New pad suggestions

Hockey School Dropout

Well, Christmas is coming soon.  I'm looking at getting some new pads.  I currently have Bauer Supreme One80 pads in 32+1.  They've done me pretty well, but with no knee protection I bought some Passau knee pads a few years ago.  They have also been good but are starting to break down and after getting new skates (Bauer X2.7 I believe) I'm finding my current pads just don't "feel" right anymore.  I've tried a few different setups but none are really working for me.  SO......time to start looking for something else I think.  

I've scoured the local Play it Again sports stores.  Seen a few pads that interested me but they are so worn especially in the toe area.  Would probably cost a bunch to have them repaired, might be better to just get new.

I don't particularly care about brand.  For now, say for research purposes, off the shelf is good for now.  If I find something I like but don't love, maybe custom will be considered.  

I play a pretty hybrid style.  Sometimes I play stand up, sometimes butterfly.  My butterfly is pretty narrow so I need pads with a decent S curve.  I'd like some with minimal straps.  Gimme velcro!  I'd like something that will slide with ease (ie without using sno-seal, or sliding polish) and be consistent on any ice surface (rough, smooth, wet, snowy).  

I do have some videos in the video section so you can see how I play if that helps.  And of course, price will be a concern.  I'm not cool with spending $1500+ on pads I will use 1-2 times a week.  Definitely $1000 or less.

Thanks fellow tendies!

based off what youre looking for, the GT2 senior pads from Warrior would likely suit you best. Incredibly light, minimal strapping, while i cant confirm how they slide, ive heard they slide great. The inner edge on them is very firm and flat so it should be fine for sliding. Also comes with a pretty decent S curve, and can be worked in easily. I might be picking up a pair of Greiss' leg pads on sideline swap, if not I will be getting the GT2s. I checked out every pad at Pure Hockey (Ve8, SLR2, G4, GT2, eflex 4, premier 2,  2s,  2x, gnetik iv, optik) and gt2 were by far the most impressive line there in my opinion as far as how they felt when checking them out. best strapping on any pad ive seen, extremely light (its unbelievable) and felt very connected to the leg. theyre a steal at 800 USD. 

11 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

Well, Christmas is coming soon.  I'm looking at getting some new pads.  I currently have Bauer Supreme One80 pads in 32+1.  They've done me pretty well, but with no knee protection I bought some Passau knee pads a few years ago.  They have also been good but are starting to break down and after getting new skates (Bauer X2.7 I believe) I'm finding my current pads just don't "feel" right anymore.  I've tried a few different setups but none are really working for me.  SO......time to start looking for something else I think.  

I've scoured the local Play it Again sports stores.  Seen a few pads that interested me but they are so worn especially in the toe area.  Would probably cost a bunch to have them repaired, might be better to just get new.

I don't particularly care about brand.  For now, say for research purposes, off the shelf is good for now.  If I find something I like but don't love, maybe custom will be considered.  

I play a pretty hybrid style.  Sometimes I play stand up, sometimes butterfly.  My butterfly is pretty narrow so I need pads with a decent S curve.  I'd like some with minimal straps.  Gimme velcro!  I'd like something that will slide with ease (ie without using sno-seal, or sliding polish) and be consistent on any ice surface (rough, smooth, wet, snowy).  

I do have some videos in the video section so you can see how I play if that helps.  And of course, price will be a concern.  I'm not cool with spending $1500+ on pads I will use 1-2 times a week.  Definitely $1000 or less.

Thanks fellow tendies!

You could look for used pads like brians gnetik 4 pads. Perfect for hybrid style. If you want you can purchase a pair of optik pads once the optik 2 are released which will be very soon although they are stiff butterfly

21 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

Thanks fellow tendies!

I could be persuaded to sell my Pooper GP#2 mk 1 pads that started off life as Brian’s ZeroG pro pads. 32+1, white weave, table top boot with 1/4” riser (to help with noise), Pooper HTV’s, debadged Brian’s B-star logos. They are literally doing nothing and have many of the hallmarks you like in a pad. And I would sell them at a very nice price.  Some puck marks, but hardly worn out. I loved them until after my last surgery, in which I ended up liking my Pooper GP#2 mk 2 pads just a bit better. But the offer is up if interested... You can find pix on my Insta @dougsskatesharpening or I can DM you pix if interested. Just another option for you, not trying to thread hog. 

Except for one tiny detail- I am in the USA; you’re in Canada. The shipping would kill you. Sorry.

Archived