Paint Chip Repair

TheGoalNet

Those are beyond simple chips. Bloody hell! There is a product that melts paint into itself that the car crazy guys use called Langka. Those may be well beyond touch up. Those are huge chunks of paint!!!!

When I see stuff like that, it makes me shy far away from expensive paint jobs on helmets. 

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Those are beyond simple chips. Bloody hell! There is a product that melts paint into itself that the car crazy guys use called Langka. Those may be well beyond touch up. Those are huge chunks of paint!!!!

When I see stuff like that, it makes me shy far away from expensive paint jobs on helmets. 

This is matte white paint. It seems to chip more more frequently than other masks I have used. I think it's something to do with the paint itself or the finish used 

7 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I may switch my paint back to gloss, then!

Matte clear coat shouldn't chip more frequently than gloss clear coat. I've done both and haven't had any complaints. I remember I painted a grey Ducati ST2 motorcycle with flat clear and it stood up well for years. Flat clear is the exact same as glossy clear, except that an additive is added to the mix. It actually sprays shiny and then flattens out as it dries. The biggest downside is that you can't sand and polish dirt, blemishes, and imperfections out of it. It's just as strong as gloss clear though.

2 hours ago, parebele said:

Matte clear coat shouldn't chip more frequently than gloss clear coat. I've done both and haven't had any complaints. I remember I painted a grey Ducati ST2 motorcycle with flat clear and it stood up well for years. Flat clear is the exact same as glossy clear, except that an additive is added to the mix. It actually sprays shiny and then flattens out as it dries. The biggest downside is that you can't sand and polish dirt, blemishes, and imperfections out of it. It's just as strong as gloss clear though.

You make me miss my old Monster AND my 900 SS! My Monster had matte paint...

I did get some vinyl wrap material printed and it is glossy. I normally go for nothing ostentatious (as in matte white Flexseal) and let all of the warts and puckmarks show; it's my own form of organic artwork. Yes- I put Cheevers-style stitches on my helmets after I get hit in the head (which is QUITE often!). The Happy Bunny and Union Jack vinyl reserved for my Protechsport is QUITE the departure for me, even if it is vinyl.

On 7/5/2017 at 10:34 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone or @BMFSdesigns have any good tips for repairing some paint chips at home?

Those are some pretty nasty chips down to the gelcoat. Looks like it hasn't gotten too deep though that they can't be fixed but it's probably best to have them fixed professional by a painter/mask refurbished. If it was a NME 8 id say take a crack at it, but the Pro CCM bucket deserves the proper fix. 

20 minutes ago, BMFSdesigns said:

Those are some pretty nasty chips down to the gelcoat. Looks like it hasn't gotten too deep though that they can't be fixed but it's probably best to have them fixed professional by a painter/mask refurbished. If it was a NME 8 id say take a crack at it, but the Pro CCM bucket deserves the proper fix. 

A company has offered to send a helmet wrap for review purposes. Any thoughts on something to fill in the chips with so that the surface is smooth for application purposes? After I am done with the wrap, I can get the whole shell redone properly... or maybe even painted :chug:

I typically use a Bondo Glaze/Spot Puddy on smaller damage. It hardens really well and allows you to sand it smooth. I usually only use it on small damaged spots as the bigger the repair when you clear it the chance it can lift on you. But in this case, you are just wrapping the mask so it may do the trick. Check in with the guy doing the wrap and see what he recommends as I'm sure he deals with it all the time.

1 hour ago, BMFSdesigns said:

I typically use a Bondo Glaze/Spot Puddy on smaller damage. It hardens really well and allows you to sand it smooth. I usually only use it on small damaged spots as the bigger the repair when you clear it the chance it can lift on you. But in this case, you are just wrapping the mask so it may do the trick. Check in with the guy doing the wrap and see what he recommends as I'm sure he deals with it all the time.

Good stuff, thanks 

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2017 at 10:12 AM, BMFSdesigns said:

HEY! What's wrong with the NME8? ;) Your #1 customer wears those, so they must be good!

Archived