1 piece true skate steel

Jonathon v

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Profiling means that the blade is ground to a profile optimal for you and your skating style. Sometimes the blades may not be the same height, though with Step, they are better about being more consistent. But on a $1K skate, you want everything to be bang on! Also- the edge of the runner will be consistent and flat. As I say- on a skate you’re dropping that type of dosh on, profiling makes sense.

could i ask my local jerrys to help me with profiling I wouldn't know what to do

@Jonathon v in the words of the late Big Poppa, it's all about the Benjamins. These are top of the line skates so the question is really about your budget. If you don't mind shelling out another $1k a year or two down the road, when your feet stop growing, then its worth it (plus you'll likely have some salvage value for this pair in secondary market as long as you take care of them***). I'm not even sure how you'd place that order. Would you get your feet scanned and then tell them to add an inch certain places? The fit plus the construction is what you're paying for and will provide the best "energy transfer" that you clearly want. *** If your feet are oddly shaped then you might have trouble selling to someone else if its a fully custom boot. Just keep that in mind when thinking about budget.

If your feet are still growing and your heart is set on a pair of True 1-piece skates, then you should scan the secondary markets (Sideline Swap, eBay, here, etc.) for a used pair or pro return. If you're still in youth sizes then I'd imagine there will be very few used options for you in a used 1-piece (if at all).

If I were you I'd just try buy a used Bauer 1/2S, 1/2X or CCM AS1 and kick the can down the road until your feet stop growing before getting the Trues (or whatever else is available then). These skates will have excellent energy transfer for a fraction of the price given most are once piece boot construction. The AS1's are lower to the ice if you like that about the 1-piece True plus the "cowling" is basically non-existent.

7 hours ago, Jonathon v said:

could i ask my local jerrys to help me with profiling I wouldn't know what to do

You can send to Bob at No Icing Sports if you don't have a LHS that profiles. He has a mail order program that a lot of people use. He will also help you figure out what profile you need or give suggestions. Worked well for me.

18 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

@Jonathon v in the words of the late Big Poppa, it's all about the Benjamins. These are top of the line skates so the question is really about your budget. If you don't mind shelling out another $1k a year or two down the road, when your feet stop growing, then its worth it (plus you'll likely have some salvage value for this pair in secondary market as long as you take care of them***). I'm not even sure how you'd place that order. Would you get your feet scanned and then tell them to add an inch certain places? The fit plus the construction is what you're paying for and will provide the best "energy transfer" that you clearly want. *** If your feet are oddly shaped then you might have trouble selling to someone else if its a fully custom boot. Just keep that in mind when thinking about budget.

If your feet are still growing and your heart is set on a pair of True 1-piece skates, then you should scan the secondary markets (Sideline Swap, eBay, here, etc.) for a used pair or pro return. If you're still in youth sizes then I'd imagine there will be very few used options for you in a used 1-piece (if at all).

If I were you I'd just try buy a used Bauer 1/2S, 1/2X or CCM AS1 and kick the can down the road until your feet stop growing before getting the Trues (or whatever else is available then). These skates will have excellent energy transfer for a fraction of the price given most are once piece boot construction. The AS1's are lower to the ice if you like that about the 1-piece True plus the "cowling" is basically non-existent.

@Jonathon v Mr. stew makes a few GREAT points. 

The AS1 “cowling” is riveted in the arch of the skate as well as the other places probably helping with additional power transfer. 

1 hour ago, dstew29 said:

You can send to Bob at No Icing Sports if you don't have a LHS that profiles. He has a mail order program that a lot of people use. He will also help you figure out what profile you need or give suggestions. Worked well for me.

Bob does amazing work.  I have a set of Tydan steel heading to him as we speak.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 9:22 PM, Jonathon v said:

Is there anywhere I could get more of this steel without having to buy it with the true skates for an extra 140 dollars per set of steel? Also I have heard they don’t get sharpened like normal steel is this true too? Also if I say sharpen my skates at  half an inch once every week or two how long do you think the blades will last

@Jonathon v I've been skating in my new 1-piece Trues for about a week now and wanted to get a second set of steel so I ordered a pair direct from Bob at No Icing Sports. The steel itself was about $115 USD but I also got them profiled and sharpened for another $35 USD. The profile Bob recommended for me was a dual radius 20"/32" with medium forward pitch. I've used this profile on my last set of skates so I can personally attest that it's very comfortable and was an improvement from the stock radius that Graf uses.

@Tim_TRUEHockey Can you share any tips / videos / etc. for replacing runners on the 1-piece Trues? I think I spent 5 minutes trying to remove one of my runners last night without any success.  Hopefully there is a method that I'm just unaware of? Thanks in advance.

On 4/24/2019 at 11:03 AM, dstew29 said:

@Jonathon v I've been skating in my new 1-piece Trues for about a week now and wanted to get a second set of steel so I ordered a pair direct from Bob at No Icing Sports. The steel itself was about $115 USD but I also got them profiled and sharpened for another $35 USD. The profile Bob recommended for me was a dual radius 20"/32" with medium forward pitch. I've used this profile on my last set of skates so I can personally attest that it's very comfortable and was an improvement from the stock radius that Graf uses.

@Tim_TRUEHockey Can you share any tips / videos / etc. for replacing runners on the 1-piece Trues? I think I spent 5 minutes trying to remove one of my runners last night without any success.  Hopefully there is a method that I'm just unaware of? Thanks in advance.

Wondering if someone can explain something for me. So you got your skates profiled 20"/32" and I have been considering sending my blades to Bob as well but I really don't know what I want or need. I've read he'll ask some questions and figure out what's best for me if I have no idea which is fine. My actual question is this. Your blades get profiled to that radius, when you get them sharpened by whomever you use to sharpen your skates do you lose the profiling after a while? I know that I definitely want a more forward pitch but I'm worried about a crappy sharpener ruining the profile. (if that can even happen)

1 hour ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Wondering if someone can explain something for me. So you got your skates profiled 20"/32" and I have been considering sending my blades to Bob as well but I really don't know what I want or need. I've read he'll ask some questions and figure out what's best for me if I have no idea which is fine. My actual question is this. Your blades get profiled to that radius, when you get them sharpened by whomever you use to sharpen your skates do you lose the profiling after a while? I know that I definitely want a more forward pitch but I'm worried about a crappy sharpener ruining the profile. (if that can even happen)

Yes, this will likely happen. If whomever sharpens them doesn’t have the ability to profile (special rigs or sometimes machine itself) then they won’t be able to follow exact same same template when they sharpen them. This is why Bob has his mail in sharpening program and it’s more cost effective if you have two sets to rotate and send in together. It’s really just a little added shipping cost. 

8 hours ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Sparx and Prosharp do the best to maintain your profile, but you still need to have it refreshed even if you use a Sparx or Prosharp. Hand sharpening does tend to reshape to a different profile, in some cases as few as five sharpening sessions. The blade height naturally changes after multiple times with a sharpener, flattening out the profile. Some guys that hand sharpen also tend to over-round the toe and heel of the blade. I am not going after hand sharpeners, as I will even contend that the best sharpening I have had was (whether by hand or machine) by Joe from CSW when he worked at my favourite Total Hockey location. 

I do believe that NoIcing uses a ProSharp for their profiling services, and the best way to maintain that profile would be to use a shoppe that has a ProSharp or buy a personal home ProSharp. This coming from a guy who uses a Sparx for his own business. I will own a professional ProSharp unit one day, stating this for full dislosure. 

9 hours ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Also- @dstew29 and @DL42 are bang on, as well!

Archived