Bauer Goalie Mask - Internal nut in foam???

Hi everyone! I just bought a new Bauer mask, but I've noticed after cross threading a screw during a cage replacement as I didn't like the stock one that the internal nut is actually inside the foam and not behind! I forgot to turn counterclockwise before going in which was a stupid mistake, and now I have a problem where I need to gut the foam to replace the part after I get the screw out.

Is this supposed to be the norm for these masks now? If so has anyone just applied a different install like other masks, and then just glued in the foam after?

The mask fits well, and this is my only complaint so far. This seems like a bad flaw, not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Edited by OldSchoolGoalie

It's been that way (at least for NME masks) for a while now. It's called a mechanical liner. The female part of the nut is glued into the foam. You can carefully peel at the foam till you get access, put in a replacement, and then glue it back with contact cement. Some people suggest freezing the glue first to make it easier to come apart.

If you wanted to, you could definitely reinstall the liner with glue, or replace it entirely with an aftermarket kit. I'm not aware of anywhere you can get an entire new liner even though it could be easily replaced. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

It's been that way (at least for NME masks) for a while now. It's called a mechanical liner. The female part of the nut is glued into the foam. You can carefully peel at the foam till you get access, put in a replacement, and then glue it back with contact cement. Some people suggest freezing the glue first to make it easier to come apart.

If you wanted to, you could definitely reinstall the liner with glue, or replace it entirely with an aftermarket kit. I'm not aware of anywhere you can get an entire new liner even though it could be easily replaced. 

Resilient Goalie has NME ones now finally, I've used it and it fits well.

https://www.resilientgoalie.com/bauer-nme

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Okay, I'll have to do it for the one part once I figure out how to get this piece out, maybe I'll need to grind it off... I've never cross threaded a screw with all the masks I've had prior. This one is pretty stuck!

Edited by OldSchoolGoalie

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolGoalie said:

Okay, I'll have to do it for the one part once I figure out how to get this piece out, maybe I'll need to grind it off... Never had a stripped screw with all the masks I've had prior. This one is pretty stuck!

If it's due to rust, there's nothing better than PB blaster to loosen the nut, but make sure you seal off the surrounding areas as you don't want any overspray.

https://blasterproducts.com/product/pb-blaster-penetrant/

• Like 1