Hands drifting

Quadzilla32

Hey guys, 

Been really focusing on my hand positioning lately and noticed that I tend to let my hands drift back parallel with my body instead of keeping them out in front of me. I keep making gloves saves with the catcher being parallel to my body. I don’t know if this is due to just not tracking the puck into my glove. 
It isn’t every save but more than I would like 

I haven’t had any lessons and kind of just started playing one day and picked up things as I went. Any remedy for this or just keep working on keeping my hands out in front? 

11 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Hey guys, 

Been really focusing on my hand positioning lately and noticed that I tend to let my hands drift back parallel with my body instead of keeping them out in front of me. I keep making gloves saves with the catcher being parallel to my body. I don’t know if this is due to just not tracking the puck into my glove. 
It isn’t every save but more than I would like 

I haven’t had any lessons and kind of just started playing one day and picked up things as I went. Any remedy for this or just keep working on keeping my hands out in front? 

You're finding your gloves drift parallel to your body while the puck is being cycled in your end? Or is it a "I went out to challenge this shooter and realized my hand wasn't in front of my body after he sniped me top corner" kind of thing?

3 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

You're finding your gloves drift parallel to your body while the puck is being cycled in your end? Or is it a "I went out to challenge this shooter and realized my hand wasn't in front of my body after he sniped me top corner" kind of thing?

More like when the pucks in my end I will start out strong with my hands out in front but as I move around and such I notice they start drifting back to my body. I mostly notice when i get a shot and my glove save is pretty much right in line with my leg pad 

22 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

More like when the pucks in my end I will start out strong with my hands out in front but as I move around and such I notice they start drifting back to my body. I mostly notice when i get a shot and my glove save is pretty much right in line with my leg pad 

So it's a "sustained pressure exposes gaps in your positioning" thing.

If the puck is cycling back and forth along the point, and I'm at the top of my crease, I find that my gloves and my angles start to get sloppy. There's not much I can do if my team is letting them make cross ice passes in the defensive zone, but I try to control that "sloppiness" by staying fairly deep in my paint, typically in contact with one of my posts, and only challenging out when the guy with the puck is in a position to shoot.

I find that making frequent contact with my net is the best way to keep my angles and glove positioning where they need to be.

@Quadzilla32 I have the exact same problem here with same definition from starting not so long ago and just trying to improve what ever I can.

Starting with my hands in position when puck comes into zone, then after some passes to corner - blue line etc I notice that my hands drift in badly kind of I'm going into blocking mode waiting for the shot to come instead of actively going to make the save when I need to. When the attack is fast I usually make good saves as my hands are in the good position to be active.

I think this is a thing of automation. My, and yours, hands are automatically drifting because of how we normally hold our hands. The stance as a goalie is quite a different to how we stand at the bus stop etc. And to get rid of this the only way is to change the automation process. So every time on ice I constantly try to think and re-think "hands forward, be ready". And all this without losing in the other areas of thinking about the game that is going on.

On previous sports that I was more professionally into there was a practise rule of 1000 repeats to get into automation of a habit and 10000 repeats to do it good. And all this repeating is always a bit failed when doing some repeats wrong in between.

So I'm not targetting myself to reach that automated level (not even close to 1000 repeats) but try to keep my hand positioning in mind and also do some exercise to it while puck is in the other end to get my subconscious in with this idea of hand positioning. And hopefully I'll overcome this drift at some time. Just to find something else I have work on. 😁

23 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

So it's a "sustained pressure exposes gaps in your positioning" thing.

If the puck is cycling back and forth along the point, and I'm at the top of my crease, I find that my gloves and my angles start to get sloppy. There's not much I can do if my team is letting them make cross ice passes in the defensive zone, but I try to control that "sloppiness" by staying fairly deep in my paint, typically in contact with one of my posts, and only challenging out when the guy with the puck is in a position to shoot.

I find that making frequent contact with my net is the best way to keep my angles and glove positioning where they need to be.

Honestly, I think this is the answer right here.

A lot of pro guys now use both a "shot tracking" and a "shot ready" position.

When tracking, you're deeper in the paint and your body position is more upright.

As the threat of a shot comes, drop into a shot ready position with gloves projected forward etc etc

it called a relax stance so you don't tire yourself out and easier to move around, shift upper right or left.

regular stance

and

crouch stance.

go youtube and search layered stance by  pasco something.

people have usually have wrong goalie stick which throws the upper body lean off and the hands.

angles and positioning , being square  ( with the glove towards the puck) as one example

Archived