Reigning in the stink...

My dad (RIP) played hockey and did before he passed. His gear smells okay, but I am way too big for everything he had and what I can use is not legal.  Much of my gear is hand me down to see if I was going to stick with the position, so some of it has an odor. I repalmed my blocker and dry it on a boot dryer with my skates. I wash my helmet after a few ice times. But my catch glove stinks bad.  What do I do?

51 minutes ago, ethanallen said:

My dad (RIP) played hockey and did before he passed. His gear smells okay, but I am way too big for everything he had and what I can use is not legal.  Much of my gear is hand me down to see if I was going to stick with the position, so some of it has an odor. I repalmed my blocker and dry it on a boot dryer with my skates. I wash my helmet after a few ice times. But my catch glove stinks bad.  What do I do?

Air it out as much as you can between playing, you can try one of those deodorizing sprays (I liked captodor when I used it, but it's spendy), or wash it every once in awhile. Some people like doing an Oxiclean bath, or other such things. I typically just take it in the shower with me with a little detergent and a soft bristle toothbrush to really get in there. Not always smelling great, but not putrid either.

• Like 1

Make goalie soup.  Hot water bath with laundry detergent.  Scrub inside and out till the water turns nasty.  Drain and repeat with just warm to hot water as many times as needed until the water no longer changes color.  Air dry with fans for 1 to 3 days.  Do this at least every 6 months with all gear and it'll never stink.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Make goalie soup.  Hot water bath with laundry detergent.  Scrub inside and out till the water turns nasty.  Drain and repeat with just warm to hot water as many times as needed until the water no longer changes color.  Air dry with fans for 1 to 3 days.  Do this at least every 6 months with all gear and it'll never stink.

To add to this, I throw in a scoop of Oxi Clean (the odor+stain variety).  Also, you can make an oxi clean paste (just put some in a cup, add a little water and mix until you get a paste consistency) and scrub inside the glove with a toothbrush while you're soaking everything.  Rinse, drain, and repeat until the water isn't murky.  

• Thanks 1

The above posts seem solid in order to give this glove a proper cleaning. 

As far as game-to-game management, I always dry out my gloves with a boot dryer after every skate, along with spraying it with Captodor spray, along with the rest of my gear. It does the trick, and no funky smell (my fiance even agrees!) and I've been doing this for years. 

• Like 3

Cleaning the glove has been interesting. The water was dark the second the glove entered the soapy water. My uncle prepped another bucket of cleaning solution while we let my glove soak for ten minutes. There was a lot of grey attaching itself to the white bits that floated to the surface of the water. So, the second water and cleaning solution was much clearer than the first tub. I rinsed the glove for ten minutes until the water ran clear. I hate to think of how much dead skin went into the drain. I took a sniff of my glove and it smelled great after this process. It is now stuffed with old newspapers and under a large fan. I have changed newspapers several times before just using a fan by itself. I bought Lexol leather treatment for the glove as it is 100% leather. I hope to leave this as supple as it was before cleaning the stink. It sure smells better than it did. 

• Like 1

My glove and blocker stunk after games. So my hands would smell like, well u Guys know  I would clean m 2times a season and they would still smell. I found the Gear Halo pods. I put the in my mitts after every game.  I found my savour in these pods. My hands don’t smell and both mitts are smell free. I actually smell good at the end of the game.                 You could use m in skates also.  
Gear Halo Pods have lasted me 3 seasons and still going. 

When I received my new Brown catcher and blocker recently, they included a note with a tip on how to keep them smell-free.  Basically, it involves running a lot of water through the gloves after each use.  I just use my utility sink, and run hot water through each glove for about a minute, dumping it a few times, though most seems to run right through.  Then I put them on top of a fan so they'll dry quickly.  They are still pretty new (6 weeks of use), but not a whiff of smell so far.  

• Thanks 1