, and when I do I'll be very torn between another pair of Trues or Konnekts.  

I can see the selfie stick method being extremely frustrating though.  I get the issue they were trying to solve (the unnatural crab walk around the customer with your head at crotch level while trying to avoid bumping into customers who feel the need to shortcut through the skate fit area) but if you can't see the screen, it's no good.  

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 1:34 PM, RichMan said:

When big brands (and some smaller ones) mention EE or EEE, it usually means bigger at the mid point of the foot, so basically where your arch is located, the width side to side. Problem is that for someone with a large forefoot or looking for that kind of space/shape, unless you got thick feet and heels, the rest of the shoe/boot/etc feels loose or sloppy. I doubt Bauer will create a injection mold for each and every different order, that would be too expensive for them and it would be put onto the customer.

My Bauer Vapors are borderline ok but I could use a 1/4" each side for optimal comfort. I tried on CCMs in the same size and my toes felt like they were shoved into a funnel. I tried on the True TF7 and TF9 in regular and wide and my toes felt the same. 

I tell you, once you get into foot shaped footwear, going back to the industry standard just feels wrong.

image.png.7774b15cf7903c21c233bfd6b938b99b.png

No that’s not how it works with konekts. There’s both an inner liner and an outer shell, both of which are heat moldable. I have EE forefeet but normal mid feet and heels, and the konekts fit my feet perfectly. Almost feels like wearing a sock or slipper. You just have to be fitted correctly when buying them.

They can accommodate up to EEE but as narrow as needed because the whole skate molds to your foot during the fitting process.

Edited by Toobs
  • Thanks 1