Imperative 2019-2020 Season

Imperative

Home opener for the Vikings. We started real fast jumping out to a very early 7-0 lead and then we just sat back and let them kind of come at us. I played ok, first goal I bit way too hard on the first move and got walked, 2nd and 3rd were soft, 4th you can see it but it went off my d mans stick and over me. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to mention first time using a Sherwood BPM 120 stick, I picked it up on sale at pro hockey life for $100. A composite is a very different feel compared to my other sticks. It is much more lively and I had trouble reigning in rebounds but I do like the lightness. I also was listening to A Fran who trains 10 or so NHL goalies on the ingoal mag podcast saying how his goalies leave the top eyelet on their skates open to have a better mobility so I tried it in this game for the first time. I kind of like the feel but it will take a few more skates to get real comfortable with it. 

46 minutes ago, Imperative said:

I forgot to mention first time using a Sherwood BPM 120 stick, I picked it up on sale at pro hockey life for $100. A composite is a very different feel compared to my other sticks. It is much more lively and I had trouble reigning in rebounds but I do like the lightness. I also was listening to A Fran who trains 10 or so NHL goalies on the ingoal mag podcast saying how his goalies leave the top eyelet on their skates open to have a better mobility so I tried it in this game for the first time. I kind of like the feel but it will take a few more skates to get real comfortable with it. 

It's amazing how little adjustments seem to make a difference.  When I got my X900's I went to the Scrivens method (I don't the the first or last eyelet) for my skates... Helps with overall tightness and keeping my heel locked in:

image.png.ac8a329618a353250c4d70c3368103cc.png

On October 14, 2019 at 1:14 PM, cwarnar said:

It's amazing how little adjustments seem to make a difference.  When I got my X900's I went to the Scrivens method (I don't the the first or last eyelet) for my skates... Helps with overall tightness and keeping my heel locked in:

image.png.ac8a329618a353250c4d70c3368103cc.png

yeah it does make a difference i felt like better ankle mobility leaving the top eyelet out. I have never tried The Scrivens method for the skates. 

50 minutes ago, Imperative said:

yeah it does make a difference i felt like better ankle mobility leaving the top eyelet out. I have never tried The Scrivens method for the skates. 

I just got my first 'modern' skate a few weeks ago (True 2 Piece) and have found leaving the top eyelet out makes a big difference in my ankle mobility. I can't fully get into my comfortable ready stance with all the eyelets laced up, as I find it's way too restrictive. 

Before these skates I laced every eyelet and also tied them super tight, which was fine since the skates were super soft and bendy at the ankle. The True's, not so much haha. Getting used to new, stiff skates has forced me to change how I lace & tie my skates up. It's been for the better so far as I feel more comfortable after every skate with them.

3 hours ago, creasecollector said:

I just got my first 'modern' skate a few weeks ago (True 2 Piece) and have found leaving the top eyelet out makes a big difference in my ankle mobility. I can't fully get into my comfortable ready stance with all the eyelets laced up, as I find it's way too restrictive. 

Before these skates I laced every eyelet and also tied them super tight, which was fine since the skates were super soft and bendy at the ankle. The True's, not so much haha. Getting used to new, stiff skates has forced me to change how I lace & tie my skates up. It's been for the better so far as I feel more comfortable after every skate with them.

On my trues it took a few skates to figure out the tightness of the lacing. I used to lace them right to the top but I only went snug over top of my foot and went looser around my ankle. 

22 minutes ago, Imperative said:

On my trues it took a few skates to figure out the tightness of the lacing. I used to lace them right to the top but I only went snug over top of my foot and went looser around my ankle. 

Nice.

I’m only 5 skates into these skates, so I feel like I’m just scratching the surface on my pacing technique, but I found that I’m the opposite right now and I like to have them snug at the toe and the ankle, but just barely put any pressure around the top of my foot and it seems to work so far. Tight all the way from toe to ankle I found makes these rock hard True boots have too much pressure on my foot when I’m skating around in them. 

Its been an adjustment period for sure coming from 15 year old skates, but I’m liking them so far. 

He would start like 1’-2’ outside the top of the crease even when the puck was at the other end so I think he got lost on his positioning quite a bit. You are right he didn’t square up to the puck and it really cost him on the 3rd and 4th goals. 5,6,and 7 were all 2 on 1 tap ins so can’t blame him when his d always alllows that pass through. 

this was probably the worst start I have ever had to a game. 3 goals on 3 shots to start the game. Of course the battery died and I only got the first 5 minutes of the first half. I kind of settled in after the rough start, we were down 4-1 going into the 2nd half but ended up falling 6-4 

2 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Boy your team sucks in their own end. 

The Stingers are the best team we have played so far this season and we basically brought the “C” squad on the road to play them. After I gave up the 3 quick ones I was worried we were going to get buried but I was able to settle in and make some saves and we chipped away at their lead and made a game of it. That said we were very out of sorts in our own end all game. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Do you find recording these shinny skates is helpful? Usually shinny hockey is so offensive heavy that as a goalie you end up in losing situations. Sometimes bad habits develop. Of course, modern hockey even at the highest level is starting to resemble shinny hockey, so I don’t know. 

I don’t know if they are super helpful for me, a lot of the guys at shinny are also my Viking teammates and they like to see the footage especially of their goals. Shinny in general is a slower pace than my games, I try to not let bad habits creep in. I usually try to work on my holding my edges and being patient on my feet , I also tend to think way too much in a shinny with the book I have on most of the guys. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived