Softer catch surface

bunnyman666

We have been chasing the hottest rebounds known to human kind on pads and blockers. We know the flubber material doesn’t work too well on chesties. I de-flubbered my 1X with great satisfaction.

But with all of this, what about creating the softest playing catch mitt? If anyone read about my B*****m leather mitts, I said that they play soft. I had better puck control than Jenpro. But leather is heavy and does require more care. 

My solution? Why not have a lightweight built glove with leather on the catch surface? I would spec Cordura in all but the toughest wearing places with a leather T and catch surface. This way, I can enjoy all the benefits of a soft catch surface with lighter weight and easier care.

I am trying to see who wants/is able to take this on.

Edited by bunnyman666

34 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Wasn't this the idea behind the Nash insert in Brian's gloves?

That could be; however- two things with Nash:

1) waterlogging worse than leather

2) you can’t get the thicker stuff that was around in McLean’s day, and so the newer stuff is just wimpy

Another thing to consider: even Nash doesn’t play as soft as a leather catch surface. I have had the Nash catch surface (made by bonding two “hides” together), and it’s still a bit squirrelly compared to real leather. Playing in the B*****m glove set was a revelation. 

I suspect that my second leather Battram Trapper was made as a practise glove.  With arthritis now beginning to distort my fingers along with 60+ years of catching pucks, I do enjoy the extra padding in the pocket. But the offshoot is that I am dropping pucks and creating soft rebounds. I have loosened the pocket with various adjustments but need to deal with these pop outs.

13 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

I suspect that my second leather Battram Trapper was made as a practise glove.  With arthritis now beginning to distort my fingers along with 60+ years of catching pucks, I do enjoy the extra padding in the pocket. But the offshoot is that I am dropping pucks and creating soft rebounds. I have loosened the pocket with various adjustments but need to deal with these pop outs.

You could adopt the Lundy method of cradling to the body.

Sound plan Bunnyman. But being a stand up goalie I don't always have my body backing up my glove. Envision a scarecrow with a trapper on the end of his arm.

I have always backed up my blocker with my trapper against my chest snagging those blocker rebounds whenever possible. I suspect that pop outs are the product of my hand's slow response in closing the pocket.

But, still, ain't it fun?

27 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

Sound plan Bunnyman. But being a stand up goalie I don't always have my body backing up my glove. Envision a scarecrow with a trapper on the end of his arm.

I have always backed up my blocker with my trapper against my chest snagging those blocker rebounds whenever possible. I suspect that pop outs are the product of my hand's slow response in closing the pocket.

But, still, ain't it fun?

Overcoming the challenges is the greatest part of this position.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...