What solution do you use for spraying gear?

OldSchoolGoalie

I'm looking to see what solutions fellow goalies are using to spray their gear with post game. I used Captodor in the past but eventually just bought Vinegar and Water then made a 50/50 mix which seems to do alright. Also the cost for making two big jugs like $6-$8! As opposed to one jug of Captodor for $60! https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/captodor-sports-hockey-equipment-odour-destroyer-spray-3-8-l-0830329p.0830329.html 

Would it be a good idea to mix in isopropyl alcohol as well? If so, what ratio would I use for all three and what percentage of alcohol?

Also I ended up picking this up for $5 at a dollar store to replace my manual spray bottle I modified with weights so it would work upside down too: https://www.amazon.com/Scotts-190518-Battery-Powered-Handheld/dp/B07JYFFZ2F pretty happy with this! Sprays upside down as well and works great. Best $5 I spent in awhile! Been using it several times a week for two months now.

image.png.f6fb3fb18268672cfc6ede2fafcc75ca.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Only Sweat-X Odor Eliminator for me.  Night and day difference when I gave different product a try.  No idea what voodoo they craft it out of, but it has proven very effective for me.  Worth whatever its cost is IMO.

All you need is diluted white vinegar. $3.00 for a big jug at your grocery store. $5 for a spray bottle. Everything else is just overpriced and unnecessary. But the most effective way to prevent odors is quick drying. Lots of ventilation, don't leave it in the bag. Grab a $50 wire rack from Target or wherever and a $10 box fan. I'm to the point I don't even need a spray anymore.

Edited by goalieThreeOne

19 hours ago, OldSchoolGoalie said:

I've seen maybe one other goalie in my time spray their gear as they took it off. Now that makes two! 

I used to do it at home, but now (1-2 months) tried it in locker room and looks like works better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mik said:

I used to do it at home, but now (1-2 months) tried it in locker room and looks like works better. 

I could just imagine if I sprayed my water/vinegar solution in the locker room! I would be chased out due to the strong smell. My wife already complains enough about the vinegar smell in the house. 🤣 But better than the stinky goalie smells!

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2024 at 8:07 PM, goalieThreeOne said:

All you need is diluted white vinegar. $3.00 for a big jug at your grocery store. $5 for a spray bottle. Everything else is just overpriced and unnecessary. But the most effective way to prevent odors is quick drying. Lots of ventilation, don't leave it in the bag. Grab a $50 wire rack from Target or wherever and a $10 box fan. I'm to the point I don't even need a spray anymore.

I agree with the rack and fan solutions being most effective, but adding some Scenturion in my gloves and skates has ensured that they stay funk free for life.   

18 hours ago, RockyMountainTendy said:

after some others recommendations I use a 60% 40% mix of iso and water as well as making sure i put it on my drying rack and have two 20 inch fans blasting on it so it get dry fast, my gear has yet to smell though i will say i dont sweat as much as most people

Thats a pretty solid solution, would be pretty anti-microbial, helps break up proteins/oils from sweat and makes the water dry a bit faster.

On 3/14/2024 at 4:23 PM, RockyMountainTendy said:

after some others recommendations I use a 60% 40% mix of iso and water as well as making sure i put it on my drying rack and have two 20 inch fans blasting on it so it get dry fast, my gear has yet to smell though i will say i dont sweat as much as most people

I've always wanted to try and mix my own solution to save some $$$.

And yes, drying is of course so key. When I move soon I will get my own gear 'closet', so I am already thinking of ways I can configire this space. I was thinking more fans. 

We should revive the gear storage thread that I beleive we had in these forums.

Edited by creasecollector

• 2 weeks later...