Adding Leather Straps to Vapor pads

Max27

A little background info on me, for whatever reason?.

I am a late bloomer playing hockey to say the least. I began in the beginning of 8th grade but ive worked hard to keep up with other people in my age group who began when they were younger. For my next leg pads i am going to purchase the bauer 1x pads, or the x900s, depending on my situation financially. I will get them around the time the 2x comes out so that they drastically drop in price. they will replace my eflex 2 760 pads, which are entry level, and 1x is pro level and the x900s are senior pro, so it will be a big switch, but nonetheless exciting. I will still end up using the eflex pads for a dek hockey team that I sub as goalie for because that is meant as a league for practice, but as I enter my Sophmore year of high school, and I look to try out for my local team, Ive had the eflex pads since last December and I find theyre a little too soft, and I dont get a good seal on the ice with them, so I want to get a stiffer pad that can maintain shape but still have a relatively good flex amount. I find when I strap my pads that my leather straps really dont do much as Ive always kept them kinda loose, but I never played with an all elastic setup as the Vapors have, so I want to add a leather strap just for tradition. It feels weird to not have at least 1 leather strap. Is it possible with retail vapor pads to add a leather strap on them? I dont mean a leather boot strap, I dont use a boot strap now anyways.

Thanks!

Just now, creasecollector said:

I had 1 leather calf strap added to both my pads not too long ago. Not sure where you're located, but I went to Toronto Hockey Repair and they were able to install the new straps & buckles for me no problem.

yeah going to Toronto would be a bit of  a hike for me, im in NY lmao

do you know how they did it?

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Honestly, just try the velcro only. Making the switch for me was immediate and I haven't thought twice about it.

Went from some V4's with 4 leather straps and 2 nylon straps to my RGT set. New age strapping > straps.

yeah I think the velcro is great. I just think its traditional to at least have 1 leather strap lol

1 minute ago, Max27 said:

yeah I think the velcro is great. I just think its traditional to at least have 1 leather strap lol

I like velcro as well, but I'm also a "traditional" goalie I guess now because I do like having leather straps. Plus replacing the velcro is it dies is annoying. Leather straps I find are more durable.

And they unstiched the pad where they needed to install the strap, stuffed the leather strap inside the pad to anchor it in there, stitched it up and ran it across to a newly installed buckle on the outer calf. Easy job, but I wouldn't have the courage to do it myself on my own pads. Happy to pad someone to do it for me. 

Just now, creasecollector said:

I like velcro as well, but I'm also a "traditional" goalie I guess now because I do like having leather straps. Plus replacing the velcro is it dies is annoying. Leather straps I find are more durable.

And they unstiched the pad where they needed to install the strap, stuffed the leather strap inside the pad to anchor it in there, stitched it up and ran it across to a newly installed buckle on the outer calf. Easy job, but I wouldn't have the courage to do it myself on my own pads. Happy to pad someone to do it for me. 

yeah i havent had to replace the velcro on my ccm pads but ive had to replace those nylon buckle kinda straps before and it was a pain in the ass to replace it so i cut it out.

these are the buckles i mean

46dbbbc33e1e1f7f4e1225095fa5fbe9--ryan-miller-nhl-season.jpg

Just now, Max27 said:

yeah i havent had to replace the velcro on my ccm pads but ive had to replace those nylon buckle kinda straps before and it was a pain in the ass to replace it so i cut it out.

these are the buckles i mean

46dbbbc33e1e1f7f4e1225095fa5fbe9--ryan-miller-nhl-season.jpg

Yeah, those look like they would be a pain to replace. I had 1 or 2 buckles like that on a old pair of Vaughn pads.

1 minute ago, creasecollector said:

Yeah, those look like they would be a pain to replace. I had 1 or 2 buckles like that on a old pair of Vaughn pads.

they are so annoying lol and they were like loose af and didnt do anything so i took it out

My new Supreme pads have what looks like slots in the pads to insert leather straps. I'll find pictures...

Related image

See on the inside part of the inner leg there are the black reinforcement tabs? You can see the slot on the outside too:

Image result for bauer s170 pads

There are similar tabs on the outside of the leg too - or buckle side.

Archived