Aegis Padded Base Layers

14 hours ago, acharmedmatrix said:

Received my order today. I'll try to walk through the whole thing step by step with my thoughts

CleanShot2023-09-05at20_53_51.thumb.png.ee64c98f72c0a4b115f2bcb62d55e211.png

To start I was pleasantly surprised with the packaging and clear tags. I'm so used to this type of stuff just existing on a hanger with a useless tag, these actually have information about the product and using it.

CleanShot2023-09-05at20_55_11.thumb.png.d3241429ad2a7f7299b57c5d07cf62f3.png

I was a bit surprised to discover the shirt came without the padding in, but it comes in a nice little laundry bag. 

CleanShot2023-09-05at20_56_54.thumb.png.876fca32727495337db013fc4df7706b.png

Here's the shirt laid out with the padding on top. Sorry, looks like I forgot to take a pic with the pads in. The rib and bicep pads went in very easily. I struggled a little bit with the clavicle and sternum inserts as they are inside the shirt while the others are on the outside. I'm a bit concerned about me being lazy with removing and replacing these when I wash the shirt. I also just ordered a Kova neck guard which may make these completely redundant. 

Currently I wear an old Verbero shirt with just generic foam padding. Interestingly the Verbero has significantly more coverage while also being about 80g lighter. That being said when I wore the Aegis shirt the additional weight was not at all noticeable. This shirt does have a much better length than the Verbero both on the body and sleeves which is actually a big bonus because the Verbero would sometimes roll up from certain motions and it's a pain to fix once all the gear is on. 

CleanShot2023-09-05at20_59_46.thumb.png.6244b986834c3c7768483e796e3c3c3a.png

I threw on my chesty in the basement and tried to move around a bit, I did not notice any obstructions from the bicep pad which I was a bit worried about due to the width and I did not find the arm grips to be problematic at all as I saw some posters mention.

Overall it seems like a comfortable shirt with a good fit, the D3O foam (is that the right term?) is pretty cool. I am definitely going to try it my next time on the ice. Pants in the next post... 

My shirt arrived today, and I'm going to try it our tonight.  I was struggling with inserting the clavicle protection until I turned the shirt inside out.  Then it was much easier.

-steve

Got the pants today, will try them out in a game tomorrow night. For those wondering about the compression level, I'd rate the Aegis 1/10 as they fit fairly loose, my Bauer pants (https://www.thehockeyshop.com/products/bauer-elite-seamless-senior-baselayer-pants) are a 3/10 and my EC3D compression shorts are a 9/10. Tried on the pants with my EC3D's on underneath, plenty of room to fit them in.

The foam inserts take a few moments to pull in and out, but I was impressed by how impact resistant they are - did a few standing butterfly's into the ground without my kneepads and they performed much better than I expected given how thin they are. With the kneepads on the cushioning was excellent, though I'll still have to tape them into place as I found they were sliding down even with the grippy bits on the pants. 

Sizing wise: I'm 5'11, 180lbs, wear 32 inch slim cut pants day to day, went for the medium and there's plenty of give if I was 15-20lbs heavier. Pants reach all the way down to the bottom of my ankles, these definitely run on the long side.

Debating whether I'll wear my long compression socks over or under the pants, generally I've worn them under my Bauer pants if anyone has recommendations.

• Like 1

I wore the Aegis shirt last night for the first time.  I really like it.  It is much lighter than my UnEqual padded base layers.  It is closer to loose fit than compression, which I also liked.  I didn't really take any rockets off of the padded areas so I can't comment on protection.  I pulled the pads out afterwards and the shirt is currently in the washer, so we will start the durability testing now.  Overall, I can see myself transitioning to Aegis as my UnEqual's wear out.

-steve 

Got a skate in last night. I ended up not using the sternum or clavicle pads since I had my Kova neck guard. The shirt stayed in place well, didn't really get tested padding wise, I ran a little hot, but not sure if that was any other factors (warm rink, 50 shots, etc). Shirt stayed in place well so I'm happy on that front.

I did the pants with my compression pants over them for cup and socks. I do think it downgraded the compression a bit which is a bummer. Tempted to do compression base, then these and then loose fitting jock, but I'm afraid I'd overheat with that many layers. The star of the show with these is the knee padding and the grip which I think exceeded my expectations. My knee guards didn't move AT ALL throughout the game (and it was a busy one) and with the extra padding I didn't feel any pain from any of my drops.

I'll keep wearing the top, I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other. The bottoms I am definitely going to keep wearing and experimenting with regarding the compression, cup and socks. I think the benefit outweighs the cost so they will be my new pants going forward. As I guessed in my off ice review I would DEFINITELY buy a V2 with tight compression, a cup, and velcro.

53 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Thanks for the feedback. True compression was not a goal of this. We wanted snug, but not compression tight. So hopefully you can find a recipe that works.

Yeah that makes sense. Fortunately I understood that part so I was prepared to combine bottoms. If it had the velcro I could at least do compression shorts under which would get true compression. Maybe I’ll sew some velcro on haha 

Got another skate in. Another busy night, but again I feel like I ran hot up top, will have to continue evaluating that. I tried the three layer lowers and actually did not have a problem there. I did have my knee pads slightly off this time though, wish the D3O was a bit more anchored, might just be that I would prefer non-removable, though I see the downsides to that.

31 minutes ago, acharmedmatrix said:

Got another skate in. Another busy night, but again I feel like I ran hot up top, will have to continue evaluating that. I tried the three layer lowers and actually did not have a problem there. I did have my knee pads slightly off this time though, wish the D3O was a bit more anchored, might just be that I would prefer non-removable, though I see the downsides to that.

D30 won't allow that. There is a concern that detergent, water, and heat will degrade the padding prematurely.

25 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

D30 won't allow that. There is a concern that detergent, water, and heat will degrade the padding prematurely.

Yeah the tag explained that well I think. And it's nice for customization (I removed clavicle, the bicep cover, etc) just musing.

Not sure where I went wrong last night knee wise. They were phenomenal the night before and I only air dried since I didn't have time for a full wash cycle so the pads didn't even get removed, just thrown in bag twice.

• 3 weeks later...

Having gotten a bunch more skates.

Pants I have only had the knee movement issue once, so I'm taking the blame on that night. The pants are definitely a winner for me at this point and I can reaffirm the conviction that if I didn't have to layer for cup, socks and compression I would definitely buy a future version. I've landed on the following: Normal Compression Shorts, Aegis Pants, Loose fitting Bauer jock for cup and sock velcro.

An interesting thing happened to me my last two games with the shirt. The rib pads are falling out of their pockets. The first game one of the pads actually found its way to the ice. A LOT of questions about the orange thing in the back of the net lol. The second game both pads fell out of the shirt but got trapped in my pants/chesty so they weren't on the ice but they also weren't on the ribs! Haven't had a chance to take a closer look at what might have gone wrong there. Maybe some velcro to seal the pocket?  

On 9/29/2023 at 12:16 PM, acharmedmatrix said:

An interesting thing happened to me my last two games with the shirt. The rib pads are falling out of their pockets. The first game one of the pads actually found its way to the ice. A LOT of questions about the orange thing in the back of the net lol. The second game both pads fell out of the shirt but got trapped in my pants/chesty so they weren't on the ice but they also weren't on the ribs! Haven't had a chance to take a closer look at what might have gone wrong there. Maybe some velcro to seal the pocket?  

Happened again tonight. Lost one during warm ups and the other during the first. Wondering if I stretched the pockets getting the pads in/out and now they are less secured. Definitely seems like they need a little velcro to seal the pocket like player jock’s have for the cup. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 12:14 AM, acharmedmatrix said:

Happened again tonight. Lost one during warm ups and the other during the first. Wondering if I stretched the pockets getting the pads in/out and now they are less secured. Definitely seems like they need a little velcro to seal the pocket like player jock’s have for the cup. 

I am sorry to hear that. I haven't experienced that, but I understand everyone is shaped differently, moves differently, etc.

If you are unhappy with the product to the point it's problematic, send me an email? Thegoalnet@thegoalnet.com

We can definitely take that suggestion into consideration for version 2.0

47 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

@TheGoalNet can you wash the pants with the padding in or do you have to take it out each time? I wash my garments after every time I skate

According to D3O, their padding is not supposed to washed. The concept is that you pop the pads out, throw in the washer / dryer, and then pop them back in right before you skate

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Hi all - anyone want to share some feedback, is this working well for everyone?

Worn mine for around 20 skates - overall pretty happy with them, they've become my go-to base layer due to breathability and the comfort of the D3O pads.

Only concern is that the stitching on the pants where you insert the pads is beginning to fray surprisingly quickly. I remove the pads for each wash and then insert them back in when the pants have dried fully, and I do wash after every skate / hang dry.

9 hours ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

Worn mine for around 20 skates - overall pretty happy with them, they've become my go-to base layer due to breathability and the comfort of the D3O pads.

Only concern is that the stitching on the pants where you insert the pads is beginning to fray surprisingly quickly. I remove the pads for each wash and then insert them back in when the pants have dried fully, and I do wash after every skate / hang dry.

Okay, sorry to hear that. I will share that feedback with the Aegis team.

If anything "breaks", please email Aegis. They have great customer service.

• 3 months later...

Hi All, Aegis "soft launched" this product. First time in this particular product category. They wanted to enter it conservatively. Good news? they've nearly sold out of the current units.

If anyone has been using them and wants to share some additional long term feedback, please let me know and respond below.

If you were thinking about getting one, now might be the time. Could be sold out / back-ordered for a bit.

• Like 1