Rebounds from soft shots

Quadzilla32

Hey guys,

I have recently been really focusing on rebound control but keep struggling with rebounds from soft shots. It might be the level and skill I’m playing at but I will get semi soft slap shots and the shots aren’t hard enough to really be directed away. I’m not sure if it’s me that is the issue but the shots will come in and hit my stick and bounce a foot or two out. Or I will try and direct them into the corner with my stick and they will bounce off my blade and once again only bounce out a couple feet, instead of ramping into the glass or into the corner. 

im sure my technique is lacking but any input would help. I might not be actively moving my stick and rather just letting the puck bit my blade and expecting the puck to deflect out. 

There have been previous threads about why it is difficult to play lower level hockey and I think your dilemma is the core of the problem. A good hard shot is easier to direct into the corner with blocker, stick or pads. Similarly that type of shot on the glove side or breadbasket buries itself and is easier to gobble up.

The biggest nightmare is that half speed shot mainly to a hard surface – pads, stick or blocker. If not handled properly it creates the proverbial juicy rebound. A blocker or pad on it is a bit easier to control as you can put a bit more “oomph” into your reaction and drive it out of the way. It’s a bit tougher with a stick as we aren’t necessarily used to actually having to apply a push to it. This is exacerbated if the blade is tilted back. If you watch the old-timers like Plante, he was a master at putting the shots into the corners, but he also stood straight up and had his blade 90 degrees to the ices surface.

One thing you said makes me wonder – you stated “…instead of ramping into the glass or into the corner.” I don’t think you want to ramp it. If it’s a low power shot, trying to get it off the ice will take more energy out of it causing it to die at an “inopportune” spot. I would just turn my stick and try to direct it along the ice surface (with a bit of a “helping nudge”). It will take some practice but I bet just being conscious of the need to help it along will make a difference

Yea, I know the kind of shots you're talking about, it's kind of the unpredictability of lower-level hockey. The curve-balls and off-speed shots that throw a goalie off balance. But for this question specifically, if it's shot in the air, try to catch it or hold it into your body. If it's shot on the ice, then do your best to direct the rebound to the corner. Sometimes maybe it's easier with the leg pads instead of the stick. If it does rebound back to the shooter, then just do your best to recover and prepare for the next shot.

It is definitely a skill level thing. That is easy to notice when playing in pickup or beer league with wide spread of players. The harder the shots are the easier those are to handle. And after a hard shot someone with less skill gives everything to it and makes a snap shot that barely flies to you like a butterfly that one is damn difficult to take in with anything else but catcher.

What would a pro level goalie like NHL do with such a shot? When would some random player try and trick things out with a sloppy shot in some higher level league? 

54 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

What would a pro level goalie like NHL do with such a shot? When would some random player try and trick things out with a sloppy shot in some higher level league? 

Yea, I was thinking about that too. Really, there are only 3 options, depending on the situation: 1) Hold the puck and don't give a rebound, 2) Direct the rebound to the corner, 3) recover and get in position for the next shot.

Got a few of those softies today. When those fly so that you can pick them with catcher there is no problem.

When not, like low and to blocker corner those prove to be difficult ones. You can't beat with blocker or kick those far away easily but still those ones tend to jump some annoying few feets away from you. That is enough if it goes behind the net but all the other directions leave the puck to a sector to score. Then the choice number 3 is strong.

Archived