Retro design ideas

TheWall0211

I’m having Dennis make me a custom set of pads.  This is my first Ruston set.  I want the set to be brown and as retro looking as possible - just with modern design.  Waffle board design on the blocker is a must.

How much should I direct Dennis?  Or should I let him loose with those instructions alone (as retro as possible)?

any thoughts or ideas?  Design ideas are welcome too.

thanks.

51 minutes ago, TheWall0211 said:

I’m having Dennis make me a custom set of pads.  This is my first Ruston set.  I want the set to be brown and as retro looking as possible - just with modern design.  Waffle board design on the blocker is a must.

How much should I direct Dennis?  Or should I let him loose with those instructions alone (as retro as possible)?

any thoughts or ideas?  Design ideas are welcome too.

thanks.

In my opinion... if you have particular ideas of what is Retro to you... definitely share those thoughts w/ Dennis. Some would consider simply having all Tan/Brown with knee rolls make them Retro. But little touches like the ones I listed below can go a long way if that's what makes Retro to you...

• Patched logos w/ text instead of more modern embroidered/transferred logos
  • Logo placement (knee roll vs. thigh)
    • image.png.1bd3458a209209f9132b6650fc78179a.png vs. image.png.5c752432770e1ceef781326d94ada424.png
  • Thread color on stitching (black vs. white)
  • Faux (or actual) straps on the shin face & boot
  • Binding color (match pad color on bottom & white on top to mimic the old felt)
    • image.png.3d9a2acb38f066279fcdf73e9e2ca0f7.png  image.png.e4e427a89ac00a3660740df39c045b43.png

I wear a set of Retroflex now and I've been happy with them, but I certainly think CCM could have gone further with it. Things like using their old logo would have been a nice touch that they don't offer. 

Image result for ccm hockey logo

3 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I wear a set of Retroflex now and I've been happy with them, but I certainly think CCM could have gone further with it. Things like using their old logo would have been a nice touch that they don't offer. 

It really is too bad. That logo is dripping in nostalgia.

Having dealt with Dennis (Factory Mad, right?), he isn’t too into knee rolls, etc. what you will most likely end up with is stitching to suggest knee rolls and vertical stitching. A modern take on the retro. I am not trying to discourage. He may be more open than what my last impression was. The worst that can happen is a “no”.

That being said, he has a KILLER retro tan material. I have it on my gloveset. It looks like leather, almost like an aged horsehide. He does not have camel, nor do I think he has chocolate brown. 

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

In my opinion... if you have particular ideas of what is Retro to you... definitely share those thoughts w/ Dennis. Some would consider simply having all Tan/Brown with knee rolls make them Retro. But little touches like the ones I listed below can go a long way if that's what makes Retro to you...

• image.png.1bd3458a209209f9132b6650fc78179a.png vs. image.png.5c752432770e1ceef781326d94ada424.png
  • Binding color (match pad color on bottom & white on top to mimic the old felt)
    • image.png.3d9a2acb38f066279fcdf73e9e2ca0f7.png  image.png.e4e427a89ac00a3660740df39c045b43.png

Of course you could find a person with a Cricut and make this logo. Not that hard. I may do it for a buddy...

I talked to Dennis yesterday.  He’s really excited because he’s never done a full retro set.  He’s ordering a special brown material to build the set.  It’s going to be brown, not tan.  The stitching will be vertical.  All accents, including the waffle board, will be black.  It should be sweet.

6 minutes ago, TheWall0211 said:

I talked to Dennis yesterday.  He’s really excited because he’s never done a full retro set.  He’s ordering a special brown material to build the set.  It’s going to be brown, not tan.  The stitching will be vertical.  All accents, including the waffle board, will be black.  It should be sweet.

Very cool. I’ll have to bug him for a sample of the brown.

On 4/26/2019 at 10:10 AM, BadAngle41 said:

I just thought of this for details: I have been seeing toe caps and even buckles sewn on to suggest those things. I don’t know that Dennis would do that, but it never hurts to ask.

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I just thought of this for details: I have been seeing toe caps and even buckles sewn on to suggest those things. I don’t know that Dennis would do that, but it never hurts to ask.

I don’t think I would do that.  It’s a cool idea but I’d be worried that the caps and buckles would alter puck rebounds and movement.  Dennis is very into clean lines for rebound control.  And I play at a high level, so that’s important to me too.  But the idea is really cool.

1 hour ago, TheWall0211 said:

I don’t think I would do that.  It’s a cool idea but I’d be worried that the caps and buckles would alter puck rebounds and movement.  Dennis is very into clean lines for rebound control.  And I play at a high level, so that’s important to me too.  But the idea is really cool.

I actually agree 150%. I suggested it to go along with that particular post. Dennis lived through the 10” long mattress needles and stuffed pads with chipped foam and would rather stay current. You have no need for silly details like non-functional toe caps if you play at a high level.

For me, his glove is the BEST closing glove. Love his blocker, as well.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

For me, his glove is the BEST closing glove. Love his blocker, as well.

I haven’t used his blocker but he sent me a demo glove and it was amazing.  The basket is nice and deep.  It has a really nice feel.  I haven’t been using the demo pads quite as long but they also feel really nice.  I’m still getting a little used to them, but I fee like my mobility is increased and sliding is easier compared to my Brian’s.

1 hour ago, TheWall0211 said:

I haven’t used his blocker but he sent me a demo glove and it was amazing.  The basket is nice and deep.  It has a really nice feel.  I haven’t been using the demo pads quite as long but they also feel really nice.  I’m still getting a little used to them, but I fee like my mobility is increased and sliding is easier compared to my Brian’s.

I’ve never used his pads because I am so much shorter than his typical customer; therefore demos are scarce. I got addicted to how he builds a glove five years back when he fixed a basket case Warrior catch. He has fixed three gloves for me, I have one from a few years back and am having him build another (kelly green to go with my new green obsession: California Seals, Hartford Whalers and Minnesota North Stars). 

Archived