Sparx machine on true 1 piece skates

Help: Does anyone know if you need to use the goalie risers on True 1 piece  goalie skates when using the Sparx sharpening machine? My coach just got a Sparx machine for our locker room and after reading the instructions I was still left with some questions. 

Also if anyone has any experience with the Sparx Fire wheels, what was your impression of them? Did they make a difference when you skated?

Another question, I've heard that you should flip your skate when it’s getting sharpened, is this true?]

Thanks

43 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Be carful with using a sparx. The machine doesn’t and is unable to account for different radiuses and profiles and is prone to missing parts of the blade. This is also why some people say they’ve used machines like this and have no inner or outer edge after a sharpening.

This is simply not true IF the Sparx is properly calibrated, maintained and adjusted.   I have a friend who owns a Sparx and takes good care of it.  Compared to the average sharpening you get at a rink or pro shop it's a better option.   

Now, if you sharpen your own, or know a guy, or are lucky enough to have a store that takes pride in sharpening, you'll get better results than a Sparx, both in terms of the quality of finish on the steel and profile retention.  And I freely admit I've seen some skates that came off a Sparx that the owner did the old "set it and forget it" routine on that were pretty rough.  But even those were better than some of the nonsense I've seen churned out when some kid who's had very little training is turned loose with a cheap freehand sharpener.

Fire/FBV sharpenings work better on my player skates than they do my goalie skates IMHO.  ROH sharpenings are more forgiving when banged off a post.  As a skater though I swear by FBV type sharpenings though and would encourage you to try it.

Flipping your skate isn't needed IF the Sparx is calibrated correctly.   I'd read the manual, make sure you understand what goes into dialing in a perfect sharpening and in general make yourself the SME on how the Sparx operates.   Investing a little bit of time in dialing in your profile/sharpening and being able to diagnose issues with it yourself can pay huge dividends in your ability to move around on the ice.

Edited by Puckstopper
  • Like 2

Taken directly from their website: "Yes. If your goalie skate has a cowling, you would use the goalie risers that are included with the purchase of your sharpener. If you have a cowling-less goalie skate, you would sharpen your goal skates like any other pair of skates. Also, see our goalie skate sharpening page."

9 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

When in doubt, sharpen the blade out of the skate. I use the blade holder extensively and like the results better.

How does the finish come out when you do that?  I find that I notice more vibration when sharpening blades without the skate to soak up some of the vibration.   If someone brings in multiple sets of blades I always take the time to sharpen each set of steel in their skates to absorb some of the vibration and get a better finish.   

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

How does the finish come out when you do that?  I find that I notice more vibration when sharpening blades without the skate to soak up some of the vibration.   If someone brings in multiple sets of blades I always take the time to sharpen each set of steel in their skates to absorb some of the vibration and get a better finish.   

My finish turns out great. Which gen Sparx do you have? Mine has no vibration. Heck- that could be a malfunction LOL

• 3 weeks later...