Any goalies playing after hip replacement or resurfacing?

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I am 57 years old and just got both hip replaced 2 days ago at the same time using the anterior procedure. Discharged the next day and now at home looking for advice on return to play.

Like a number of people here, I have been playing goal forever since I was about 7 years old. I played on multiple teams at the same time, played senior here in Saskatchewan, organized and played summer hockey for years, and run our men's team in the winter. I have also been chairman of the SaskTel provincial hockey tournament multiple times (the major telco here in Sask).

In fact just before Covid and before my hips ground to a halt, I won the 37th Annual SaskTel Provincial Hockey Tournament, And I am one of only 3 remaining players that played in the original event (which we won). So like all of you, I consider myself to be a high performance athlete!! 😀

Anyway, I am interested in some of the timelines people had for return to play. Can some people share what timelines they experienced for various stages in their rehab.

Month x - Walker

Month x - Crutches

Month x - Cane

Month x - Bicycling or similar

Month x - Just skating

Month x - Pads on doing some drops, etc

Month x - Part games

Month x - Full play

Or any other stage you think should be included in here.

There does not appear to be much advice out there for return to play in high impact sports, which I think men's beer league is not that high impact, but the doctor's do classify it as such.

Anyway, any information would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Mark.

IMG_0285_edited-2.jpg

IMG_2879.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had a hip replacement in 2007 and a full knee in 2019. I don't recall my progressive steps from the hip rehab. The walker was gone after a few days. It was winter and I was cautioned that a slip and fall could be nasty so I was extra careful not to test the new hip immediately. I was in physiotherapy 3 mornings a week for about 6 weeks, loads of stretching, stationary bike and lift leg weights. My operation was the old style, cut through the muscles from the side.

We had access to a therapeutic swimming pool at the local hospital, one where you walk onto the platform, hang onto the rail and the floor descends into a 5' deep pool. For both my hip and knee rehabs I made extensive use of this apparatus. The water provides some resistance to your exercise movements yet the buoyancy cushions the full weight of your body whilst you move about..

I had a follow up appointment with my surgeon the summer after my hip replacement. He asked me to perform a couple of movements, no problem. I was 57, healthy and pain free. He told me to enjoy my hockey season but stop if it hurts.

Now the knee .................... a whole different kettle of fish.

All the best in your rehab.

Steve

Edited by Wonder35

Would love to hear from anyone who's gone the arthroscopic route, especially among the under 40 crowd.  Did you seek out a national expert like Dr. Philippon at the Steadman Clinic or Dr. Bryan Kelly at the NY Hospital for Special Surgery (who did Thatcher Demoko's hips), or go with someone local?  One or both hips?  How long were you laid up and what was the rehab and recovery like?

Thanks Steve.

From your post, you imply that you had knee replacement. I am also interested in your knee story.

I tore my left MCL about 30 years ago, tore my left meniscus and ACL and had half the meniscus removed (inside) about 25 years ago, and then had the ACL repaired about 23 years ago (using the middle of the kneecap patellar tendon). All my knee repairs have held up. I have used a generation 2 knee braces for about 28 years and would recommend it to anyone worried about their knees.

But. Yeah eventually I am going to need knee replacement on both sides. Any info on this also appreciated.

Did I mention I am an avid skier as well. Once or twice to the mountains every year for about 12 years with family and friends. Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Sun Peaks, Vail, Beaver Creek, Squaw Valley (or whatever name now), Whistler/Blackcomb… Can’t figure out why my hips and knees are wearing out…!?!🤔

Anyone else with some rehab timeframes for hip replacement? Or knee stories too.

Mark

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the encouragement guys!  After 53+ years (5,000+ Sessions) between the pipes on original joints, I’ll be getting a left total hip replacement in two weeks.  Last game was about 6 weeks ago and I just missed our big annual senior tournament and I am going crazy not playing!  You give me encouragement that with enough work I’ll be back in 6-8 months!  I turn 66 in September and would like to make it to 70+.

Steve T

• Like 1

Had both hips replaced Feb 11. Got the call Monday to come in Friday. Short notice but had new orthopedic surgeon in town and when he gets a slot, then I go!

Anterior approach. If you have any choice go for the anterior (front).

https://www.pbs.org/video/latest-procedure-latest-procedure-anterior-total-hip-replacement-surgery/

Awesome video above explains how and why better.

Woke up from surgery with ZERO pain. Nurses kept saying hit the button stay ahead of the pain. I said I have NO PAIN. After a couple of years of constant pain was wonderful.

Was standing by bed that night. Walking with walker next day, had me do some physio test and show if I can get in/out of bed and up/down stairs, and then they kicked me out!

Used walker for a week, then crutches for 2 inside then cane for 4 more. I used the crutches outside for 4 weeks as they said they wanted to slow me down, and with all the snow and ice, slipping and falling would be the worst thing I could do to impact my recovery.

(Bonus sidebar , my dad was a goalie too, and his "claim to fame" was he was backup goalie to Glenn Hall back in Humboldt, SK, when he was a teenager. Dad went on to be a politician and bureaucrat, while Glen went on to something bigger in the hockey world. Something called the NHL. Not sure if you have heard of it... 🙂)

Have been doing physio and my daily exercises since. I run our summer hockey group (my son is playing goal for me, 3rd generation goalie) and so I have been out skating for 10 minutes or so before each weekly summer game. Hopefully putting on pads soon and doing some drops. Not trying to rush things as don't want to screw things up.

As you do exercises, if there is one thing that I think is really good it is using sliders. I found some on sale before surgery for $10 (I think they were $40 regular) in a clearance bin and thought maybe they might be handy. Then the physiotherapist wanted to add this. This is what I found. 

Slidez | agility-sports (agilitysportstt.com)

Ridiculous that they say $250 online. Look around and you can find MUCH cheaper.

When you slide on a carpet it is the closest to actual front, side and 45 degree skating push. And you can really get into it and push hard without being on ice. Best simulation to skating I have found off ice.

Anyway, hope to get back between the pipe this upcoming season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BiffBadass said:

Had both hips replaced Feb 11. Got the call Monday to come in Friday. Short notice but had new orthopedic surgeon in town and when he gets a slot, then I go!

Anterior approach. If you have any choice go for the anterior (front).

https://www.pbs.org/video/latest-procedure-latest-procedure-anterior-total-hip-replacement-surgery/

Awesome video above explains how and why better.

Woke up from surgery with ZERO pain. Nurses kept saying hit the button stay ahead of the pain. I said I have NO PAIN. After a couple of years of constant pain was wonderful.

Was standing by bed that night. Walking with walker next day, had me do some physio test and show if I can get in/out of bed and up/down stairs, and then they kicked me out!

Used walker for a week, then crutches for 2 inside then cane for 4 more. I used the crutches outside for 4 weeks as they said they wanted to slow me down, and with all the snow and ice, slipping and falling would be the worst thing I could do to impact my recovery.

(Bonus sidebar , my dad was a goalie too, and his "claim to fame" was he was backup goalie to Glenn Hall back in Humboldt, SK, when he was a teenager. Dad went on to be a politician and bureaucrat, while Glen went on to something bigger in the hockey world. Something called the NHL. Not sure if you have heard of it... 🙂)

Have been doing physio and my daily exercises since. I run our summer hockey group (my son is playing goal for me, 3rd generation goalie) and so I have been out skating for 10 minutes or so before each weekly summer game. Hopefully putting on pads soon and doing some drops. Not trying to rush things as don't want to screw things up.

As you do exercises, if there is one thing that I think is really good it is using sliders. I found some on sale before surgery for $10 (I think they were $40 regular) in a clearance bin and thought maybe they might be handy. Then the physiotherapist wanted to add this. This is what I found. 

Slidez | agility-sports (agilitysportstt.com)

Ridiculous that they say $250 online. Look around and you can find MUCH cheaper.

When you slide on a carpet it is the closest to actual front, side and 45 degree skating push. And you can really get into it and push hard without being on ice. Best simulation to skating I have found off ice.

Anyway, hope to get back between the pipe this upcoming season.

Looks like I should have googled further. Much cheaper to be found...

SKLZ Slidez-Functional Core Stability Discs, Exercise & Fitness - Amazon Canada

Awesome. I post about those SKLZ Slidez and the ad for the website is now suddenly SKLZ equipment....! Its like they read our posts or something!

Bully Taunt GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

• 1 month later...

So, thought I would give an update on my return to play.

As described earlier, I had NO PAIN right from the moment I woke up. Been going hard at it with daily exercises and visits to physio. I mentioned the sliders earlier and still feel they are awesome. Another item you should get for rehab is a good set of ankle weights (both legs to make easier doing exercises and not have to stop and change), as they are very useful for many exercises.

Surgery on Feb 11.

• Used walker for a week
  • Crutches for 2 weeks inside
    • Used crutches outside as snow was late this year and they wanted to slow me down and not slip and fall which would be the worst thing I could do
  • Cane for 4 weeks 

Returned to work half days in 1 month for 2 weeks

Returned to work full day in 6 weeks

Began bicycling as soon as the snow was gone

Exercises daily throughout

Doctor said the thing they look for each time you come in is the distance between some landmarks on your bones and the implants so see if they have moved. Said revision surgery if you screw things up can be tough and problematic.

Got permission from doctor and mid-June (4 months) started skating around during summer hockey warmups. Just to get some skating muscles back in shape.

• Bought some cooperall style regular hockey player pants to wear on ice, with some thin padded ref underwear
  • Again, falling is worst thing you could do
  • If I wore goalie pants they are big and flop around and may not be in position
  • Cooperall style pants hug your torso and legs so will be guaranteed

Late July (5 months from surgery) put on pads and start doing some drops and stretches on ice. Hip felt good, but butterfly felt a bit tight for some muscles as you really cannot replace up and down on the ice with a dry land option.

Last couple of weeks (6 months from surgery). Played a 3-4 x 5 minute shifts in weekly summer hockey (had 3 goalies there). I don't want to be out there tired and make some move that causes grief, so play some short shifts and get some muscle memory back and take some real shots. Also begged my way on for free at the end of the night a few days and had a couple of buds come out and take some shots on me. Also did a lot of laps with the gear on.

Summer hockey ends the end of Sep and Winter hockey starts in Oct. Not sure if I will be ready for full games right away in Oct, and I don't want to be an super-hero and go full time too soon and screw things up. But every day on the ice feels better and better.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, almost forgot my return to play song. Sung to the tune of AC/DC Back in Black..

Back in net

Hit the deck

Been too long

Glad I'm so fit

Cut hips

By the best

Had no pain

Yes, I've been fixed

I'm working my way

Back to full game play

Never going to stop

Gonna play till I'm dead

Got nine lives

Cat eye (goalie mask cage)

Stopping everyone like it's second nature

'Cause I'm back

Yes, I'm back

Well, I'm back

Yes, I'm back....

• Like 2

@BiffBadass So cool to see you back out on the ice, that's fantastic!

My inability to play because of my hips has me feeling like I've lost a limb or something.  And yet, I'm not having resurfacing surgery because I have no restrictions doing anything else that I want to do.  It's only playing goal that causes any pain. I think it's time to just bit the bullet and go pick up some forward gear.

• Sad 2

Our 8 month season commences in 2 weeks. My near 4 year old knee replacement, 15 year old hip replacement and 20 year old shoulder reconstruction are still holding together - loads of biking, routine aquafit classes, daily yoga, Tylenol Arthritic, binder twine, and a bundle of stupidity from this seasoned goalie born in 1949.  Game on ........

All the best to you, Biff in Regina, from Steve in Kelowna.👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had both mine done when I was in my 50's, still playing today at 70 with zero pain or problems.

I do recommend having the Anterior Approach Surgery rather than the old school from the back. With the anterior, no muscles are cut- device is implanted from the front of the hip by just prying the muscles apart, NO CUTTING. Recovery is MUCH faster and less painful.  

Good luck!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gump said:

Could I ask the guys that had the hip replacements how long was it before you could start playing again?

I’m having my hip replacement at the end of November

thanks 

I had my left hip replaced on Oct. 29/2007, age 58. Returned to hockey in September 2008. Gump, keep in mind that my surgery utilized an older procedure. All the best to you in November.

Steve

I had the anterior approach.

I run our summer hockey league, so I have some pull in how we do things.

My surgery was Feb 11. As described earlier started doing drops in July, and was the 3rd goalie in August - September for our weekly summer game. Did some 5-10 minute shifts in net so I was not playing tired. By the 4th week felt good, but played like crap.

But this last Monday Sep 26, I played the full game. Lots of shots. Played awesome. Felt good. Won the game..! So that is almost exactly seven and a half months back to full game play.

Winter hockey starts Sunday, I will be back at it full time.

But keep in mind what an incredible athlete I am. Just ask me! 😀 You don't get this incredible by just working out. A lot of beer and rum is involved. I would recommend:

Appleton Estate 15 Year Old (Minimum Age) Rum « The Rum Howler Blog

Welcome to Original 16 Beer | The Premium Prairie Beer

• Like 1

Thanks for the timeline info

I’m just a 60+ year old goalie trying to keep it going as long as I can

Happy to hear from brother goalies that have had hip surgery and continued to play 

I was worried that it wouldn’t be possible - which would have killed me 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 12:20 PM, CamWardFan said:

Had both mine done when I was in my 50's, still playing today at 70 with zero pain or problems.

I do recommend having the Anterior Approach Surgery rather than the old school from the back. With the anterior, no muscles are cut- device is implanted from the front of the hip by just prying the muscles apart, NO CUTTING. Recovery is MUCH faster and less painful.  

Good luck!!!

is this considered Anterior ? This is what my Doc is reccomending