Any goalies playing after hip replacement or resurfacing?

Any goalies out there playing after hip replacement or hip resurfacing?  After over 1500 games, practices and 6 years of football, Father Time is knocking at the door.  Been playing on borrowed time for a while and I can see the hot lights of the surgical amphitheater in the distance.  Hoping I don't have to hang'em up just yet.

FIFTY-SIX (age 55)

I had total hip replacement in October 2007, age 58.  I thought that I was done playing goal but thanks to an understanding physiotherapist and surgeon I got the OK to get back between the pipes the following September.  His words to me were "Stop if it hurts'".  It didn't and I played nearly a thousand games up until the time I needed knee replacement surgery in January 2018.

Following 19 months of physio, aquafit and yoga, plus dropping 20 pounds, I start playing again next week but it won't be as a full-time goalie.  I am starting off as a spare, probably getting into a handful of games per month, until I see if I'm damaging my body and/or playing shitty.  An agonizing reappraisal of my 'tending career will come at that time.

All the best to you FIFTY-SIX.

Edited by Wonder35
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gregory Lee said:

Hi Fifty'. I'm 59 and am playing 2 to 3 times a week and my right hip joint was replaced about 3 years ago. It has been great! My problem is weakness in that leg as I limped on it for a year before getting the surgery done. Good luck! Cheers Leebo

@Gregory Lee Thanks for the encouragement and very glad to hear you're still going strong.  Were you playing while limping over that last year?

@FIFTY-SIX While I'm younger than you at 40... my hips have seen significantly more wear than my age would suggest. No replacement or resurfacing for me yet... but i did have FAI done for combined impingement... and while in there he pretty much removed whatever cartilage/labrum that was torn up and flapping around in there due to fragments of bone spurs that were grinding away inside there whenever I moved. Post surgery he said the cartilage/labrum wear was worse than he had anticipated and that I was about 6 months of continued wear away from replacement. So good thing I had it done when I did... but replacement for both hips is a matter of time. That said, I was back on the ice 6 months after surgery.

Fast forward to today (~15 months after surgery) and it's still in progress... still get the rusty door grinding feeling... and like @Gregory Lee mentioned I am really having to work hard to get muscles which had been compensated for to fire properly and strengthen them. Its a constant battle between getting stronger... and getting a broader range of motion back. The surgery gave me an excuse to get back in the gym and focus on core/mobility which while helping my play on the ice... is really just better for everyday life. At the end of the day I really did it because my kids are still really young and I wanted to be able to actually play with them. If I had to give up hockey so be it... luckily the latter hasn't happened yet... and I'm hoping I can have the same results as @Wonder35 shared.  

Good luck with whatever path you end up going down... keep us posted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You fellas are genuinely tough dudes. I thought I was pretty resilient with a knee and two shoulders but if either of my hips fade, I'm done forever.  Persevering through a hip which is so integral to the job, not to mention like @BadAngle41 says, every day life,  is awesome. Hats off,  gentlemen, and best regards

• Like 1

Getting referred to an orthopedic surgeon because my hips have way more arthritis in them than they should for someone at age 31, so we'll see where this goes.  Haven't played since March and after reading this thread, I'll be pretty on-board if they want to scoop them out and replace them

8 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don't like this thread. 

Sorry @SaveByRichter35.  Didn't intend to distress you.  It's not inevitable for all of us.  I have FAI which predisposes to early osteoarthritis/degenerative hip disease and, as I mentioned, I have a lot of mileage/impact on these hips (...and, still, my knees are fine).  Furthermore, I can remember having hip pain as early as high school (1978-82).  Hopefully, you will not suffer my/our fate.  But, the science/technology is improving yearly.  One of my best friends (a defenseman, which I think we can all agree is a different animal) is also back playing after total hip replacement.  Enjoy, compete, have fun, God speed, don't worry.  Yours in the bond.  56

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Getting referred to an orthopedic surgeon because my hips have way more arthritis in them than they should for someone at age 31, so we'll see where this goes.  Haven't played since March and after reading this thread, I'll be pretty on-board if they want to scoop them out and replace them

Good luck.  56

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2019 at 8:33 PM, FIFTY-SIX said:

Sorry @SaveByRichter35.  Didn't intend to distress you.  It's not inevitable for all of us.  I have FAI which predisposes to early osteoarthritis/degenerative hip disease and, as I mentioned, I have a lot of mileage/impact on these hips (...and, still, my knees are fine).  Furthermore, I can remember having hip pain as early as high school (1978-82).  Hopefully, you will not suffer my/our fate.  But, the science/technology is improving yearly.  One of my best friends (a defenseman, which I think we can all agree is a different animal) is also back playing after total hip replacement.  Enjoy, compete, have fun, God speed, don't worry.  Yours in the bond.  56

No I know you didn't.  It just sucks that this stuff happens at all.  I turned 36 in August and I have definitely noticed over the past several months that my body has more aches and pains than I've ever had before.  Not saying this is going to be in my future as well but it sucks that its anyone's future, or present.  

• 1 month later...

Been out of the loop around here, but back playing 3x per week after having both hips replaced. Had the right hip replaced in October 2018 and the left one done January 2019. Started skating (ten minutes) around St Patrick's Day and playing half a pickup around the beginning of June. Played seven times in the last two weeks (just got back from the rink), and I feel the best I have in five years. I turned 57 in June

Find an ortho you trust, and find a surgeon you trust more. I got a lot of runaround from my original ortho, who didn't do anything beyond telling me to "take an extra aleve" - I eventually convinced his PA to at least give me a cortisone shot, which worked for about three weeks. A month later, I went to a different ortho who put the X-rays up on the screen and said "I can't help you, I don't do replacements" . I don't know if the prior guy could have done more, but it was a waste of two years

That said, surgery was the best thing I could have done. It's awesome to just be regular sore after playing instead of being in excruciating pain and unable to walk upright for a day after skating.

You can (and will) come back from this

• Like 1

Not experienced with this, but had my very own unique experience (entire colon removal) and I do think what I will say DOES apply in this situation: make your expectations known to your surgeon and make it known you are willing to do the extra work it will entail to play hockey again. Knowing your post surgical goals changes your course of treatment and the plan and goals of recovery and recuperation. If you don’t make this known, your care team will not tailor this desire to all that you’re working with. Had I not told my surgeons and others my goals, I feel my course of treatment would have been different. As crazy as it sounds, people I have known who have gone through joint replacement surgeries did not say they wanted to resume their athletic hobbies and had a tougher road as that was not kept in mind. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi goalers:  Hope everybody is staying safe.  Bumping this topic.  I had right total hip arthroplasty, anterior approach, on March 5, 2020 (just under the COVID-19 wire).  Surgery went great.  Feels fantastic.  Unfortunately, my plan to hit the gym hard postoperatively was derailed by the pandemic (apologies, 1st world problems, I know).  I'm hoping to skate 6 months postop, pandemic permitting.  I appreciate everyone's input last autumn.  Any updates or guidance are always appreciated.  @Gregory Lee @Wonder35 @bc30

• Like 2

Fifty Six, your healing has begun.  I played in 24 games this past winter.  I maintain that daily yoga and 3 times a week aqua fit class allowed me to play relatively pain free, still have osteoarthritis in my joints but the knee and hip are good.  With most exercise facilities closed I tuned up my bicycle, pedalling my butt all over town.

Our team is presenting a plan to the local Rec Dept with the hope we can resume playing come September.  I will be ready.

All the best in your rehab.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Telfo said:

I was told the other day that I need both hips shaved down due to bone spurs/extra bone growth causing FAI.  I’m 35 and this thread is terrifying me 

Can’t give any insight but at 34 my thoughts are with ya buddy. Hope you have success. 

• Thanks 1

My hips have been sore and seemingly less flexible recently. I’ve played ice hockey goalie twice this week and floor hockey goalie once this week. I’ve played floor hockey as an out-player twice in the weeks before that. I also play soccer and two weeks ago I played both field and goalkeeper. Hopefully my hips will improve with regular play and this is just achy ness that isn’t associated with anything more serious. I have been doing a lot of yoga recently, too. 

8 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

37 in a few weeks, good luck @Telfo

Just played last night for the first time in over 4 months. Turned 37 in June.  I supposed children could be reading so I'll just say gosh gee golly are my hips and knees screaming today.  And the left knee feels like I drove it into the ice extra sore, but I don't recall coming off the landing ever.  Moving is rough today.  Played most of the hour "drill" on my knees zipping around because constant up and down was a nope after about 10 minutes. 

On 7/11/2020 at 2:51 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

My hips have been sore and seemingly less flexible recently. I’ve played ice hockey goalie twice this week and floor hockey goalie once this week. I’ve played floor hockey as an out-player twice in the weeks before that. I also play soccer and two weeks ago I played both field and goalkeeper. Hopefully my hips will improve with regular play and this is just achy ness that isn’t associated with anything more serious. I have been doing a lot of yoga recently, too. 

On 7/11/2020 at 6:13 PM, dreadlocked1 said:

Just played last night for the first time in over 4 months. Turned 37 in June.  I supposed children could be reading so I'll just say gosh gee golly are my hips and knees screaming today.  And the left knee feels like I drove it into the ice extra sore, but I don't recall coming off the landing ever.  Moving is rough today.  Played most of the hour "drill" on my knees zipping around because constant up and down was a nope after about 10 minutes. 

I haven't played since December.  Ever since some time in either April or May, I don't quite recall when, my right knee has been bothering me.  Its the same knee I injured a few years ago, slight meniscus tear.  I know I didn't do anything to tweak it recently.  At least, I don't recall a moment where I was like "oww that hurt."  It was just kind of sudden where bending down at the knees and coming back up again hurts.  I am assuming its from lack of my once/twice a week stretching that I would do before games as well as the lack of playing to keep me limber.  I need to do better for myself and start stretching every night to get myself back into the swing of things.

Aint no expert here but I have been told we have to train like were martial artists. Lots of stretching, lots of core work. Lots of dedicated movement training. When I get there, I will let you know how its working out.

to you all who are going through your stuff- do what the doc says and if it hurts, stop.