Butterfly slide

Netnewbie

What kind of pads?  Some pads won't slide as well as others depending on material, construction, etc... ice conditions can make a difference as well.  But, generally its a technique issue.  A common mistake I see new goalies make is trying to push across without loading up on their push leg.  They actually do the opposite and lean to the side they are pushing towards.  That shift your weight onto the pad you want to be sliding with which can drastically limit your ability to slide.

8 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

What kind of pads?  Some pads won't slide as well as others depending on material, construction, etc... ice conditions can make a difference as well.  But, generally its a technique issue.  A common mistake I see new goalies make is trying to push across without loading up on their push leg.  They actually do the opposite and lean to the side they are pushing towards.  That shift your weight onto the pad you want to be sliding with which can drastically limit your ability to slide.

Ok I will give that a go.  I have been really leaning on the sliding leg

It takes practice for sure. If you don't get much free skating time, definitely try to practice it in between whistles. Nothing crazy, just drop down and push back and fourth a couple times. 

I also find doing the "pendulum routine" (that is pushing back and forth and over and over) much more useful than just pushing off once, 1 and done. By going back and fourth, you're going to automatically be loading up all your weight on your pushing leg, since that's the leg that's stopping you're movement from the previous slide. You'll get into a good rhythm, and soon you'll be rocketing around the crease without any issues. 

I'd also throw in (something I've only realized the significance of in my new pads), make sure you've got your weight shifted forward over your knees. You should be sitting up tall, rather than slouching back. You want to be up high, so that your pushing skate can have a high angle of attack to the ice, which will give you a ton more leverage to push with.

9 times out of 10, if I push and my skate slips out, it's because my weight is too far back I'm slouching down. It's the difference between "wow, this is hard, how do the pro's do it so well?" and "This is easy"

Archived