Help with Sizing

Peter36

I currently wear what bauer says is the equivalent of their old 31+1 pads. I'm looking into moving into 33+1.5 Vaughn pads. However, I heard that bauer pads tend to run smaller than other brands, up to an inch (can anyone confirm this?). I'm about 5'6" and I think getting 33" should give me enough growing room for next season, but I'm not sure. Could anyone help me out? I'm in a place where there aren't any stores or places to get sized.

It's not scientific but here is my recent experience.....

I currently wear Bauer 32+1.  I've had them for 7-8 years.  I'm looking for a change as my Passau knee pads are wearing out and I can get a used set of pads for the price of new knee pads, so the search begins.  I went to a local play it again sports and tried on some Reebok 33+1 pads and some CCM 32+1 pads.  The Reeboks were pretty much bang on in terms of the landing pad for the knees.  The thigh rise was higher than my Bauers though, but I had no issue in going down in butterfly in the store (with my pants and skates on too).  The CCMs felt like they were riding a little higher.  That may partially have been the thigh wrap interacting poorly with my pants.  But they didn't feel right.

So, I can't comment on Bauer vs Vaughn, but if the 31+1 are getting too small (I always size my kids' pads by where their knees land), then a 32-33 should be fine.  The extra thigh rise may interfere with your pants though.

IIRC, the Reeboks were 24K senior pads and P2s.  The CCMs were Eflex800 I think in 32".  I'm also 5'6"-5'5" with a size 7.5 skate.

I could really use help with this. Currently my ATK is a hair over 16", nearly 16.5. This falls into a 31" Vaughn according to the size chart I'm looking at. By the time I get these pads, it will be April. I'm  confused though, because it says a 31" Intermediate VE8 fits 16.5" to 17.25". It says the 32" Pro Carbon fits 16.5"-17". How is this possible, if it is bigger, why does it have the same measurements. I think 33" should give me enough growing room because it measures 17"-17.5". 

If I order 33" will they be too big to use when I get them? For reference I use pro laces and a bootstrap, which I feel make the pad sit lower.

I'm currently in a 31" Bauer, but there is no measurement for that on this chart.

https://www.goaliesplus.com/goalie-pad-sizing-guide/

Bauer has recently changed their sizing to small, medium, large and x-large.  Just like shirts.  However, I find that system stupid.  That's my opinion.  Others may find it simpler.

I don't know how fast you grow, if you are due for a growth spurt, etc.  Are there any goalies you know with 33" pads you could try on?  At least to get a feel for the sizing?

It's the same problem as with sticks, there is no standard system of measuring.  The ATK is the "best" available option.  However, it is ONLY a starting point/guideline.  The only true way to tell if a pad fits and is comfortable is to try them on.  You can order any size you wish, but if they don't fit or feel right, returning them could be a real pain in the butt.

I don't know your location, but check a local buy and sell site like kijiji or craigslist and find something similar to what you are looking for and try them on.  Heck, a gently used set could save you big $$$ over new too.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:29 AM, Peter36 said:

I could really use help with this. Currently my ATK is a hair over 16", nearly 16.5. This falls into a 31" Vaughn according to the size chart I'm looking at. By the time I get these pads, it will be April. I'm  confused though, because it says a 31" Intermediate VE8 fits 16.5" to 17.25". It says the 32" Pro Carbon fits 16.5"-17". How is this possible, if it is bigger, why does it have the same measurements. I think 33" should give me enough growing room because it measures 17"-17.5". 

If I order 33" will they be too big to use when I get them? For reference I use pro laces and a bootstrap, which I feel make the pad sit lower.

I'm currently in a 31" Bauer, but there is no measurement for that on this chart.

https://www.goaliesplus.com/goalie-pad-sizing-guide/

You can always measure four zones on the face of the pad to do a comparison across brands:

Toe binding to boot break
Boot break to bottom knee roll
Bottom knee roll to top knee roll
Top knee roll to top binding

13 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

You can always measure four zones on the face of the pad to do a comparison across brands:

Unfortunately they only carry Bauer in the store near me. 

Is their anyone on here with a similar height/ATK as me? What size pads do you wear?

49 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

Unfortunately they only carry Bauer in the store near me. 

Is their anyone on here with a similar height/ATK as me? What size pads do you wear?

I have your ATK, 16.5".  I demoed a medium 2X Pro Set and they fit well.  I'm now in 32+2 Optik 2 Max Core pads.  Before that, 33+1.5 GT Pros

2 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I have your ATK, 16.5".  I demoed a medium 2X Pro Set and they fit well.  I'm now in 32+2 Optik 2 Max Core pads.  Before that, 33+1.5 GT Pros

Which ones do you feel fit you the best? I wish brand sizing was consistent across the different brands, as those are listed as 3 different sizes.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:45 AM, Chenner29 said:

@Chenner29 dumb question, is this a good way to determine pad size as well? I have a custom set of EF3's and I can't seem to figure out what size they are.

8 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

@Chenner29 dumb question, is this a good way to determine pad size as well? I have a custom set of EF3's and I can't seem to figure out what size they are.

Not a dumb question at all.

Yes, it’s pretty much universal. You’ll have to compare shin size with off the shelf pads though, as you’ll only get an overall pad length (ie it’ll be hard to distinguish between a 32+3, 33+2 and a 34+1) 

IIRC, you’ll get 7.5” at the boot and 7” at the knee rolls. Everything else will be dependent on original pad specs. 

Archived