Aegis Padded Base Layers

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

everyone plays different and don't mean to sound critical, always sensitive with these situation... but I have never been hit there and that's why I have always been surprised with padding there? So if you had a use case, like an RVH technique or something, very interested to learn

No offense taken. I tend to heavily use, probably overuse, the undersquare in my game when it comes to shortside situations with an out-option for the opposition. That includes pretty much every position: stance, RVH, the occasional VH, but I find the pucks will hit me there in transition after the carrier chooses the pass option and the recipient gets the one-timer off while I'm coming to meet them and I eat the puck on the inside on my now-opposite thigh (ex: carrier1 starts with puck to my left, passes to my right, player gets shot off against the grain as I move left-to-right). I've found myself using this undersquare since I'm smaller (5'8") to up my chances of "oh, I got hit" saves and for the sake of saving my hips with a little less sharp rotations in game (since that's become sort of an RSI for me, going to take me out for a few months).

Frankly, I'd love to do this sort of independent consulting you've managed to do for multiple companies. It seems like a lot of fun and super interesting.

On 8/29/2023 at 11:53 AM, acharmedmatrix said:

Is the bottom base layer compression? Definitely going to order the top, but compression pants (Bauer Core) have made a huge difference for my hip health and I don't want to lose that support.

yes, it's compression, but I would call it a medium compression? It hugs the body, but it's not crazy tight some of the UA products I have worn in the past that are basically a second skin. It's also not baggy or loose fitting.

On 8/29/2023 at 9:53 AM, acharmedmatrix said:

Is the bottom base layer compression? Definitely going to order the top, but compression pants (Bauer Core) have made a huge difference for my hip health and I don't want to lose that support.

I'm planning on wearing my EC3D compression shorts underneath it as I've been doing that with my regular Bauer compression pants without issue.

3 hours ago, beansbats said:

A quick question - Will Aegis be selling supplemental D30 pads?  For example, I'd like to have protection for both biceps.  Thank you.

D3O is super strict about how their product is sold. With that said, email their customer support, mention I suggested you email them, and maybe they can send you extra piece? It's a small family owned business, so maybe they can help out?

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 4:34 PM, keeperton said:

No offense taken. I tend to heavily use, probably overuse, the undersquare in my game when it comes to shortside situations with an out-option for the opposition. That includes pretty much every position: stance, RVH, the occasional VH, but I find the pucks will hit me there in transition after the carrier chooses the pass option and the recipient gets the one-timer off while I'm coming to meet them and I eat the puck on the inside on my now-opposite thigh (ex: carrier1 starts with puck to my left, passes to my right, player gets shot off against the grain as I move left-to-right). I've found myself using this undersquare since I'm smaller (5'8") to up my chances of "oh, I got hit" saves and for the sake of saving my hips with a little less sharp rotations in game (since that's become sort of an RSI for me, going to take me out for a few months).

I bought my kid a Vaughn (V9?) one recently and saw that there was a small inner thigh padding.

I remember I have gotten hit there once on a scramble and it hurt like a B.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, johncho said:

I bought my kid a Vaughn (V9?) one recently and saw that there was a small inner thigh padding.

Yes, I have seen them on the market. I personally hate excess things on the base layers. Trying to find balance between hit there more than 1 time every 3 years and closing gaps in equipment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yes, I have seen them on the market. I personally hate excess things on the base layers. Trying to find balance between hit there more than 1 time every 3 years and closing gaps in equipment.

Yeah I would find that bothersome and it's been one fluke occurrence in ever

Just now, johncho said:

Yeah I would find that bothersome and it's been one fluke occurrence in ever

I don't think anyone is wrong for wanting that? Design is heavily biased on what I like and I what I think the 80% of goalies need. Just sharing the background a questions pop up.

If lots of people ask for the same thing, it could be included in a future iteration.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, johncho said:

Those are the ones I use currently. The thigh padding isn't obtrusive and are mostly the reason I got those pants. I wish they had a little something in the thigh, but oh well. I'm currently waiting on a backorder of SLR3 pants, which has done a better job on the thigh protection than the SLR2 pants I have.

On 8/30/2023 at 4:59 PM, TheGoalNet said:

D3O is super strict about how their product is sold. With that said, email their customer support, mention I suggested you email them, and maybe they can send you extra piece? It's a small family owned business, so maybe they can help out?

D3O can also be purchased here if anybody wants a sheet.

https://gamebreaker.com/product-category/d3o-sheets/

• Like 1

Received my order today. I'll try to walk through the whole thing step by step with my thoughts

CleanShot2023-09-05at20_53_51.thumb.png.ee64c98f72c0a4b115f2bcb62d55e211.png

To start I was pleasantly surprised with the packaging and clear tags. I'm so used to this type of stuff just existing on a hanger with a useless tag, these actually have information about the product and using it.

CleanShot2023-09-05at20_55_11.thumb.png.d3241429ad2a7f7299b57c5d07cf62f3.png

I was a bit surprised to discover the shirt came without the padding in, but it comes in a nice little laundry bag. 

CleanShot2023-09-05at20_56_54.thumb.png.876fca32727495337db013fc4df7706b.png

Here's the shirt laid out with the padding on top. Sorry, looks like I forgot to take a pic with the pads in. The rib and bicep pads went in very easily. I struggled a little bit with the clavicle and sternum inserts as they are inside the shirt while the others are on the outside. I'm a bit concerned about me being lazy with removing and replacing these when I wash the shirt. I also just ordered a Kova neck guard which may make these completely redundant. 

Currently I wear an old Verbero shirt with just generic foam padding. Interestingly the Verbero has significantly more coverage while also being about 80g lighter. That being said when I wore the Aegis shirt the additional weight was not at all noticeable. This shirt does have a much better length than the Verbero both on the body and sleeves which is actually a big bonus because the Verbero would sometimes roll up from certain motions and it's a pain to fix once all the gear is on. 

CleanShot2023-09-05at20_59_46.thumb.png.6244b986834c3c7768483e796e3c3c3a.png

I threw on my chesty in the basement and tried to move around a bit, I did not notice any obstructions from the bicep pad which I was a bit worried about due to the width and I did not find the arm grips to be problematic at all as I saw some posters mention.

Overall it seems like a comfortable shirt with a good fit, the D3O foam (is that the right term?) is pretty cool. I am definitely going to try it my next time on the ice. Pants in the next post... 

• Like 3

CleanShot2023-09-05at21_06_12.thumb.png.65677c4588ff7bee125d98c81648dd81.png

Just like the shirt the pants come with the pads in a nice little bag. 

CleanShot2023-09-05at21_07_04.thumb.png.c4a70888674619956419124382fb4491.png

Knee pads laid out on top of the pants. They seem like a pretty good size for what they are doing. 

CleanShot2023-09-05at21_07_55.thumb.png.7957bfa8e5f44bef1646faebe630ee80.png

Pants with the pads in. The cut resistant material at the bottom is nice and grips to the ankles nicely so I don't think it will ride up. The pants do not have a cup or seemingly a cup pouch which I misunderstood. The "pouch" is more like that "ball park" boxers like Saxx have so if you are a double cupper (which I am) you will still need a solution for your inner cup. The pants have a tight fit, but definitely not compression pants if that is something you need. 

Of course the main attraction here is the knee situation. I threw on my knee guards (Ritual X Pros) and did some drops to the ground. The grips did a good job of helping to keep the pads in place, I would say a bit better than bare skin and significantly better than a non-grip base layer. Additionally even if the pads were to slip I think these pads would do a pretty good job of helping you through. I wouldn't trust them to save me if the pad was completely out of place, but they would definitely cover you for a bit of slippage. 

For me personally I think I will be wearing these as the base with my Bauer compression shorts over it which will give me the compression, the double cup, and velcro for my socks.

Overall pretty happy with the pants and definitely trying them on the ice. I think if there was a V2 with actual compression, a cup pouch, and sock velcro it would be a definite buy (assuming I like the on ice performance).

Unfortunately I am not going to be on the ice for nearly two weeks so it will be a bit before I get that detail on here. But hope this helps anyone who is on the fence.  

• Like 6