Looking for reviews of CCM Total Custom

Hey guys, frist post. 

Background on me is that I quit hockey at 15 due to mental health (autistic) and unbeknownst to me since nobody told me my feet had grown to EEE width and nothing stock fit me as a player.

About 2 years ago I got the hare-brained idea to return to hockey via goaltending. I figured out I was too wide for stock skates through trying out the Bauer custom molder system and the width bar going off the end. Plus after trying a 9.5ee x900 for craps and giggles hoping them might work. I love this skating field they just hurt like a son of a bitch. So I walked into Pro Hockey Life and got scan for Trues. My experience with them has not been actually at all Pleasant and I'm actually flustrated to the point after 2 years that I want to try something different. First pair they made me I couldn't stay in for longer than 10 to 15 minutes. Second pair I've been tolerating pain iusses I still have with them for the past two years and trying to Soldier on with them. Plus I dont enjoy the bite of 4mm width steel as I am 6'3" 290lbs over 3mm I tired with x900.

I've seen people not happy with True like me make the swap to the FT2 total custom. (I've been looking at the new AS3 though. I think I'll like the lower boot cut I think.). So I few months ago I said screw it, I need to maybe save up to try it.

I have been chatting with a goalie coach I did a camp with and want to work with more about my iusses. He works at a local store and right now it's looking like next Tuesday I'll be getting scanned with him.

I just wanted to have a sober second thought of doing it before I throw out $1,300 😅

1 hour ago, CJ Boiss said:

Sounds like you've gone through a lot of different boots. What kind of footbeds/insoles/orthotics are you using, if any?

Everything. Legit. Greens, yellow, thicker foam insoles cause too much pressure and my feet really hurt then. Stock is been best.

Technical 3 boots for goalie. Um, I did get my money back for x900. I mean, if they didn't hurt me I would have stuck with em as I enjoyed the skating feeling.

2 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

Sounds like you've gone through a lot of different boots. What kind of footbeds/insoles/orthotics are you using, if any?

I am just flustered. The way ccm has your feet up on clear plexiglass so you get a full 360 render and using a ture one peice boot that has the outsole be heat moldable would be bloody fantastic I think vs True.

I just want to skate pain free in my feet at least for the frist time in like 7 years? What? 14-15 and now 22. I cannot math, experiencing Insomnia.

FB_IMG_1607337971154.jpg

I have the Custom molded ones. The step between the store bake and the total custom.

I could probably not fit a jet speed retail skate. The 3D molded are the best fitting skates I own.

I think CCM has the best custom program in the business right now. I know how the True skates are produced. They process is not very impressive from a technology or manufacturing standpoint. CCM makes your foot in 3D from the foot scan. The True process takes your foot scan and turns it into a 2D topography map.

My foot is some what weird, a small polish sausage. I went to Dukes and went total custom with ccm. At first they thought that an AS3 wouldn't be right because they can only move the top 3 eyelids, where the FT2 they could move the first 6. 

In the end though the AS3 worked. I'm pain free and love it. 

On 12/9/2020 at 7:06 AM, TheGoalNet said:

I have the Custom molded ones. The step between the store bake and the total custom.

I could probably not fit a jet speed retail skate. The 3D molded are the best fitting skates I own.

I think CCM has the best custom program in the business right now. I know how the True skates are produced. They process is not very impressive from a technology or manufacturing standpoint. CCM makes your foot in 3D from the foot scan. The True process takes your foot scan and turns it into a 2D topography map.

CCM seems to have dropped the custom molded option recently when I talked with Goalie Skate Center here in Calgary about it.

On 12/9/2020 at 7:06 AM, TheGoalNet said:

No way in hell would a stock skate fit me anyway. I am just hoping to god that they can make a skate fit my foot without pain. All I want. Plus 3mm width steel with a SAM profile cause I hate the bite of 4mm due to being almost 300lbs and I just dig in during movements.

I don't have custom skates, so I can't give you a review, but I had a couple considerations when I was looking into them:

• IMHO custom toe box is one of the biggest benefits of a custom skate.  Stock skates have a toe box sized based on the skate length, and toe boxes are narrow by design.  This is compounds fit issues because fact that the moldable part of the skate is limited by the connection point to the toe box; therefore forefoot width is the least moldable dimension of the skate.  If you go the custom route, put on a stock skate with the toe box you are selecting, move your foot to the front of the boot to see if the width is good and if there is enough/too much volume; ignore the rest of the fit of that skate.
  • Skates are also designed to compress your toes/feet to facilitate efficient force transfer; therefore, you should expect your foot to hang off the insole, but by how much cannot be easily quantified especially since toes will spread out when you put more pressure on that foot.  I have a wider forefoot than you based on the pic you shared (my pinky toe hangs off 1 3/8" off the 6EE footbed of by Ribcor 44k goalie skates and 1 1/4" off my 6.5EE Reebok 18k player skates) but the skates are comfortable for 2hr skates now that they have been broken in (more on that below).
  • If you have pressure points (aka hot spots) in the skate, punching out specific areas will create more volume, but also provide less cushioning.  Molding the skate or breaking them in allows for a more even distribution of the volume of the skate, and maintains more cushioning.  Lack of cushioning comes into play when the foot is not in a 'normal' orientation, but when your foot contorts when pushing or in butterfly stance.  Therefore, the custom molding/custom skate construction is theoretically superior to simply punching out the skate. 

I didn't end up buying custom skates because I decided to make a cast of my foot using plaster cement which I used to break in my goalie and player skates successfully. I hope this helps.

On 12/13/2020 at 1:48 PM, KB_TheDireWolf said:

CCM seems to have dropped the custom molded option recently when I talked with Goalie Skate Center here in Calgary about it.

Sorry was not aware of that. My guess is that not many people did that vs the total custom and they wanted to focus on the full custom.

On 12/9/2020 at 12:08 AM, KB_TheDireWolf said:

Hey guys, frist post. 

Background on me is that I quit hockey at 15 due to mental health (autistic) and unbeknownst to me since nobody told me my feet had grown to EEE width and nothing stock fit me as a player.

About 2 years ago I got the hare-brained idea to return to hockey via goaltending. I figured out I was too wide for stock skates through trying out the Bauer custom molder system and the width bar going off the end. Plus after trying a 9.5ee x900 for craps and giggles hoping them might work. I love this skating field they just hurt like a son of a bitch. So I walked into Pro Hockey Life and got scan for Trues. My experience with them has not been actually at all Pleasant and I'm actually flustrated to the point after 2 years that I want to try something different. First pair they made me I couldn't stay in for longer than 10 to 15 minutes. Second pair I've been tolerating pain iusses I still have with them for the past two years and trying to Soldier on with them. Plus I dont enjoy the bite of 4mm width steel as I am 6'3" 290lbs over 3mm I tired with x900.

I've seen people not happy with True like me make the swap to the FT2 total custom. (I've been looking at the new AS3 though. I think I'll like the lower boot cut I think.). So I few months ago I said screw it, I need to maybe save up to try it.

I have been chatting with a goalie coach I did a camp with and want to work with more about my iusses. He works at a local store and right now it's looking like next Tuesday I'll be getting scanned with him.

I just wanted to have a sober second thought of doing it before I throw out $1,300 😅

A couple things to unpack here, I'll go line by line

First pair they made me I couldn't stay in for longer than 10 to 15 minutes. Second pair I've been tolerating pain iusses I still have with them for the past two years and trying to Soldier on with them.

Are you in the one piece or two piece?
Where are the pain spots?
Are pain spots consistent across between left and right? 
What about between scans (first and second make)?
What did your retailer do to help?

Plus I dont enjoy the bite of 4mm width steel as I am 6'3" 290lbs over 3mm I tired with x900.

What are you getting your skates done at on 4mm?  What about 3mm?

Does this shop offer the CCM 90 day fit guarantee?  Does it apply to custom?  If so, what are you worried about?

image.png.4c4bd688dec4556d48a528ebfb84a165.png

On 12/14/2020 at 2:29 PM, vbk said:

I don't have custom skates, so I can't give you a review, but I had a couple considerations when I was looking into them:

• IMHO custom toe box is one of the biggest benefits of a custom skate.  Stock skates have a toe box sized based on the skate length, and toe boxes are narrow by design.  This is compounds fit issues because fact that the moldable part of the skate is limited by the connection point to the toe box; therefore forefoot width is the least moldable dimension of the skate.  If you go the custom route, put on a stock skate with the toe box you are selecting, move your foot to the front of the boot to see if the width is good and if there is enough/too much volume; ignore the rest of the fit of that skate.
  • Skates are also designed to compress your toes/feet to facilitate efficient force transfer; therefore, you should expect your foot to hang off the insole, but by how much cannot be easily quantified especially since toes will spread out when you put more pressure on that foot.  I have a wider forefoot than you based on the pic you shared (my pinky toe hangs off 1 3/8" off the 6EE footbed of by Ribcor 44k goalie skates and 1 1/4" off my 6.5EE Reebok 18k player skates) but the skates are comfortable for 2hr skates now that they have been broken in (more on that below).
  • If you have pressure points (aka hot spots) in the skate, punching out specific areas will create more volume, but also provide less cushioning.  Molding the skate or breaking them in allows for a more even distribution of the volume of the skate, and maintains more cushioning.  Lack of cushioning comes into play when the foot is not in a 'normal' orientation, but when your foot contorts when pushing or in butterfly stance.  Therefore, the custom molding/custom skate construction is theoretically superior to simply punching out the skate. 

I didn't end up buying custom skates because I decided to make a cast of my foot using plaster cement which I used to break in my goalie and player skates successfully. I hope this helps.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RUqjEuZU77wB3i2q9

On 12/14/2020 at 10:47 PM, Chenner29 said:

A couple things to unpack here, I'll go line by line

Are you in the one piece or two piece?
Where are the pain spots?
Are pain spots consistent across between left and right? 
What about between scans (first and second make)?
What did your retailer do to help?

What are you getting your skates done at on 4mm?  What about 3mm?

Does this shop offer the CCM 90 day fit guarantee?  Does it apply to custom?  If so, what are you worried about?

image.png.4c4bd688dec4556d48a528ebfb84a165.png

I am used to nothing fitting me. I am autistic so I worry anyway more than normal. 

Archived