Finally buying true skate later today. 1/2 extra or 1/4 extra size room to grow

Jonathon v

Hey guys my foot isn't done growing yet. I am thinking of getting an extra 1/2 size room to grow, just in case my foot rapidly grows a bit. This is what the true rep told me his words exactly

The arch will be placed exactly where it is shown in the photo, the end of the boot will have size added. If the end is just getting extra room, will i still get insane energy transfer if its a bit big on the boot? the ankle and heel should fit perfect i believe 

Honestly, I wouldn't go for a boot as stiff as the Trues while your foot is still growing. Not only do feet grow length wise, they also grow width wise. The shape of your arch may change as well. 

The problem of these custom skates is that they're SO well-formed to your foot, that there's no wiggle room. My feet haven't changed in years, but if I lace my Trues too tight, I can still get cramping. 

If you want energy transfer, stick with the Jetspeed FT2s and their one piece boot. I'm also assuming the stock Trues (on goalie monkey) are more forgiving with their room and thermoformability as well. 

2 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Honestly, I wouldn't go for a boot as stiff as the Trues while your foot is still growing. Not only do feet grow length wise, they also grow width wise. The shape of your arch may change as well. 

The problem of these custom skates is that they're SO well-formed to your foot, that there's no wiggle room. My feet haven't changed in years, but if I lace my Trues too tight, I can still get cramping. 

If you want energy transfer, stick with the Jetspeed FT2s and their one piece boot. I'm also assuming the stock Trues (on goalie monkey) are more forgiving with their room and thermoformability as well. 

I got cramping for over a year and a half with my current Bauer vapor x900  skates and I had them baked too

8 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

I got cramping for over a year and a half with my current Bauer vapor x900  skates and I had them baked too

So try CCM, or Bauer Supreme, etc...   Hell, I was going to try to convince you that it's a huge waste of resources to buy a custom skate when you're still growing but it's your/your parents money.  Spend it however you want.  But no, you will not get the maximum energy transfer if the product doesn't fit properly.  It'll still be great, but not as great as it could be. 

3 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

So try CCM, or Bauer Supreme, etc...   Hell, I was going to try to convince you that it's a huge waste of resources to buy a custom skate when you're still growing but it's your/your parents money.  Spend it however you want.  But no, you will not get the maximum energy transfer if the product doesn't fit properly.  It'll still be great, but not as great as it could be. 

Wel the thing is your right but I think my feet are at their final stages of growing. My shoes fit a tiny bit big on me and have stayed that same amount too big on me for months, same with my skates. The distance from my toes to end of my skate hasn’t changed like at all in a few months. I feel my feet are basically done growing. Ya I know they will grow a tiny bit more over time, that’s why I think the extra half size is good.  

6 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

Could be a plethora of things:

1) They're being laced too tight. When your foot expands as it starts to sweat, it's bunching up into the sides and causing cramps

2) The footbed isn't providing enough support
3) I always suggest people to bake skates twice. Once at the store and the second time as they start to settle and loosen up
4) Vapor fit isn't for your foot. 

11 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Could be a plethora of things:

1) They're being laced too tight. When your foot expands as it starts to sweat, it's bunching up into the sides and causing cramps

2) The footbed isn't providing enough support
3) I always suggest people to bake skates twice. Once at the store and the second time as they start to settle and loosen up
4) Vapor fit isn't for your foot. 

This!   Have your store work potential pain areas with a boot punch as well.  I've gotten a couple extra years out of my 1S's by getting them punched out.   Honestly I'd recommend that most younger goalies plow the $1000 that they'll blow on custom skates into either finding a good goalie coach or spending more time with the one they have.   Better technique will save more goals the top end gear.

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

This!   Have your store work potential pain areas with a boot punch as well.  I've gotten a couple extra years out of my 1S's by getting them punched out.   Honestly I'd recommend that most younger goalies plow the $1000 that they'll blow on custom skates into either finding a good goalie coach or spending more time with the one they have.   Better technique will save more goals the top end gear.

Amen

Archived