NWHL on Twitch

loki1416

The NWHL signed a 3yr deal to broadcast all games on twitch (you can watch for free!). I have a friend/teammate who signed last weekend with the Metropolitan Riveters (#12 Nichelle Simon, from Huntsville, AL), so really looking forward to this. Liked watching the games before whenever I could, but now it has that "personal" aspect to it.

Article: https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/nwhl-signs-three-year-streaming-deal-with-twitch-receives-broadcasting-rights-fee

NWHL Homepage: https://www.nwhl.zone/

54 minutes ago, loki1416 said:

I have been following the story since the CWHL shut down. I guess Knox in the 2nd article hinted that what the players really want is the NHL to step in and operate a league for them similar to the NBA Running the WMBA. I can understand from a business prospective why the NHL doesn’t want to do it. I am guessing your friend and teammate was not one of the women join the players association and pledge to sit out this season? 

I've been following this as well, looks like the NHL won't do anything while there's still a league in operation. They don't want to step on any toes, and I get that.

At the same time, I believe it's only a matter of time until the NWHL has to throw in the towel. When you have players working 2 jobs outside of hockey just to pay the bills, it's not really sustainable long-term. For the growth/long-term viability of women's hockey, an NHL-backed league only makes sense in my opinion.

On 9/22/2019 at 7:01 PM, loki1416 said:

So can you give us a TLDR version of the first one for those of us who don't care enough to read it at all?  Going by the rest of the conversation I am assuming the women who are playing are scabs/replacements?

@SaveByRichter35 This is literally the whole thing from the first link. Not sure how I could shorten it any more and still keep it coherent.

Female pro hockey players from Canada and the US announced that they would sit out the upcoming season.

Until last week, there were 2 pro women’s hockey leagues in North America: the National Women’s Hockey League (based in the US) and The Canadian Women’s Hockey League (based in — you guessed it — Canada).

But after the CWHL closed last week, 200 players announced they would refuse to play in the NWHL — until it improves working conditions for its players.

Female hockey players are barely skating by

Players in pro women’s hockey don’t have health insurance, and some made as little as $2k per season, making it impossible to play full time.

But now, united under the banner of a hashtag (#ForTheGame), the best hockey-playing women in the world are insisting that women should not accept less than $25k to play professionally.

Some critics are calling upon the NHL to intervene to help keep women on the ice this coming season.

Archived