Got my VH skates!!!

bunnyman666

It took three weeks to get them. I had asked for a special mod- a provision like the Mako skates have where I could screw in a tendon guard, pop in player steel, and play forward if I wanted to; no dice on that mod! They did not even tell me no. Shame, too; as the holder is the same; the player blade and goaler blade fit the same holder.

I do have one reservation- the holder does NOT have the runner size on it. This is bad. BAD BAD BAD!!!! 

Why is it bad? You need to replace your steel, how do you know what size you need?!?

With all of those things- I am a fan of the holders and runners. The manufacturing side of me loves the simplicity of one holder doing double duty. 

Customer service was meh. But they stayed on time. Workmanship is pretty good. 

Pix to come.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird heat moulding- first of all, the tongue is velcro'd in. That is WEIRD. I have never had boots easily conform in such a small amount of time. My heels feel locked! I am going to go sockless for the first time ever!

My first question is how to sharpen this blade... It is 3mm wide...

Here are a few pix showing some differences between what I was using and the VH skate. I am going to say that the cowling makes the Vaughn Skate seem even lower than it is. Of course with the standard Vaughn blade (non Step Steel, the Vaughn are quite low. I needed a Step Extreme to get tall enough for my butterfly. I will show comparison pix of my Reebok cowling skates compared to the VH.

I am not going to lie- I wish the VH Step steel was taller only from a blade lasting longer standpoint.  

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

On 2/14/2017 at 6:39 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Here are a few pix showing some differences between what I was using and the VH skate. I am going to say that the cowling makes the Vaughn Skate seem even lower than it is. Of course with the standard Vaughn blade (non Step Steel, the Vaughn are quite low. I needed a Step Extreme to get tall enough for my butterfly. I will show comparison pix of my Reebok cowling skates compared to the VH.

I am not going to lie- I wish the VH Step steel was taller only from a blade lasting longer standpoint.  

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

Bunnyman keep us updated!

From your last picture above the VH looks a lot taller vs you GX with extreme blades will be interesting to see how you like them? Correct me if I'm wrong but we have not had too many people comment on their 2 piece skate, I think your the second one to get a set after Price ( Lol ) .

Enjoy!

18 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Bunnyman keep us updated!

From your last picture above the VH looks a lot taller vs you GX with extreme blades will be interesting to see how you like them? Correct me if I'm wrong but we have not had too many people comment on their 2 piece skate, I think your the second one to get a set after Price ( Lol ) .

Enjoy!

We will see!

I am not going ditch the Vaughn cowlings yet. I am more into the boot than the cowling-free thing!

I will keep you in the loop.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

How is the weight on them? Heard VH is heavy 

These feel light, but I could see the one piece being HEAVY! Composite does well for many things, but can actually be heavy when becoming something like a holder. Strange, but true! Add to that being several pieces becoming one piece and that adds to the weight.

4 hours ago, Big2 said:

Bunnyman 

1) sorry to hear about how complicated sharpening the Step blade for the 2 piece set is going to be

2) Price is back on the 2 piece VH skate but this time with a Bauer Vertexx blade holder

I may switch eventually. I don't like how there isn't a size embossed onto the skate. Maybe the runner has a size on it. I know that sounds silly, but from a finding parts persepective, it could prove to be a nightmare!

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

At least they were smart enough to place their bolt on the back of the skate.  That is my biggest pet peeve about the Vertex cowling.

It has it's own tool for runner replacement.  Yes- the Vertexx cowling is a pain, particularly with that bolt in the front.

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I may switch eventually. I don't like how there isn't a size embossed onto the skate. Maybe the runner has a size on it. I know that sounds silly, but from a finding parts persepective, it could prove to be a nightmare!

Bunnyman if you go onto the Step web site you will realize that there blades are identified by length.

Send an email to VH to get that information also you will be paying a premium for their blades they are reduced in thickness to fit the holder which is for player skates at 3mm if I am not mistaken? Please confirm this??

2 hours ago, Big2 said:

Bunnyman if you go onto the Step web site you will realize that there blades are identified by length.

Send an email to VH to get that information also you will be paying a premium for their blades they are reduced in thickness to fit the holder which is for player skates at 3mm if I am not mistaken? Please confirm this??

What I meant was the size of the holder and runner. On a player skate I use a 272mm runner; on a goal skate, it ranges from 328-348mm depending on cowling design. Just no size on the holder is what I'm saying.

As an FYI- Step (from my understanding; could be wrong) selling goalie steel for other player holders, at least from what Antoine was saying. Ask for the "fat" blade. Again- I may have misunderstood him.

Archived