Bauer GSX... impressive

ethanallen

I tried a buddy's pair of Bauer GSX and they were impressive. They were short on me, but I liked them a lot. Flexible, yet had some crazy rebounds compared to my TronX pads. Now here comes the hard part for me, they only come in a very few colors. What upper end Bauer pad is close to the GSX? I hear Bauer are stiff pads, so should I get the GSX and use a padskinz material? 

2 hours ago, ethanallen said:

These were black with white sock stripes.

So those will be the first generation of the GSX. The 2nd generation, these ones: 

Capture.JPG.82f8bf76d466f459b87d19dcdfe04248.JPG

Will have a few extra features that will be nicer. Such as the Stabiliflex knee block. 

@johncho is right when he says they're a mix match of the two lines. But that's more for the whole set. The leg pads follow far closer to the Vapour(hyperlite) side of Bauer's line instead of the Supreme(Mach) side. The GSX catcher and blocker borrows the Supreme style.

Saying that, these pads do differ from their older brothers and are more forgiving in a lot of classic design aspects (like having torsional flex) to allow goalies who are new, young, or tempted by Bauer's reputation, to get their feet wet and see what Bauer is about. 

I'd recommend watching this review on the GSX (2) line from Dudo, he does a decent job at going over the details of the set: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGXbAe53O_I

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ethanallen said:

Dudo mentioned X5. I did some research and it's the lower end Vapor that is custom. Anyone play in those? Price is great and they allow custom colors.

The GSX's are the entry level pad, the X5's are the senior level Vapour pad. The Hyperlite 2's are the Pro pad. 

It'll have a lot of build similarities to the Hyperlite 2 except no calf bracket and a jenpro face instead of the coretech skin. 

X5 will be a stiffer pad than the GSX. But that's mostly in the field of torsional flex. It'll still have good thigh and boot flex compared to the M5, Ultrasonic, and Mach, 

• Thanks 1

My Grandpa and Uncle have told me they will match what I have saved up for new pads if I get two more wins as they really thought I was going to ride the pine. My Grandpa was more impressed than anything because he says I'm a natural in goal. Grandpa likes the hybrid way I play. Between my Mom, Grandparents and Uncle, I will have a new set!

• Like 1

Just got back from a Stick and Puck using the X5 and I freaking love them! They are stiffer than the GSX, but I can get them in a variety of colors and don't have to padskin them, either! I can live with the extra stiffness, especially if the pads last longer. The GSX I tried were very soft, but were used an entire season like what I will be doing.  I liked the blocker, as well! I used my dad's cheater glove and I caught everything! Shame I can't use that LOL Nobody recommended the X5 glove, however but I can get a Hyperlite glove fashioned like the old Reactor. I guess my dream gear changed a bit and True is out of the mix unless I just buy the glove. My Uncle will not allow me to get a Senior glove because of how screwed up his hand became as a result of the lack of padding. Somewhat related question: how close to my leather Battram glove is a Hyperlite closure? 

Edited by ethanallen