Re-shaping glove break?

HP29

I feel this is the most stupid question I’ve ever asked, even going back to the GSBB, but here goes...

Is it possible to gently manipulate and reshape a glove break? (i.e. heat, moisture, elbow grease, etc.)

I have a Brian’s Alite, and the 35° break really isn’t for me. I’ve always much preferred the 60° break on my 590 iterations over the years, and that has only been dethroned by playing around with a Warrior G4 (75° option.)

Anyhow, I’m stuck with this mitt until probably the new year, without the immediate option to sell and flip, or have a guy like Dave Wilcox rip it open and create a new break. 

It feels unnatural and I am always very conscious of my glove hand. The bigger problem, though, is stick handling. I can still launch bombs, but there just isn’t enough depth in the palm to have good control with my bottom hand. It almost feels like the T is in the way of my palm, and I can only get a bit of the palm heel on the stick  

So, the actual question - could I possibly coerce this poor mitt into a slightly different shape or closure without cutting it open?

Any tips are greatly appreciated. 

Just looking for any improvement until I can upgrade in a few months. Thanks!

I can't imagine this actually being possible.  A glove's break is the way it is because of the way it is designed, cut, and constructed. 

You could very likely change the way it opens/closes by breaking some of the internal components (by crushing, cracking, twisting, etc), but I would say definitively that that is a very bad idea.

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

I can't imagine this actually being possible.  A glove's break is the way it is because of the way it is designed, cut, and constructed. 

You could very likely change the way it opens/closes by breaking some of the internal components (by crushing, cracking, twisting, etc), but I would say definitively that that is a very bad idea.

1 hour ago, southpawtendy48 said:

^This

unless you have a interchangeable palm like with warrior, there’s really no good way to go about reshaping a glove break into something it’s not. 

Yep... figured this is what I'd get. I can't see any conceivable way either, but held out hope lol. Thanks anyways for chiming in.

I've been in the game long enough that I can make anything work (this mitt has been in use since before Christmas), but I'll most definitely be switching at the first opportunity.

23 minutes ago, HP29 said:

Yep... figured this is what I'd get. I can't see any conceivable way either, but held out hope lol. Thanks anyways for chiming in.

I've been in the game long enough that I can make anything work (this mitt has been in use since before Christmas), but I'll most definitely be switching at the first opportunity.

Nice.

What are you switching to?

Leaning heavily towards a G4. I really liked the feel, and managed to get my hands on the blocker as well for some stick handling. Felt super light and natural in my hand.

I've read that the GT2 improves upon that feel, but my only gripe is no interchangeable liner. Although, if it ain't broke...

Anyhow, Warrior is really winning me over these days.

20 minutes ago, HP29 said:

Leaning heavily towards a G4. I really liked the feel, and managed to get my hands on the blocker as well for some stick handling. Felt super light and natural in my hand.

I've read that the GT2 improves upon that feel, but my only gripe is no interchangeable liner. Although, if it ain't broke...

Anyhow, Warrior is really winning me over these days.

If you're sticking with the 75 degree break on the G4, then the removable liner isn't super necessary. Unless you're real set on being able to wash the internals of course. 

19 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

^This

unless you have a interchangeable palm like with warrior, there’s really no good way to go about reshaping a glove break into something it’s not. 

All the warrior palms do is change the finger angles. That should be able to be done with just about any glove.

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

While you're correct on the first part, changing the thumb/finger stalls on a traditional glove isn't easy.

Exactly .

That'd require a very a thorough deconstruction and reconfiguration. 

That's a lot of stitching. 

It does bring up a good point though: how do multiple different palm/finger stalls work in the same glove that doesn't physically change ...yet it is perceived as changing the break?

23 minutes ago, seagoal said:

It does bring up a good point though: how do multiple different palm/finger stalls work in the same glove that doesn't physically change ...yet it is perceived as changing the break?

I've used it in store and played with all three liners. There is a noticeable difference. You aren't getting a full 60/90 break, but the overall feeling is there enough for it to feel like a different glove.

Though I'm sure if you're coming from a 590 and want to try a G4 with a 60 degree liner, you're going to be thrown off as the overall glove is still a 75 break.

18 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

If you're sticking with the 75 degree break on the G4, then the removable liner isn't super necessary. Unless you're real set on being able to wash the internals of course. 

Good point! Exactly what I was getting at.

I'm sure the term "more natural" is pretty subjective (re: the GT2), but I'll still give it a go when the time comes. As I said, I love the stock G4, so this could potentially provide a greater feel for me.

Archived