Bauer 1x chest protector reviews ???

Snowman30

Hi am looking for some feedback on the 1x pro chest protector, haven't been able to really find much out there. My Brown 2300 is going in for a refurb after 7 years and am looking for replacement while it's gone.  I was also eyeing a pro pack Passau and a pro return Gnetik/sub3 mix and I have found alot on them. Thanks

I am looking at picking up a used one as they seem to be going in the $200 to $300 cnd range, so am kind of hoping they are already broken in. I remember trying one on in store when they first came out and am going to go back again and try one on before I go on Kijiji or sideline pay for one. The protection is the one thing am looking at coming from using a Brown for so long. I almost had a brand new pro pack Passau for $400 but the guy just sold it today. I found a couple of pro return 1s chest protectors but they seem to want almost new prices for them on sideline.

The one I have was a pro return unit so that may have made it so stiff to me. I know I compared it to a retail one and the shoulder floaters were a good bit thicker. It also didn’t help it was a size too big. I can say I didn’t feel anything for the skate that I did use it for though. 

11 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

I am looking at picking up a used one as they seem to be going in the $200 to $300 cnd range, so am kind of hoping they are already broken in. I remember trying one on in store when they first came out and am going to go back again and try one on before I go on Kijiji or sideline pay for one. The protection is the one thing am looking at coming from using a Brown for so long. I almost had a brand new pro pack Passau for $400 but the guy just sold it today. I found a couple of pro return 1s chest protectors but they seem to want almost new prices for them on sideline.

What size you need? 

17 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

Hi am looking for some feedback on the 1x pro chest protector, haven't been able to really find much out there. My Brown 2300 is going in for a refurb after 7 years and am looking for replacement while it's gone.  I was also eyeing a pro pack Passau and a pro return Gnetik/sub3 mix and I have found alot on them. Thanks

I always meant to do a review on mine but just never seem to get around to it.  But I had one and used it for a few months before switching to a Pro Pack. 

Here's what I liked: Its pretty light, like under 6 lbs light.  The arms are on the short side, a negative for some but for me, I could get a Large and not have to shorten the arms.  It is very protective, never felt a shot to the body or arms.  Coverage is good and very square at the shoulders with the floaters sitting flush so head movement was not an issue.  Due to the way it fits, the weight and the 37.5 technology, it stays very cool and dry.

Now for the cons:  Very stiff and likely to stay that way, therefore mobility is an issue no matter how much you try and break it in.  The arms did not move well and are very tight.  I'm not Hulk Hogan by any means, but my arms are on the larger side and I struggled to get in it and sometimes needed help getting out of it.  If you like a chesty to hug your body, this one won't do that, its so stiff it just kind of hangs off you...its really just an OD1N leg pad that you strap to your torso and yes it gives off some juicy rebounds...lol.  

Overall:  The stiffness was an issue for me and I had to fight it to hold my glove up during long possessions in the zone.  I had some ideas on how to loosen the arms but really didn't want to mess with modding it at the time.  I am currently looking for another one to mess with as I did like it a lot minus the very restrictive arms. 

I love the pro pack, it is everything you hear about them...very protective, mobile and lots of adjustability.  My only complaint with the Pro Pack is that it is a little soft in the shoulder area.  Not protection wise, but just the way it absorbs shots.  Pucks that hit me high up tend to die and either land next me or wobble behind me.  I've never had that happen with any other chesty before.  It could be that mine is just old and very broken in, but I'd like a little more structure in the shoulders to get more deflection for high shots.  If your a a JB kinda guy, I think the Pro Pack will be perfect for you.

6 hours ago, cwarnar said:

What size you need? 

XL/XXL am border line with the Passau sizing chart. My 2300 has large arms and XXL torso. When I did the Passau measurements I came up with XL arms and am in between xl/xxl torso.

3 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

I always meant to do a review on mine but just never seem to get around to it.  But I had one and used it for a few months before switching to a Pro Pack. 

Here's what I liked: Its pretty light, like under 6 lbs light.  The arms are on the short side, a negative for some but for me, I could get a Large and not have to shorten the arms.  It is very protective, never felt a shot to the body or arms.  Coverage is good and very square at the shoulders with the floaters sitting flush so head movement was not an issue.  Due to the way it fits, the weight and the 37.5 technology, it stays very cool and dry.

Now for the cons:  Very stiff and likely to stay that way, therefore mobility is an issue no matter how much you try and break it in.  The arms did not move well and are very tight.  I'm not Hulk Hogan by any means, but my arms are on the larger side and I struggled to get in it and sometimes needed help getting out of it.  If you like a chesty to hug your body, this one won't do that, its so stiff it just kind of hangs off you...its really just an OD1N leg pad that you strap to your torso and yes it gives off some juicy rebounds...lol.  

Overall:  The stiffness was an issue for me and I had to fight it to hold my glove up during long possessions in the zone.  I had some ideas on how to loosen the arms but really didn't want to mess with modding it at the time.  I am currently looking for another one to mess with as I did like it a lot minus the very restrictive arms. 

I love the pro pack, it is everything you hear about them...very protective, mobile and lots of adjustability.  My only complaint with the Pro Pack is that it is a little soft in the shoulder area.  Not protection wise, but just the way it absorbs shots.  Pucks that hit me high up tend to die and either land next me or wobble behind me.  I've never had that happen with any other chesty before.  It could be that mine is just old and very broken in, but I'd like a little more structure in the shoulders to get more deflection for high shots.  If your a a JB kinda guy, I think the Pro Pack will be perfect for you.

Thanks for the info, the 1x has been unit it was hard to find people that Have used it. I found a used one that has a year of use on it, along with a fairly new Pro pack unit. I might be able to get the 1x for a half decent price. The pro pack has been for sale for a month, month and half and am not too sure how much they guy will go for it. Am going to send him a offer and see what goes from there. 

Archived