My "Professor Strap" Mod

Punisher Goalie

I have been a fan of the "Professor Strap" since I started playing in net earlier this year. The whole concept of loose toe ties, no bootstrap, and a snug strap below the knee simply works well for me. Really reliable leg rotation behind the pad while keeping it close and I never feel like I'm going to fall off the knee stack.

My first Professor Strap was a Monster K Strap, which is a great product (assuming it fits your pads) because it makes it so easy to add the strap, but I found the elastic had too much give and I also did not like how the attachment was Velcro which meant that I didn't get the exact same tightness every time.

I built my own strap out of 1" white nylon webbing. I went with 1" vs. the 2" used in the K strap because I wanted it to feel "locked in" above my calf and behind my knee instead of wrapping around my calf (if that makes any sense).

The placement of the bindings in the R/GT pads were such that the best option I could come up with to attach the strap was to use Slick Clips as you can see in the pictures. One really nice benefit of this is you can remove the strap but leave the Slick Clip in place to easily remove/replace. 

I used a buckle closure and tri-glide so that I could have an adjustable length, but once I figured out the proper length for me, I can leave it there and just buckle in. Now that I have figured that out, I may sew the buckle in place for good measure. Unfortunately, our sewing machine was broken when I did this so everything is hand sewn with a Speedy Stitcher. 

Hope this helps someone who is looking to try out the Professor Strap!

ETA: The nylon I used is rigid, which is what I prefer, but you could make this with elastic strap too.

38C7BF3B-3739-43D0-8F5C-6EFDF912150D.thumb.JPG.c975bf71df14e61a80c3084fcf3c68fb.JPG0D2EA8BD-6680-4546-9D9F-586D4B9FA781.thumb.JPG.e49ac75c227e8a6cbcb4fe00c8bb12e7.JPG06ED206D-CAAC-4734-9C68-108A0C9D52CC.thumb.JPG.e5beff423b030a26bd84c05f676f711b.JPG

On 9/15/2017 at 11:10 PM, cwarnar said:

That's how I set mine up. Figured if you ran it down to the calf is would almost be like a professor strap. Just not tied into the pad

Yeah, it's all personal preference but the reason I wanted the Professor strap directly on the leg channel was that to get the snugness I wanted I would have had to really crank down the knee strap and since it is attached to the knee block I was worried about it deforming (for lack of a better word) the knee block relative to the pad. 

It may work fine the other way, at this point I am as happy with the performance as I can be so I probably won't mess with it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the post. It inspired me to try something on my Ventus pads. I harvested some Velcro hook & loops from some old skater shorts. Uses that Velcro to attach Warrior sling strap to the pads leg channel cords. I then attach the sling strap to the pads calf wrap. I'm going to give them a try tomorrow. 

20171128_200404.jpg

20171128_200351.jpg

20171128_200343.jpg

20171128_200320.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 11:45 PM, Bubbles said:

Thanks for the post. It inspired me to try something on my Ventus pads. I harvested some Velcro hook & loops from some old skater shorts. Uses that Velcro to attach Warrior sling strap to the pads leg channel cords. I then attach the sling strap to the pads calf wrap. I'm going to give them a try tomorrow. 

Nice work. How did you like it?

Archived