Physiotherapist or Sports Therapist?

Lucky Pucker

*not sure if the terminology changes at the various borders; apologies if you hail from a land that calls these professionals by other names

So Father's Day (happy belated to other fathers!) made 5 weeks since my MCL injury. I started seeing a phyisotherapist the day after, and twice a week since then.

While I am better than I was in those first few days, I am massively frustrated that I am nowhere near being able to strap on the pads again (my own assessment). I mean, I told my wife that if those 2 months of living my dream to try goalie are all I get, I'd be happy... but that's bullshit. I so desperately want to play again! I'd love the chance to play badly again, because playing badly is WAY better than to badly miss playing.

My wife was at her treatment place recently, where they have both a physiotherapist and a sports therapist working together. My wife was particularly impressed with the sports therapist, as she correctly identified that my wife had done varsity rowing, and she traced a current issue with her hip to an imbalance of her opposite shoulder. To boot, the excellent physiotherapist there had worked at the chain of phyisos I have been going to, and she was vehemently opposed to that chain's approach/business model (15 mins with an actual physio, then assistants fill the rest of the hour with hot compress and machines). Short of saying "tell your husband to stop going there," she stressed that there are better options.

Anyway, I've scheduled a new consult at a different place, but my wife thinks I should see a sports therapist as well. I was wondering what your experiences have been, and if there are strong pros or cons to either. I know what the internet says the differences are; I'm looking for experience-based feedback from this community of goalies.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey LP,

While not a direct response or feedback regarding physio/sports therapy, I thought this might help.

I'm not sure the diagnosis or extent of your injuries.  I have been lucky (knock on wood) to not have had to go under the knife, but have had lingering hip issues since maybe 2006.
Main complaint is that when I get set for a shot, the fronts of my hips would pinch and cause some pain.  It would get really bad if I stretched my legs out to the sides or front and back.

I started seeing a chiropractor recently who specializes in ART (Active Release Technique) therapy. 
I'm pretty lucky, as this guy has had experience working with hockey players while they were with Anaheim (Saku Koivu, Jonas Hiller)
Essentially they target a couple key points and dig in with pressure while moving the surrounding joints around to break up scar tissue.
It hurts!  Depending on what we work on that day, I'd say it ranges between "strong discomfort" to "almost tear inducing," but my symptoms have subsided dramatically, and my range of motion has increased probably 20% in the 6 sessions that I've put in so far. 

Side effect, my butterfly flare has gone from something like this:

image.png.0b3fd07eb834eccecf93a00933d48b41.png

to a little better than this:

image.png.2e578235f775a0095100a748793e6f2b.png

Good luck, and if you have any questions I'm here to help.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:19 AM, Lucky Pucker said:

*not sure if the terminology changes at the various borders; apologies if you hail from a land that calls these professionals by other names

So Father's Day (happy belated to other fathers!) made 5 weeks since my MCL injury. I started seeing a phyisotherapist the day after, and twice a week since then.

While I am better than I was in those first few days, I am massively frustrated that I am nowhere near being able to strap on the pads again (my own assessment). I mean, I told my wife that if those 2 months of living my dream to try goalie are all I get, I'd be happy... but that's bullshit. I so desperately want to play again! I'd love the chance to play badly again, because playing badly is WAY better than to badly miss playing.

My wife was at her treatment place recently, where they have both a physiotherapist and a sports therapist working together. My wife was particularly impressed with the sports therapist, as she correctly identified that my wife had done varsity rowing, and she traced a current issue with her hip to an imbalance of her opposite shoulder. To boot, the excellent physiotherapist there had worked at the chain of phyisos I have been going to, and she was vehemently opposed to that chain's approach/business model (15 mins with an actual physio, then assistants fill the rest of the hour with hot compress and machines). Short of saying "tell your husband to stop going there," she stressed that there are better options.

Anyway, I've scheduled a new consult at a different place, but my wife thinks I should see a sports therapist as well. I was wondering what your experiences have been, and if there are strong pros or cons to either. I know what the internet says the differences are; I'm looking for experience-based feedback from this community of goalies.

Cheers!

Sounds like you should go to the place your wife goes to and see what they can do for you.

Shit dudes - sorry I’ve been delinquent on this thread that I started! I mean, @coopaloop1234 suggested that I had an old man injury to nurse, but I couldn’t remember what it was...

Anyway, the TLDR version is the new place has blown me away! I have been treated like a pro, and a person, all at once! Hope and confidence restored, and a guarantee that I will be able to play in the pick up league starting September!

@Chenner29: appreciate the account of your experience! Read it a couple of times, and found it really positive, and uplifting! Cheers for the thoughts man! I actually had my new, AMAZING physio make me cry digging out some little batstad muscle in the back of my knee last week, and walked out feeling better than when I walked in!

@SaveByRichter35: appreciate that, brother, and that was the next step if this other place didn’t work out. Logistically, it wasn’t ideal, but what price for effective treatment, right? I’m in great hands now though - as is my wife at her place.

Bottom line: if you are being treated and are not happy, seek out better alternatives!

Archived