JRZ foam core stick review

RichMan

Got this stick as a Father's Day gift. Been wanting to check them out for a while and my son was quick enough to pull out detail info from me and pretending it was for a buddy of his without my noticing anything lolll.

Had a chance to use it last night in my first game in a year and a half. My other sticks are Sher-woods foamcore in 26" and were getting banged up pretty good. With the JRZ I decided to go back to a 25" after a decade and test my stance and puck playing ability. So I had no issues with my stance, unfortunetally I didn't get any real opportunity to play the puck. 

The stick isn't too heavy but not very light either (I'll get the weight for you later). The grip is fine. I'd love to experiment with all the different paddle cuts and mods out there to help with my stick/blocker angle positionning but that will be on the older woods first. I didn't cut the upper shaft down as I wasn't sure about the 25" paddle yet and the effect on my hip flexibility (or lack of) and since I didn't get a chance to really handle and/or shoot the puck, I'm going to wait on this to see.

The blade is what seems to be a toe curve? Not sure but I ussually prefer a straight curve. I did deflect 2 shots into the opposite corners and avoided any ramping shots over my gloves or pads.

The full verdict isn't out just yet but I will update in a few more games how I really feel about it.

Richard 

20210630_122742.jpg

20210630_122814.jpg

20210630_122821.jpg

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 2

Looks good.. the blade seems to be pretty open unless it's just the angle .. it reminds me of the blade on my Northstar stick.. took awhile to get a feel for passing and shooting with it.. I was coming from a much more closed blade. 

Did you or do you feel you may need to make some adjustments puck handling with it? 

Does this have a wood or composite shaft? I have never investigated what curve choices they have. That curve looks super open.

Pertaining to the comment about missing the old Koho sticks: it seems that many companies forgot how to make a wood shaft. When constructed correctly, they bend and snap back just like composite shafts. It’s all in how the plies are put together.

This characteristic of no kick point has become such a problem that Warrior has gone out of their way to let everyone know that their new goalie sticks have a kick point just above the paddle. I was wondering when that was to be addressed.

So the next morning of my game I had a close look at my stick and noticed that already the fiberglass on the blade is lifting at a few areas, not something you would expect from one game at a low-mid beer league. Might just be a dud, we'll see. I did reach out to JRZ with pics and asked for a replacement. I'm waiting for a reply. 

As for your question @bunnyman666 , I believe the top shaft is all wood. The paddle seems your regular mix. Maybe the following pic of the natural looking stick shows it?

JRZ Goalie Sticks Natural P41

5 hours ago, RichMan said:

So the next morning of my game I had a close look at my stick and noticed that already the fiberglass on the blade is lifting at a few areas, not something you would expect from one game at a low-mid beer league. Might just be a dud, we'll see. I did reach out to JRZ with pics and asked for a replacement. I'm waiting for a reply. 

As for your question @bunnyman666 , I believe the top shaft is all wood. The paddle seems your regular mix. Maybe the following pic of the natural looking stick shows it?

JRZ Goalie Sticks Natural P41

That fibreglass should not be doing that.