Dealing with bulk

pfeiffjay54

Hey guys, I’m 5’10 155 and I just got a senior small Bauer Pro chest. I’m loving everything about it except the bulkiness. I’m coming out of an intermediate ve8 that was tiny on me so I expected to feel  bulky, but I’m maybe 3-4 skates in and this just feels so awkward on me. Is this something I’ll get used to? I haven’t had a new chest since I got my ve8 in maybe 2020 so I don’t really know what the adjustment period is. Thanks.

1 hour ago, pfeiffjay54 said:

Hey guys, I’m 5’10 155 and I just got a senior small Bauer Pro chest. I’m loving everything about it except the bulkiness. I’m coming out of an intermediate ve8 that was tiny on me so I expected to feel  bulky, but I’m maybe 3-4 skates in and this just feels so awkward on me. Is this something I’ll get used to? I haven’t had a new chest since I got my ve8 in maybe 2020 so I don’t really know what the adjustment period is. Thanks.

It sounds to me like you have the right size and yes, you will absolutely get used to it.  I think with any new gear, for me anyway, it takes about 2 weeks or 4-9 skates for me to stop thinking about it or notice it.  You are aware of it simply because it's new and different.  So much of our relationship to gear is feel.  It feels different, so , you need enough time in it for it to feel normal or "not there."

Is there an area in particular where it feels bulky?  Chest, neck, shoulders, arms?  Have you played around with different strapping setups to make sure you are optimizing the fit?  I'm not familiar with this particular chestie but I'm certain there is a fair amount of customization that is possible with the strapping, as is the case on any modern unit.  

7 hours ago, seagoal said:

It sounds to me like you have the right size and yes, you will absolutely get used to it.  I think with any new gear, for me anyway, it takes about 2 weeks or 4-9 skates for me to stop thinking about it or notice it.  You are aware of it simply because it's new and different.  So much of our relationship to gear is feel.  It feels different, so , you need enough time in it for it to feel normal or "not there."

4+ skates is definitely where a new C/A even starts to feel comfortable. I've changed through a few C/A's over the past two years, and it definitely holds true. 

Doesn't help that @pfeiffjay54 is going from an INT version of the most mobile C/A to an adult, pro level C/A. The stiffness will be quite noticeable. 

Long story short, keep messing with it and sweating in it. You'll get used to it and it'll get used to you. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RichMan said:

If it's a Bauer Pro which is the NXG which is also the 1S/2S, for me it's the shoulders that stick out quite a bit, like football shoulder pads. I notice them quite a bit but they become less as the game goes on.

The NXG styled arms on the Supreme line (so pre-Ultrasonic arms) are also a pretty stiff styled arm.

Super protective, but even with the elbows on their loosest setting, they were not Vaughn/Vapour styled arm.  

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The NXG styled arms on the Supreme line (so pre-Ultrasonic arms) are also a pretty stiff styled arm.

Super protective, but even with the elbows on their loosest setting, they were not Vaughn/Vapour styled arm.  

They are a tad but I've tried worse

17 hours ago, pfeiffjay54 said:

I've found steaming C/As in the shower helps simulate usage (heat and moisture). Should help some of the foam settle a bit.

Keep your C/A in the bathroom with you, use skate lace to tie the arms flexed.

Try to hang the C/A somewhere up high so the steam rises to it.  Let your shower run hot for a couple mins before you go in.

You'll get better results in a smaller bathroom.