Any goalies playing after hip replacement or resurfacing?

One of the forwards on our team tried the BHR (Birmingham Hip Resurfacing) as well. Same result, didn't provide any relief. Anecdotally, it seems to be a hit or miss procedure. Either works good, or not at all, no "felt 50% better" or anything like that.

His doctor said the same as well, that yes try this and if it doesn't work, then you can go for a replacement. The cynic in me says this is  great way to get more money out of you or your health plan! But up in Canada with some of the healthcare backlogs, I'd say he was trying to do the right thing as putting you through twice needlessly would just add to the backlog.

It was killing me not to play hockey or ski, and so was an easy choice to go for the the replacement.

Consult with the hip surgeon tomorrow afternoon.  I guess I'm nervous about it, probably because I'm afraid he'll recommend surgery.

On one hand, I don't really feel like I need surgery to do most things I want to do, but I am worried I'm doing more damage by not having arthroscopic procedures done on both hips now, potentially increasing the chances I need a full replacement at a younger age.  My last game was in May of last year and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a mental struggle even more than a year on from that to leave the game behind.

• Like 1

I'm kind of surprised, the surgeon didn't rush to convince me I need surgery.  

Essentially he asked "How much are your hips keeping you from doing what you want to do?"  He did also mention that I have the start of arthritis blooming in my left hip, but that it isn't that bad yet.  If it were to get markedly worse, there's a chance I wouldn't be a candidate for arthroscopy any longer.  The cam deformity is going to accelerate that wear, so in that sense it's likely that having surgery would slow or stop any progression of arthritis.  

When I think about it that way I start to lean toward wanting to move forward, especially since recovery isn't going to get any easier as I get older.  🍿, I guess.