CCM Axis 600

ThatCarGuy

Anyone have one of these who can say how it performs? I tried an EF4 glove on ice the other day and it felt amazing I’m just worried about the palm seal. Hockeyreviewsca showed off this issue and I got to see it for myself. 
BE9C7157-389F-4476-A2F6-71C86F4E4153.thumb.jpeg.1c8c4a5bdbd2eccfbbc26b95b88aa2ec.jpeg
Matt’s solution was crushing the foams at the base of the palm. Does an Axis 600 have this same problem?

13 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Anyone have one of these who can say how it performs? I tried an EF4 glove on ice the other day and it felt amazing I’m just worried about the palm seal. Hockeyreviewsca showed off this issue and I got to see it for myself. 
BE9C7157-389F-4476-A2F6-71C86F4E4153.thumb.jpeg.1c8c4a5bdbd2eccfbbc26b95b88aa2ec.jpeg
Matt’s solution was crushing the foams at the base of the palm. Does an Axis 600 have this same problem?

Why does everyone get so bent out of shape on this?

Unless you are doing some obnoxious Windmill Wednesday, the puck is not popping out of there. It's like a knit pick that bug people that is probably a non issue in practicality?

With that said, EF5 has changed the 600 glove in the spirit of closure.

59 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Why does everyone get so bent out of shape on this?

Unless you are doing some obnoxious Windmill Wednesday, the puck is not popping out of there. It's like a knit pick that bug people that is probably a non issue in practicality?

With that said, EF5 has changed the 600 glove in the spirit of closure.

It impacts stickhandling for sure - having that bump at the base of the palm makes keeping a good grip on the stick much more difficult in my experience.  My XLT 590 had a similar bump on the finger side, so I took it to my local skate shop, had them heat it up, wrapped it around my stick, smashed the glove closed around the stick several times and then tied it up.  The stick actually fits into the break of the palm much better and the difference in how I was able to fire off a pass was instantly noticeable my next time on the ice.

22 minutes ago, AdamL said:

It impacts stickhandling for sure - having that bump at the base of the palm makes keeping a good grip on the stick much more difficult in my experience.  My XLT 590 had a similar bump on the finger side, so I took it to my local skate shop, had them heat it up, wrapped it around my stick, smashed the glove closed around the stick several times and then tied it up.  The stick actually fits into the break of the palm much better and the difference in how I was able to fire off a pass was instantly noticeable my next time on the ice.

Great response. I don't think it's something I have considered, but this makes sense.

Showing a closed glove and saying it does not work is superficial

21 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Great response. I don't think it's something I have considered, but this makes sense.

Showing a closed glove and saying it does not work is superficial

It catches fine but like @AdamL said it makes a noticeable difference in puck handling ability. I’m happy to fix the bump myself I’m just wondering whether or not axis has it. I won’t be getting an EF5 set since knee rolls and pads with deep boot channels aren’t really my thing. 

7 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

It catches fine but like @AdamL said it makes a noticeable difference in puck handling ability. I’m happy to fix the bump myself I’m just wondering whether or not axis has it. I won’t be getting an EF5 set since knee rolls and pads with deep boot channels aren’t really my thing. 

Didn’t you get the new bauers a few months ago? Already need new stuff?

8 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Didn’t you get the new bauers a few months ago? Already need new stuff?

2s durability (specifically the knee block and toe binding) isn’t what I expected and unfortunately I can only buy full ccm sets going custom through my team. The plan is to use the bauers til I sign for the season then order an neutral color custom spec’d axis set that I’d use for the next 3 years

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

2s durability (specifically the knee block and toe binding) isn’t what I expected and unfortunately I can only buy full ccm sets going custom through my team. The plan is to use the bauers til I sign for the season then order an neutral color custom spec’d axis set that I’d use for the next 3 years

You will not get through 3 seasons with any brand if you are playing Jr hockey. You are on the ice multiple times a day? Your CHL equivalents get 2-3 sets a season, why are you getting away with 1 per 3 seasons?

What specifically is wrong with the toe binding? Getting that fixed is way cheaper than a new set of Axis gear...

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

You will not get through 3 seasons with any brand if you are playing Jr hockey. You are on the ice multiple times a day? Your CHL equivalents get 2-3 sets a season, why are you getting away with 1 per 3 seasons?

What specifically is wrong with the toe binding? Getting that fixed is way cheaper than a new set of Axis gear...

Unfortunately I’m still at the level where you have to pay to play juniors but hopefully that changes here soon. 2-3 sets isn’t feasible at the moment even considering the prices I get my sets for. I could absolutely fix the toe and knee binding myself but who doesn't like new gear? I'll probably fix the bindings to increase the resale value anyways. I’ll be ordering axis with zero speedskin and the stiffest core available. Trying to maximize the durability as much possible. 
@A.YOUNGoalie13 I know 4 sets in two years is ridiculous but keep in mind I’m not just stocking up on gear I am still selling the gear as I buy it plus the way I play it doesn’t wear down the pads stiffness much

Archived