Bauer Supreme 1S Skates

TheGoalNet

On 3/3/2017 at 10:22 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Bunny, do you think any of the Vaughn skates that you've tried would provide enough protection without a cowling?  From what I remember of the various reviews I've read over the years I remember that they're not as stiff as today's composite skates but more than older skates like the 7000, etc.

No.  As stiff as they are, I really think that they are not made for impacts like a VH or Supreme S1 skate boot.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/3/2017 at 10:23 PM, bunnyman666 said:

When I played junior hockey, that's when my sharpening habit went up. My trainer laughed at how dull my skates were!!!! My play improved immensely with the correct hollow. Of course I played wing as a junior. Twenty five years after the fact, I still sharpen every 4-6 hours on ice. Mind that it is really just a touch up on my steel, but I love a fresh edge. I get an asymmetrical edge, and I love a good bite on my inside edge.

But with your habits, your skate will wear out before your steel does, and if that works for you, that's great!

I actually prefer a good fresh sharpening too.  I go with 3/8.  It just usually lasts long enough for me to not have to sharpen so often.  I only play 1-2 times a week.

6 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I actually prefer a good fresh sharpening too.  I go with 3/8.  It just usually lasts long enough for me to not have to sharpen so often.  I only play 1-2 times a week.

I only get on 1-2x per week, as well! I sharpen every three weeks!  But when I played Junior, I replaced Tuuks (I'm old enough to have had clear Tuuks and blue Perfektas) two times per season!

On 3/3/2017 at 10:34 PM, bunnyman666 said:

I only get on 1-2x per week, as well! I sharpen every three weeks!  But when I played Junior, I replaced Tuuks (I'm old enough to have had clear Tuuks and blue Perfektas) two times per season!

Also part of the reason I go so long is the guy who does my skates is impossible to get ahold of.  Doesn't return phone calls, takes forever to answer texts.  There is just no one else around who is anywhere near as good as him.  All the local rinks are awful.  He used to work for the Islanders, back in the 90s I think.  

34 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Also part of the reason I go so long is the guy who does my skates is impossible to get ahold of.  Doesn't return phone calls, takes forever to answer texts.  There is just no one else around who is anywhere near as good as him.  All the local rinks are awful.  He used to work for the Islanders, back in the 90s I think.  

I understand that! I would climb walls and have kittens if that's the relationship I had with a sharpener. Reminds me of pool repair/maintenance people...

I am lucky that I have only had two abysmal sharpenings from Total Hockey, and they are literally available nearly any time. 

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I understand that! I would climb walls and have kittens if that's the relationship I had with a sharpener. Reminds me of pool repair/maintenance people...

I am lucky that I have only had two abysmal sharpenings from Total Hockey, and they are literally available nearly any time. 

Yea I do everything I can to remain in his good graces.  He sharpens out of his garage.  I've had people tell me that he told them they're no longer welcome because they pulled into his driveway.  I make sure I go a few houses past him to turn around haha.  Always park in the street, never block his mailbox, never walk up to the house without texting him to let him know I am there.

Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yea I do everything I can to remain in his good graces.  He sharpens out of his garage.  I've had people tell me they he told them they're no longer welcome because they pulled into his driveway.  I make sure I go a few houses past him to turn around haha.  Always park in the street, never block his mailbox, never walk up to the house without texting him to let him know I am there.

Gah! Must be that good to put up with that kind of baloney.

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Pretty sure its something like Maximum Edge.

Okay- you never know what some people use. I always wanted to learn how to sharpen skates!

I thought about getting a Sparx, as the low price is seductive, but I am uncertain of long-term durability. A Prosharp is about as reliable and consistent as you can get, albeit very mechanical, not to mention EXPENSIVE. These are, of course, the set the skate on the machine and let it do it's work type. I think that No Icing uses the Prosharp, especially since he offers the Z-hollow, which seems to be a Prosharp exclusive. IMO- a human touch is STILL needed on the mechanised, automatic machines...

A former Avalanche equipment guy used to sharpen skates at an Ace hardware store in my parts. I have no idea if he still does...

9 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Okay- you never know what some people use. I always wanted to learn how to sharpen skates!

I thought about getting a Sparx, as the low price is seductive, but I am uncertain of long-term durability. A Prosharp is about as reliable and consistent as you can get, albeit very mechanical, not to mention EXPENSIVE. These are, of course, the set the skate on the machine and let it do it's work type. I think that No Icing uses the Prosharp, especially since he offers the Z-hollow, which seems to be a Prosharp exclusive. IMO- a human touch is STILL needed on the mechanised, automatic machines...

A former Avalanche equipment guy used to sharpen skates at an Ace hardware store in my parts. I have no idea if he still does...

Oh no he does it all by hand. 

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

As noted above. The 2nd baking fixed all my comfort issues 

Late to the thread... did you consider getting a replacement composite piece from Shawn Schroeder at Kustom Composites?  I know a lot of guys grab them one the cutout shows major wear. 

I'm super excited to try a set of cowlingless skates.  I'd lead toward the VH 2 piece but the Vapor line has me curious 

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

Late to the thread... did you consider getting a replacement composite piece from Shawn Schroeder at Kustom Composites?  I know a lot of guys grab them one the cutout shows major wear. 

I'm super excited to try a set of cowlingless skates.  I'd lead toward the VH 2 piece but the Vapor line has me curious 

Shawn has no place to work right now ?

But a few others also build them, albeit without the Shawn touch.

I had a bunch of questions on IG about the ankle pain that I encountered.  I am guessing the boots might need a tad bid more volume around the ankle to accommodate a broader range of feet? If anyone reads this article and has any pan, I strongly suggest loosening up the skates. 

For my second bake, I did not tighten the skates that much. I also conscientiously made an effort to not over tighten them while in use. The combo there of has eliminated any signs of pain.

I did a two hour practice yesterday with junior kids. My feet were about the only part of my body that didn't hurt after the skate.  

• 1 month later...

Update, I have found that depending on how I tie my skates, I can get a little redness still on my inner ankle. No blister and no pain during use. 

Other than feeling like "something isnt right" when I see the redness, no issues with the performance or comfort. I cannot decide if I want to just live with this or research getting maybe wider 1Ss or 1Xs 

• 3 weeks later...

So I emailed both Total Goalie and Bauer from my personal email address for some input.

Total Hockey has been super helpful and Bauer basically said it's not a warranty issue buzz off. 

As I a result of the Total Hockey e-mails, I am being  cautious of how I put my feet in and am tying them crazy tight. This had made a huge difference. No redness in the last 4 skates and the skates feel 100 times better. 

I believe in a bit, the boot will fully mold into this position and the issues can be considered corrected. They feel exactly like how they did when I baked them and I am very happy 

Do you wear a D or EE width @TheGoalNet? I'm a D width in all of my skates, but when I tried the 1S I had to go EE. Also, the 1X is much tighter in the ankle and the top cushion on the tongue to prevent lace bite, to me, presses down on the top of my foot, just south of where my toes begin.

Also, wearing Superfeet (not sure if they have been mentioned in this thread) would help significantly with the blisters and rubbing you experience on your feet. As long as they're sized properly, they keep your feet in a neutral position and prevent your feet from moving in the skate due to it's raised heel cup and raised arch. Without proper foot support, your feet widen out and elongate every time you make a movement, likely causing the rubbing you feel in your skates. I'm not a SF rep by any means but I live and breathe by these things. They come w/ a 60 day guarantee (in Canada at least) where you can try them out for 60 days and if you don't like them, you can return them to wherever you bought them. 

On 6/8/2017 at 3:36 PM, djtendy said:

Do you wear a D or EE width @TheGoalNet? I'm a D width in all of my skates, but when I tried the 1S I had to go EE. Also, the 1X is much tighter in the ankle and the top cushion on the tongue to prevent lace bite, to me, presses down on the top of my foot, just south of where my toes begin.

Also, wearing Superfeet (not sure if they have been mentioned in this thread) would help significantly with the blisters and rubbing you experience on your feet. As long as they're sized properly, they keep your feet in a neutral position and prevent your feet from moving in the skate due to it's raised heel cup and raised arch. Without proper foot support, your feet widen out and elongate every time you make a movement, likely causing the rubbing you feel in your skates. I'm not a SF rep by any means but I live and breathe by these things. They come w/ a 60 day guarantee (in Canada at least) where you can try them out for 60 days and if you don't like them, you can return them to wherever you bought them. 

Thanks for the detailed info. The skates felt great during each bake and the person helping me at the store wasn't knowledgeable enough to recommend trying a wider width before we baked. I am also past the 60 days, so there is not much I can do. 

As I mentioned, I am not getting pain or feeling any of the slipping during the skate, just was noticing small blisters post skate. I know blisters are not good and that's why I was revisiting this. It was never much of a comfort issue

With that said, being very specific to pop / lock my heel into place and tying them super tight has made a huge difference. My last 3 skates were blister free. The skates feel like they did during the bake and I can feel my arch connect more with the boot more than before. 

I have some superfeet in my old One100 player skates that I used to coach in. If the blisters come back, I will throw those in my 1S

Do you have super feet in yours? If you kept the stock insole, did you leave the toe padding there?

On 6/9/2017 at 9:46 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Thanks for the detailed info. The skates felt great during each bake and the person helping me at the store wasn't knowledgeable enough to recommend trying a wider width before we baked. I am also past the 60 days, so there is not much I can do. 

As I mentioned, I am not getting pain or feeling any of the slipping during the skate, just was noticing small blisters post skate. I know blisters are not good and that's why I was revisiting this. It was never much of a comfort issue

With that said, being very specific to pop / lock my heel into place and tying them super tight has made a huge difference. My last 3 skates were blister free. The skates feel like they did during the bake and I can feel my arch connect more with the boot more than before. 

I have some superfeet in my old One100 player skates that I used to coach in. If the blisters come back, I will throw those in my 1S

Do you have super feet in yours? If you kept the stock insole, did you leave the toe padding there?

When I tried on the 1S (I am still in my old Reebok 10Ks) I had to get the Superfeet in there - the Bauer stock insoles are trash IMO. I wear an 8D Reebok (and I think they're a little big/loose in the ankle, even with the pump) and needed an 8.5EE in the 1S. No questions asked - I could barely even get my foot into the D width.

The Superfeet, as mentioned in my above post, when fit properly, do wonders. I have yellows in my skates, and the carbons in all of my outside shoes, and the blacks in my dress shoes. Wearing footwear without them just doesn't feel right to me. The blisters will come from friction and the superfeet help keep your foot steady, minimizing friction and minimizing your chances of blisters. Locking your heel works wonders, too! I'm glad you've been able to rid the blisters so far!!

2 hours ago, djtendy said:

When I tried on the 1S (I am still in my old Reebok 10Ks) I had to get the Superfeet in there - the Bauer stock insoles are trash IMO. I wear an 8D Reebok (and I think they're a little big/loose in the ankle, even with the pump) and needed an 8.5EE in the 1S. No questions asked - I could barely even get my foot into the D width.

The Superfeet, as mentioned in my above post, when fit properly, do wonders. I have yellows in my skates, and the carbons in all of my outside shoes, and the blacks in my dress shoes. Wearing footwear without them just doesn't feel right to me. The blisters will come from friction and the superfeet help keep your foot steady, minimizing friction and minimizing your chances of blisters. Locking your heel works wonders, too! I'm glad you've been able to rid the blisters so far!!

This is actually funny. I was asking the guy in the store if I should buy speed plates or superfeet and he told me to skip them unless I got bad blisters. I appreciated the tip and liked that he didn't just try to blindly sell them to me. . . Maybe it wasn't a great tip though!!! 

I attributed my blisters to the tongue moving and not my foot moving... but who knows. Unless they come back again, I am a happy camper 

Archived