Piranha Peg review

I bought a pair when I bought my Supreme 1S glove. I had read about them here.

Joe Messina may be maligned here for a variety of reasons, but being that these are literally the cheapest BYO peg option on the market at $75 per pair, I wanted to try them. I always felt that the items like his edge protectors and these pegs were solid offerings. I will not parody these or the edge protectors for the goal posts, as there is no gimmick with those products.  They do come in a heavy-ish U-Line tube container to carry them in. Mine was damaged, but I pin that onto Diluted Hockey’s sterling  packing for shipment, not the manufacturer. Diluted Hockey was whom I bought these and my OD1N glove from. 

I tried these at a stick and puck today. I want to thoroughly try these out at no pressure situations before trying them in game situations. 

My initial impressions are this: I should have looked on YouTube before trying them the first time. The lack of metal on the base (save for the claws) did not allow you to bang them into the ice using the weight of the goal. I tried banging them into the ice and got a teeny bit frustrated trying to get them in.  Maybe in another scenario, a ref could get them in. I know rink staff would have a cow if I had brought in a mallet! Despite being a lower Midwest late spring day today, the ice in this facility was pretty hard. The goal did stay on the pegs, but I know they weren’t deep enough to stay in if the net were pushed. These will never be a Marshpeg, but my days of skating in rinks that use those is dwindling. Waiting for a rink attendant to drill the holes is a pain. When Marshpegs dislodge, it is a production to get the goal back onto the Marshpeg.

I do see how when properly installed, these would do well and only allow the goal to  break away when pushed hard enough. I freaking HATE the regular rink pegs, and even as poorly installed as they were, they were a vast improvement. Had they been installed correctly, I think they would be great. I do attribute this to user error, though I have a solution that I would go ahead and make *IF* I had access to a machine shoppe.  

Maybe one way to improve these would be some sort of installation tool to use with the goal, allowing you to drop the goal on top of the tool with the pegs under to help drive them in. That would significantly increase the price. Again- I should have watched YouTube before using these. 

If they were a bit intuitively easier to use, these would get a higher grade. I will add to this review as time goes on with more usage.

I have a set and I set them up by just holding them in my closed hand and tapping them into the ice 2-3 times. Obviously you have to go down on your knees to reach the ice but it works perfectly.

I don’t think these are meant to be jammed all the way down into 3 holes. I just think they need a little ice broken up and the spikes will grip. I’ve shot a little water from my bottle in there for good measure too. 

3 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I have a set and I set them up by just holding the in my closed hand and tapping them into the ice 2-3 times. Obviously you have to go down on your knees to reach the ice but it works perfectly.

I don’t think these are meant to be jammed all the way down into 3 holes. I just think they need a little ice broken up and the spikes will grip. I’ve shot a little water from my bottle in there for good measure too. 

I will keep that in mind. 

Anything is going to be better than the stock options at the rink. These are cheaper than ANYTHING else and LOADS easier to use than the Marshpegs. 

I remember the old magnetic posts that were used in the NHL. I played on a team that used an NHL rink as our home rink, and that was the option. They were interesting to say the least. Let's just say you could get a great push off from those, but you were going to hurt if you were pushed into the net!   

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Joe Messina Any feedback on the proper installation? Should the plastic flange be at ice depth and the metal spikes flush into the ice?

Thanks for writing. Being that we now offer two different set sizes (5/8" and 1/2"), this gives users, arena staff and equipment managers several options depending on ice depth/thickness and quality of ice. Both sets have been extremely popular however I would suggest referring to our FAQ page on our website which will answer all questions. Yes, the rubber peg base needs to be installed all the way into the ice to work properly. 

Link: http://www.piranhapeg.com/faq

Install video of college referee installing peg:

Archived