Jump to content

Modern Combo


Recommended Posts

I am not talking about a Mage or composite moulded combo; I am talking plastic helmet with a cage on it Combo. 
 
The SK2000 was a decent base helmet for a combo: not too many flat spaces. Of course I wouldn’t trust 30 year old plastic to protect me.

The old M11 Cascade wasn’t bad. It continued on as a Bauer model for five minutes. It had a pretty cool padding system. 
 
I came upon the lowly CCM HT50 as a combo. It has dual-density padding; of course I added Kemmler “gel” in several places for both fit and extra protection. The shape is decent and really isn’t flat in too many places. I am carrying this with me as mainly a spare, but may wear it with retro unis. It ticks many a box for a modern combo.

 

 

2D66DD83-C784-4B52-AFE1-F2EAEB098A16.jpeg

D5B470D1-9915-44D7-9D31-8E6CFB1B6B24.jpeg

Edited by bunnyman666
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

TI am not talking about a Mage or composite moulded combo; I am talking plastic helmet with a cage on it Combo. 
 
The SK2000 was a decent base helmet for a combo: not too many flat spaces. Of course I wouldn’t trust 30 year old plastic to protect me.

The old M11 Cascade wasn’t bad. It continued on as a Bauer model for five minutes. It had a pretty cool padding system. 
 
I came upon the lowly CCM HT50 as a combo. It has dual-density padding; of course I added Kemmler “gel” in several places for both fit and extra protection. The shape is decent and really isn’t flat in too many places. I am carrying this with me as mainly a spare, but may wear it with retro unis. It ticks many a box for a modern combo.

 

 

2D66DD83-C784-4B52-AFE1-F2EAEB098A16.jpeg

D5B470D1-9915-44D7-9D31-8E6CFB1B6B24.jpeg

Looks gross. Love it. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm more of a classic clean combo guy. I've worn the SK2000/HM30 Osgood, Cloutier, the SK600/HM30 Tretiak, Vernon, the Sk2000/HM50? Hasek, Prussek, the JOFA390/bubble cage. I did try an Itech cage and another Cooper bubble cage that the number escapes me.

All of these were available in pictures on the old GSBB (R.I.P.).

The newer Thomas and Kaskisuo combos look cool but I haven't seen one live. They remind me of the old JOFA mask combo. Another company also had a built on plastic cheek/chin plate. I forgot the name, again. I had one of those as well. Winwell I believe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I'm more of a classic clean combo guy. I've worn the SK2000/HM30 Osgood, Cloutier, the SK600/HM30 Tretiak, Vernon, the Sk2000/HM50? Hasek, Prussek, the JOFA390/bubble cage. I did try an Itech cage and another Cooper bubble cage that the number escapes me.

All of these were available in pictures on the old GSBB (R.I.P.).

The newer Thomas and Kaskisuo combos look cool but I haven't seen one live. They remind me of the old JOFA mask combo. Another company also had a built on plastic cheek/chin plate. I forgot the name, again. I had one of those as well. Winwell I believe?

Itech made a cheek and chin protector. I had a composite version.

If I could source the moulds, you had better believe I would have a new SK2000.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

I'm more of a classic clean combo guy. I've worn the SK2000/HM30 Osgood, Cloutier, the SK600/HM30 Tretiak, Vernon, the Sk2000/HM50? Hasek, Prussek, the JOFA390/bubble cage. I did try an Itech cage and another Cooper bubble cage that the number escapes me.

All of these were available in pictures on the old GSBB (R.I.P.).

The newer Thomas and Kaskisuo combos look cool but I haven't seen one live. They remind me of the old JOFA mask combo. Another company also had a built on plastic cheek/chin plate. I forgot the name, again. I had one of those as well. Winwell I believe?

I've always liked the Osgood and Cloutier look, I get flak from the guys for wanting that combo look. I guess there's not a lot of 20-30 year old guys that dig that style. I recently just got a Coveted 2 piece combo and I'm loving it so far, in all honesty besides the better vision and fit to my head I cant notice a huge difference coming from my old Eddy mask. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Brewskee69 said:

I've always liked the Osgood and Cloutier look, I get flak from the guys for wanting that combo look. I guess there's not a lot of 20-30 year old guys that dig that style. I recently just got a Coveted 2 piece combo and I'm loving it so far, in all honesty besides the better vision and fit to my head I cant notice a huge difference coming from my old Eddy mask. 

I wear a Mage-style. I always go back the the more open style of combos or Mage because they always were more comfy with better vision. 

I do have a 387 style cage coming that is likely a repro. I am hoping it is a repro as it’s likely made better. I may have to pop that onto my spare Mage shell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2021 at 12:02 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Itech made a cheek and chin protector. I had a composite version.

If I could source the moulds, you had better believe I would have a new SK2000.

Sean from Custom Composites out of Cali makes some. Rey also has a similar version. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Shawn has built me a couple. I am talking new plastic SK2000, which is unobtanium.

Yes, Shawn. I always messed up his spelling. Hope he doesn't hate me :(. He made me a shell when he first experimented with the Hasek look-a-like. Really nice guy.

Plastic SK reproduced parts are even rarer than Unicorns and Sasquatches. All examples so far have been composites. I'm sure you might get lucky on FB if you searched hard enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RichMan said:

Yes, Shawn. I always messed up his spelling. Hope he doesn't hate me :(. He made me a shell when he first experimented with the Hasek look-a-like. Really nice guy.

Plastic SK reproduced parts are even rarer than Unicorns and Sasquatches. All examples so far have been composites. I'm sure you might get lucky on FB if you searched hard enough.

I knew someone who was wanting to start producing new SK2000 helmets. But alas, a few complications came about and it never was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wishEMT said:

I was in a Bauer 4500 for a minute while waiting on my Kustom Composites SK clone. Not many flat spots. I was looking for an old Bauer 5000 or something similar…

The 4500 has direct lineage from the 2000, so it stood to reason that the 4500 was okay in use as a combo.             

I was going to test mine tonight, but temps are going to be quite low tonight. Don’t need plastic to be brittle by cold weather and shattered by the guy trying to bury it bar down. 

Edited by bunnyman666
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...