Cateye vs open mouth cage

Math.

Searched around, haven't found anything.

Anyone ever tried the open mouth type of cateye cages?  I need to order a cage for a mask and wondered if I should give it a try.  Always thought it looked funny but I guess the reasoning behind it makes sense (having a better visual close in).

If you tried it, what are your thoughts?  Pros and Cons.

Thanks.

Screenshot_20181025-132323~2.png

Had one and just went back to regular cateye style. Moved both into and out of the open mouth style just because of what was available at the time -- not a purposeful choice.  I can't say I noticed better visual in close. But it is a lot easier to get a squirt of water without taking off your lid with the open mouth.

36 minutes ago, MTH said:

I've never seen these. 

The dude on the right looks more comfortable. Different shape faces though. The dude on the left looks squished.

There's a lot going on on that picture, obviously, the masks are different, the guy wearing them is different, so on and so forth.  We can clearly see that Hiller's mask is a lot more taylored to his facial features than Genoni though.  But talking stricly from a cage perspective, it's easy to see that Hiller's cage is a LOT less crowded bellow the nose which would make for better puck tracking in close.

1 hour ago, Math. said:

There's a lot going on on that picture, obviously, the masks are different, the guy wearing them is different, so on and so forth.  We can clearly see that Hiller's mask is a lot more taylored to his facial features than Genoni though.  But talking stricly from a cage perspective, it's easy to see that Hiller's cage is a LOT less crowded bellow the nose which would make for better puck tracking in close.

It's also worth noting that Hiller's open mouth as actually even more open than the standard open mouth cage in your original post.

I currently have one, but will prob just go back to a normal cat eye when this one needs replacing - I've not noticed a massive improvement in visibility, and whereas my old cat eye had a large single centre bar, this open-mouth one has the two thinner bars which i'm not a fan of. 

I originally got the open mouth because i was sick of replacing cages where the curved, under-eye bar had bent back and figured the open mouth would be better because that bar in particular is supported by the short vertical bars. Net result is that the short vertical bars just get bent back now instead ? Plus the damn thing is ugly as sin!

On 10/26/2018 at 1:44 PM, raucebyalien said:

I currently have one, but will prob just go back to a normal cat eye when this one needs replacing - I've not noticed a massive improvement in visibility, and whereas my old cat eye had a large single centre bar, this open-mouth one has the two thinner bars which i'm not a fan of. 

I originally got the open mouth because i was sick of replacing cages where the curved, under-eye bar had bent back and figured the open mouth would be better because that bar in particular is supported by the short vertical bars. Net result is that the short vertical bars just get bent back now instead ? Plus the damn thing is ugly as sin!

Great, thanks for the input.  I'm also tired en bending cages but I figure it's just part of the game!

Archived