Warning for those switching from skate laces to bungee toe ties - to help you avoid injury

Zigactly

15 hours ago, keeperton said:

This whole thread has confounded me in a way I'm not sure how to describe. I've seen a fair amount of elastic toe tie libel on goalie-based social media. So apologies if the rest of this post comes across incredulous; I've been thinking about this nearly all week.

It might come across as flame, but like, how do you play this position and have week enough legs that the elastic of your toe ties contorts your knees enough to mess them up? Are you all not testing your gear before stepping out onto the ice prior? Are y'all not punching your feet/toes to the ice in the butterfly so you can engage your edges sooner when down and instead kicking your feet up when going down instead of driving your knees down when going into the butterfly like I've spent countless hours teaching the kids in my youth program to do?

Drive the knees, test your equipment, keep your feet (especially your toes like in the toe-lock in the RVH) close to the ice instead of up like old leather-strap toe-ties forced them prior to '97.

Your gear should never be causing injuries and elastic toe-ties are very likely not the problem. The Bauer ties are rather low tension, comparable to the EcoPro Foam ties. I've been running the same pair of Pro Laces for nearly 4 years without issue from them, so I'm super unsure how others have worn through them.

None of us here are doctors who've accessed the OP to determine any pre-existing conditions. We're also not all the same when it comes to the condition of our body, strength of joints, flexibility, etc... I can only give anecdotal evidence that if your cord is too tight and doesn't allow enough give it can indeed cause additional stress on the ankles. Does that mean your knees are going to have MCL and ACL tears? I don't know the answer to that.

I'm not sure about the "weak legs" part because having strong calves and, quads, and hamstrings doesn't mean you're immune to having knee or ankle issues.

One of the other goalies at the rink I play at tore his MCL just from dropping into the butterfly, also uses Pro Laces, and for me even when I had them on the tighter side I did aggressive drops and never experienced any problems beyond some ankle tension. This is why I don't like to make absolute statements when it comes to these topics because we're not the same.

57 minutes ago, OldSchoolGoalie said:

None of us here are doctors who've accessed the OP to determine any pre-existing conditions. We're also not all the same when it comes to the condition of our body, strength of joints, flexibility, etc... I can only give anecdotal evidence that if your cord is too tight and doesn't allow enough give it can indeed cause additional stress on the ankles. Does that mean your knees are going to have MCL and ACL tears? I don't know the answer to that.

I'm not sure about the "weak legs" part because having strong calves and, quads, and hamstrings doesn't mean you're immune to having knee or ankle issues.

One of the other goalies at the rink I play at tore his MCL just from dropping into the butterfly, also uses Pro Laces, and for me even when I had them on the tighter side I did aggressive drops and never experienced any problems beyond some ankle tension. This is why I don't like to make absolute statements when it comes to these topics because we're not the same.

I won't disagree with you on anything you're saying as it can all be valid. 

Though, that's still omitting the biggest question mark from the OP's post about the bungees being so tight thst his toes were pointed upwards when in the butterfly. 

That shit has me perplexed and is clearly getting everyone else just as confused. 

Doesn't help that dude makes a first post and then dissapears immediately. 

Clearly this is Dudo's burner account and he's come to spread more slander about bungees.

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I won't disagree with you on anything you're saying as it can all be valid. 

Though, that's still omitting the biggest question mark from the OP's post about the bungees being so tight thst his toes were pointed upwards when in the butterfly. 

That shit has me perplexed and is clearly getting everyone else just as confused. 

Doesn't help that dude makes a first post and then dissapears immediately. 

Clearly this is Dudo's burner account and he's come to spread more slander about bungees.

I have no idea why the OPs toes would be pointing up with bungees. If you had skate lace with zero slack and you're getting the same result with bungees that would be extremely odd. When I used my Pro Laces from before I didn't have slack or use a hybrid setup with lace like I do with my own, but even then the bungee should still give enough - it might be a lot more stiff and lead to ankle pain but you shouldn't be locked in. I have never seen a bungee that wouldn't give personally, and the OP being an adult would raise additional questions as to why this would happen.

The only thing I can possibly think of is when criss-crossing the bungee through one's skates they did it so many times or so far back to the point the bungee was already fully stressed and left like that, pretty much the same effect as if you just had skate lace.

I come from the school of toe straps and buckles. When I was trying to learn the butterfly technique and recoveries and slides etc, that was hell'a stressful on the ankle and knees, especially if you're no double jointed gumby.

When moved to toe ties with laces, it was better but still no cotton candy and gum drops.

Now with bugees/elastics, it's soooo muuuuch better and even though I still don't have any more butterfly flare as Bigfoot interviews, it allows me to continue playing with the modern style all the fresh kids are doing 😀 

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, RichMan said:

I come from the school of toe straps and buckles. When I was trying to learn the butterfly technique and recoveries and slides etc, that was hell'a stressful on the ankle and knees, especially if you're no double jointed gumby.

When moved to toe ties with laces, it was better but still no cotton candy and gum drops.

Now with bugees/elastics, it's soooo muuuuch better and even though I still don't have any more butterfly flare as Bigfoot interviews, it allows me to continue playing with the modern style all the fresh kids are doing 😀 

I'm in the same boat. I went from using a bootstrap to trying lace with modern pads, didn't like it, went right to bungees, then to my own hybrid. Works well and I wouldn't even consider going back.

• Like 1