Sock mod for knee pad

wigalicous

What started as a mod strictly for aesthetic purposes turned into one which provided function as well as form. I like to wear socks over my knee pads but I never liked the bagginess of the socks from under the knee throughout the calf area. I figured as these socks were designed for players shinpads the extra fabric just felt sloppy in my opinion and I wasn't fond of the look. To do this mod I started by removing the velcro tab and cutting approx. 6 inches off the top of my sock. I then hemmed the top of the sock and re-attached the velcro tab (please excuse my poor sewing skills). As hockey socks are tapered, moving the bottom portion of the sock up to my knee area fit quite a bit tighter around my knee pads than the socks had previously fit before being shortened. This encased my knee pad and keeps everything feeling much more connected and stable. The elastic from the bottom of the sock was now also moved up directly below my knee so assisted in keeping the kneepad up where I wanted it. Attaching the velcro tab to my under armour baselayer  pulls the sock tight to my thigh and in combination with the tension in the fabric and elastic directly under the knee provides a more connected and stable feeling in my knee pad than what I had previously experienced with my former sock set up.  I have attached pictures below which display the new sock length side by side with a full length senior sock as well as a profile and portrait view of the sock over my knee pad ( I wear Bauer supreme knee pads for reference). I wear knee high cut proof socks with my skates so my calves aren't exposed or if you wear a full leg base layer it would also cover your calves. I have used this setup throughout my beer league season this year and feel that the on ice performance has been positive with no issues to date. 

socks 1.jpg

socks 2.jpg

socks 3.jpg

Edited by wigalicous
  • Like 3

• wigalicous changed the title to Sock mod for knee pad

Nice. I think I've seen pro's do something similar to get that tight fit on the knee for the knee pads.

I have never needed to go to this extreme (yet) but I've noticed the lack of tightness if a beer league team's socks doesn't fit quite right. Luckily 1 of my current teams knitted socks have shrunk a bit, making it tight enough for my knee pads.

I had a similar issue and bought intermediate socks and have been very happy using those. Tight enough on the knee pad and long enough to cover most of my leg.

i should mention I bought the cheapest pair I could find first to see if they would work. I’ve since color matched to my equipment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Nice. I think I've seen pro's do something similar to get that tight fit on the knee for the knee pads.

I have never needed to go to this extreme (yet) but I've noticed the lack of tightness if a beer league team's socks doesn't fit quite right. Luckily 1 of my current teams knitted socks have shrunk a bit, making it tight enough for my knee pads.

@creasecollector I saw Merzlikins wear something similar in an older Bauer instagram post but from the position of the stripes on the sock it looked more like he cut off the bottom and then added elastic under the knee pad. But I could be wrong. I can't wear the knitted socks they make me too hot but I am happy you found something that works for you.

5 hours ago, DALV1 said:

I had a similar issue and bought intermediate socks and have been very happy using those. Tight enough on the knee pad and long enough to cover most of my leg.

i should mention I bought the cheapest pair I could find first to see if they would work. I’ve since color matched to my equipment.

@DALV1That makes sense. Do you have any pics of them on over your knee pads you could share?

4 hours ago, jerd31 said:

I use these over my PAW knee pads and they keep them in place just fine.  

@jerd31I have never seen these before. How is the durability of the material? I like that they cover the full leg as well instead of just the knee. Do you have any pics of you wearing them? I am interested in trying these out but would like to see how they look first.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wigalicous said:

@jerd31I have never seen these before. How is the durability of the material? I like that they cover the full leg as well instead of just the knee. Do you have any pics of you wearing them? I am interested in trying these out but would like to see how they look first.

I have a game tonight so I'll try and remember to take a pic.  They last me a good while- I've gotten about a year out of a pair but I can probably get more out of them.  They're cheap enough to replace every once in a while.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerd31 said:

I have a game tonight so I'll try and remember to take a pic.  They last me a good while- I've gotten about a year out of a pair but I can probably get more out of them.  They're cheap enough to replace every once in a while.  

Thank you much appreciated. I am pretty curious about trying these myself.

16 hours ago, wigalicous said:

I saw Merzlikins wear something similar in an older Bauer instagram post but from the position of the stripes on the sock it looked more like he cut off the bottom and then added elastic under the knee pad. But I could be wrong. I can't wear the knitted socks they make me too hot but I am happy you found something that works for you.

Just looked it up now. Yeah, seems similar.

EP8YfABWsAEIyHc.jpg:large

4 hours ago, jerd31 said:

A pic would be cool to see for me as well. I have always wondered if compression pants would be too tight over a knee pad, but i suppose if the knee pad is small enough it should be okay. Likely not the way to go for my giant KOHO 589 knee pads, but always nice to see what other goalies are doing.

7 hours ago, wigalicous said:

Thank you much appreciated. I am pretty curious about trying these myself.

5 hours ago, creasecollector said:

A pic would be cool to see for me as well. I have always wondered if compression pants would be too tight over a knee pad, but i suppose if the knee pad is small enough it should be okay. Likely not the way to go for my giant KOHO 589 knee pads, but always nice to see what other goalies are doing.

Here you go fellas.  There’s a grip band on the inner top of the sleeves which helps keep them from slipping down, although the knee pad itself also keeps them compressed pretty well.  I get zero slippage/movement on my knee pads with these.  

IMG_9092.thumb.jpeg.a1e264d834e8953efe3ffbceddc09f33.jpeg

IMG_9093.thumb.jpeg.72b581fc65e9091f460cf827b28502d3.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jerd31 said:

Here you go fellas.  There’s a grip band on the inner top of the sleeves which helps keep them from slipping down, although the knee pad itself also keeps them compressed pretty well.  I get zero slippage/movement on my knee pads with these.  

IMG_9092.thumb.jpeg.a1e264d834e8953efe3ffbceddc09f33.jpeg

IMG_9093.thumb.jpeg.72b581fc65e9091f460cf827b28502d3.jpeg

Nice! Those look comfy too. Do you find it to ever be too tight or just right amount of tightness?

Edited by creasecollector

I've used both of these tactics but don't like the INT socks to go down to my ankles. And actually the SR socks cut to the length of my Warrior knee pads are better fit than INT socks without cutting.

But for easier setup, and if you want a cut protection from socks, the INT size is the way to go. SR makes a better fit but also a lot more effort. 

This comment goes with my thin shins/calves and Warrior knee pads. 

• Like 1