1 piece true skate steel

Jonathon v

Is there anywhere I could get more of this steel without having to buy it with the true skates for an extra 140 dollars per set of steel? Also I have heard they don’t get sharpened like normal steel is this true too? Also if I say sharpen my skates at  half an inch once every week or two how long do you think the blades will last

20 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I don’t own the skates, so I can’t personally answer this.

however, when it comes to steel, the best place to start is usually Tyden and Step. They probably have steel available for you. 

I’ll  check it out thanks 

1 hour ago, Jonathon v said:

Is there anywhere I could get more of this steel without having to buy it with the true skates for an extra 140 dollars per set of steel? Also I have heard they don’t get sharpened like normal steel is this true too? Also if I say sharpen my skates at  half an inch once every week or two how long do you think the blades will last

They’re made by Step so you can find elsewhere besides True, but I doubt they’ll be much cheaper (if at all).

Not sure but interested to know myself. Any pro shop or equipment managers out there??

14 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

So that will work with the  1 piece skates for sure?

They also have the regular steel; I found the black. The process Step uses to polish the steel AND the coating itself will help you get more from each sharpening. I sharpen every time I go, but that is because I am that persnickety about my shallow edge and I have a Sparx. My main sharpening customer gets three to five times per week and goes every two weeks!

Screen shot from that page:

D7E9D577-2B5B-4CFC-BC31-09B28B9E45B1.jpeg

I get a blank page when I try and edit.

@Jonathon v to clarify- I used to sharpen my main sharpening customer’s skates every week when he had regular Bauer steel; now that he has Step black, he goes every two to three weeks and he gets an average of three ice times per week if not five. Step’s process to coat the steel hardens the edges a fair bit, giving you a longer-wearing edge. I am still not a Step dealer (yet), I can testify from my own experience on this. So you can get regular or black for those One Piece; from what your habits are, I’d get black.

51 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I get a blank page when I try and edit.

@Jonathon v to clarify- I used to sharpen my main sharpening customer’s skates every week when he had regular Bauer steel; now that he has Step black, he goes every two to three weeks and he gets an average of three ice times per week if not five. Step’s process to coat the steel hardens the edges a fair bit, giving you a longer-wearing edge. I am still not a Step dealer (yet), I can testify from my own experience on this. So you can get regular or black for those One Piece; from what your habits are, I’d get black.

The link you send me does not have any black steel options maybe I am stupid and it’s another link? Also because you seem to know a lot about true could I dm you some questions I have about the 1 piece skates

13 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

The link you send me does not have any black steel options maybe I am stupid and it’s another link? Also because you seem to know a lot about true could I dm you some questions I have about the 1 piece skates

It is a listing for Blacksteel. 

I own the two piece True skate. I don’t know lots about the One Piece True *yet*, but may be getting a set for my own purposes, as I endeavour to install a set of Overdrive blades on a pair, being an Overdrive dealer and installer. I would also like to become a True skate dealer, as I believe they make a great skate with fantastic options.

I do know a fair bit about Step Steel, as I will eventually become a dealership to supplement my skate sharpening business. Eventually, I will supplant my Sparx machine for a Prosharp unit that will profile as well as sharpen as I have found limits with the Sparx. Don’t get me wrong- the Sparx is a FANTASTIC option for many who don’t have access to a good sharpening experience, but that machine will maintain a profile good or bad. It also does not cross-grind (I was literally three months out from buying the pro unit), but have figured a way around that.

I will be posting about the one piece True once I have made the decision on whether or not I will order. But I will confirm once and for all whether or not an Overdrive blade can be installed.

@Jonathon v the Overdrive is something that is most likely not legal in your league.

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

It is a listing for Blacksteel. 

I own the two piece True skate. I don’t know lots about the One Piece True *yet*, but may be getting a set for my own purposes, as I endeavour to install a set of Overdrive blades on a pair, being an Overdrive dealer and installer. I would also like to become a True skate dealer, as I believe they make a great skate with fantastic options.

I do know a fair bit about Step Steel, as I will eventually become a dealership to supplement my skate sharpening business. Eventually, I will supplant my Sparx machine for a Prosharp unit that will profile as well as sharpen as I have found limits with the Sparx. Don’t get me wrong- the Sparx is a FANTASTIC option for many who don’t have access to a good sharpening experience, but that machine will maintain a profile good or bad. It also does not cross-grind (I was literally three months out from buying the pro unit), but have figured a way around that.

I will be posting about the one piece True once I have made the decision on whether or not I will order. But I will confirm once and for all whether or not an Overdrive blade can be installed.

@Jonathon v the Overdrive is something that is most likely not legal in your league.

ok so is the blacksteel on goalie monkey? Also I was wondering about if I get custom if I can do anything to make the skate stiffer for even better energy transfer?

10 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

ok so is the blacksteel on goalie monkey? Also I was wondering about if I get custom if I can do anything to make the skate stiffer for even better energy transfer?

Yes, sir! Monkey also has regular flavour Step steel for the True skate.

I think you would not need anything else in the layup to make those skates any stiffer unless you were over 250 lbs! The short “towers” on the skates’s blade holders definitely would equate stiffness. A LOT of carbon fabric goes in for a piece like that! Most people I do know using them (as I see a couple pair in the wild) say that the energy transfer is what they noticed FIRST. These were former cowling users, but users of the two piece would notice a similar performance gain. I do hear a different sound from crease movements. 

I am checking into all of the particulars as I am particularly keen on extra shot protection as I am a confirmed “hybrid” goalie. Otherwise I may have to do a bit of modding with some fibrous content...

14 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Yes, sir! Monkey also has regular flavour Step steel for the True skate.

I think you would not need anything else in the layup to make those skates any stiffer unless you were over 250 lbs! The short “towers” on the skates’s blade holders definitely would equate stiffness. A LOT of carbon fabric goes in for a piece like that! Most people I do know using them (as I see a couple pair in the wild) say that the energy transfer is what they noticed FIRST. These were former cowling users, but users of the two piece would notice a similar performance gain. I do hear a different sound from crease movements. 

I am checking into all of the particulars as I am particularly keen on extra shot protection as I am a confirmed “hybrid” goalie. Otherwise I may have to do a bit of modding with some fibrous content...

Im 15 and 5 foot 8, 145 pounds so I don't think I would need to make it stiffer lol. only reason I want to do that is for the even better energy transfer. Would the additional protection remove a bit of the energy transfer of this skate? Also If my feet are still growing the guy told me I can ask them to make room to grow but heres another big question of mine: If I have them make room to grow on the skate will the energy transfer be less good? My thinking is that I can't decide if the skate has great energy transfer because of the almost perfect fit or is it because it is 1 piece... Your thoughts? Also is there any benefits to a custom tongue or should I stick with stock

9 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

Im 15 and 5 foot 8, 145 pounds so I don't think I would need to make it stiffer lol. only reason I want to do that is for the even better energy transfer. Would the additional protection remove a bit of the energy transfer of this skate? Also If my feet are still growing the guy told me I can ask them to make room to grow but heres another big question of mine: If I have them make room to grow on the skate will the energy transfer be less good? My thinking is that I can't decide if the skate has great energy transfer because of the almost perfect fit or is it because it is 1 piece... Your thoughts? Also is there any benefits to a custom tongue or should I stick with stock

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/catalog/product/view/id/219887 also I think this is the steel, it doesn't say it fits with 1 piece true skates But I will take your word on it. Does the sizes 6.0, 7.0 and 11.0 mean it only works with skates in those sizes?

Shot blockers would likely not result in a loss of stiffness. If anything it may increase it slightly. As far as giving your feet room to grow, that would also most likely not affect stiffness. What would most likely happen from what I am hearing is that your skate would be sized slightly larger with padding in the toe that would be removed later; you would have to confirm with the fitter that is what would be happening. I would surmise that if any room to grow is given, it would be no more than 1/2 a size up. Unless you have supreme lacebite problems, a custom tongue would be overkill. 

As far as energy transfer goes- it us the construction if the boot and the fact that the boot and holder are fused, essentially making it one piece.

9 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Black - https://www.goaliemonkey.com/catalog/product/view/id/351258

Regular - https://www.goaliemonkey.com/catalog/product/view/id/351264

If you read the name of the item, you could have figured it out quickly.

See @Jonathon v? Mr @ZeroGravitas found both listings for us! Thank you Mr. Gravitas! 

My suggestion for @Jonathon v would be to get a couple of sets of steel, have them profiled and switch them out at each sharpening so that they wear evenly. Get them when you buy your skates. 

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

See @Jonathon v? Mr @ZeroGravitas found both listings for us! Thank you Mr. Gravitas! 

My suggestion for @Jonathon v would be to get a couple of sets of steel, have them profiled and switch them out at each sharpening so that they wear evenly. Get them when you buy your skates. 

ok i dont know what profiled means but im assuming sharpneed. Thanks everyone so much for the help

2 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

ok i dont know what profiled means but im assuming sharpneed. Thanks everyone so much for the help

Profiling means that the blade is ground to a profile optimal for you and your skating style. Sometimes the blades may not be the same height, though with Step, they are better about being more consistent. But on a $1K skate, you want everything to be bang on! Also- the edge of the runner will be consistent and flat. As I say- on a skate you’re dropping that type of dosh on, profiling makes sense.

Archived