Sticks Similar to Carey Price foam core...

HP29

I've been using the CCM Pro Stock Price sticks for some time now, but I badly need some fresh ones, AND our upcoming uniforms won't match mine anymore. (Which is a bummer as I love these!)

Things I like about this stick:

• blade curve 
  • paddle height options (I can get a 24" or 25", I'm short @ 5'10")
  • sloped shoulders on the paddle
  • round toe (less of a necessity, though)

Unfortunately, with CCM I can no longer seem to find a permutation of paddle height, colour, or curve that really works for for me. There's always at least one factor that's off.

As my team moves forward with atypical sweater colours, I'm looking to get a hold of a more neutral looking stick now, and CCM's competitors seem to have some options out there.

So, now the ask:

• What the heck curve is Price using? It's a heel curve to my eye, but how aggressive is that? Which pattern would be most similar from another brand?
  • Could I shave down the paddle, without ruining the stick? I tried it years ago with a Kipper spec Montreal, and found that the foam was exposed and started to chip away. I'm sure there's a way to mitigate that...
  • OR is there a fairly comparable stick that would be a reasonable transition?

Any and all input is much appreciated.

Thanks, folks!

ccm_2013_price_goal_stick_large.jpg

12 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Get some sticks from Passau. They will clone any curve you want (you just send them a sample). Can have any paddle and shaft length as well as custom shaped paddle too. 

At that price point and with their minimums... that's actually a really attractive option

24 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Get some sticks from Passau. They will clone any curve you want (you just send them a sample). Can have any paddle and shaft length as well as custom shaped paddle too. 

This.

And if you don’t have the time for a custom Passau stick, you can shave your paddle at home if you want, it doesn’t ruin the balance of the stick, just don’t cut into the shaft at all when you’re doing it

1 hour ago, HP29 said:

At that price point and with their minimums... that's actually a really attractive option

Very much so. Being able to buy 3-packs is REALLY attractive.

1 hour ago, southpawtendy48 said:

This.

And if you don’t have the time for a custom Passau stick, you can shave your paddle at home if you want, it doesn’t ruin the balance of the stick, just don’t cut into the shaft at all when you’re doing it

Definitely. I cut the paddles on all my Warrior sticks. I use a 26" Warrior normally but now that I'm cutting paddles down with a custom grip I buy the 27.5" instead 

Just now, IPv6Freely said:

Very much so. Being able to buy 3-packs is REALLY attractive.

Definitely. I cut the paddles on all my Warrior sticks. I use a 26" Warrior normally but now that I'm cutting paddles down with a custom grip I buy the 27.5" instead 

For sure, @HP29, if you were ever to shave your sticks at home always go an inch up than what you’re used to

2 hours ago, HP29 said:

I've been using the CCM Pro Stock Price sticks for some time now, but I badly need some fresh ones, AND our upcoming uniforms won't match mine anymore. (Which is a bummer as I love these!)

Things I like about this stick:

• blade curve 
  • paddle height options (I can get a 24" or 25", I'm short @ 5'10")
  • sloped shoulders on the paddle
  • round toe (less of a necessity, though)

Unfortunately, with CCM I can no longer seem to find a permutation of paddle height, colour, or curve that really works for for me. There's always at least one factor that's off.

As my team moves forward with atypical sweater colours, I'm looking to get a hold of a more neutral looking stick now, and CCM's competitors seem to have some options out there.

So, now the ask:

• What the heck curve is Price using? It's a heel curve to my eye, but how aggressive is that? Which pattern would be most similar from another brand?
  • Could I shave down the paddle, without ruining the stick? I tried it years ago with a Kipper spec Montreal, and found that the foam was exposed and started to chip away. I'm sure there's a way to mitigate that...
  • OR is there a fairly comparable stick that would be a reasonable transition?

Any and all input is much appreciated.

Thanks, folks!

ccm_2013_price_goal_stick_large.jpg

Reach out to Rob Laurie at Northstar Sticks.

Same factory as Passau, but the carbon blade upgrade makes a significant difference when playing the puck.

http://www.northstarsticks.com/

Full custom promo right now for a 6 pack, essentially comes to $80 each.

http://www.northstarsticks.com/shop/g1-shooter-custom-6-pack-goalie-stick/

Their 25" is actually a quarter to half inch shorter than a CCM 25", so that may work for you.

The Price curve is a heel curve, similar to a Warrior Mrazek.
If you want to shave your paddle, coat it with something (epoxy?) after you're done.  This will help seal the stick and help with chipping

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Same factory as Passau, but the carbon blade upgrade makes a significant difference when playing the puck.

Their 25" is actually a quarter to half inch shorter than a CCM 25", so that may work for you.

If you want to shave your paddle, coat it with something (epoxy?) after you're done.  This will help seal the stick and help with chipping

Do they do 3-packs? Because I'm not buying a 6-pack.

I actually didn't put anything on my paddle. Just the same tape job as normal. 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Do they do 3-packs? Because I'm not buying a 6-pack.

I actually didn't put anything on my paddle. Just the same tape job as normal.  

I was responding to HP29

They do a 3 pack custom option, but the specs are pretty limited

I found the Northstar pricing to be more competitive, especially when considering you get a carbon fiber reinforced blade

Hit up Rob, he might be able to work out a custom 3 pack option for you

I've got some Northstars in my garage, you're welcome to check it out if you want

14 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I was responding to HP29

They do a 3 pack custom option, but the specs are pretty limited

I found the Northstar pricing to be more competitive, especially when considering you get a carbon fiber reinforced blade

Hit up Rob, he might be able to work out a custom 3 pack option for you

I've got some Northstars in my garage, you're welcome to check it out if you want

I know who you were responding to :) 

22 hours ago, goalie said:

Good find! Thanks for passing along, that might be a quick, easy option.

22 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

This.

To be more specific, as far as shaving the paddle down, I meant reshaping to give it a slightly steeper slope. Would I still need an entire extra inch to achieve this, or use the same paddle height that I'm used to?

20 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Oh nice, definitely cool to have another option here. Good call on the Mrazek - in comparing, I can see they're almost identical and the round toe is intact also.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate all the input here!

Archived